Subject: How do you win this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 10 times with 5 players and lost all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
digicube wrote:
It IS tough to win. I have played 6 times so far, and have only won once. The win came in a two player game. The losses occurred three times in a 3-player game, once in a 4-player game and and once in a 5-player game. Two of the losses, however were extremely close (5-player game, and one of the 3-player games).

One key seems to be DO NOT PLAY HARD KNOCK CARDS until very late in the game. They are KILLERS! If you can find some way to avoid most of them until you have emptied the trial deck and are attempting to win at that point, you will have chance. If everyone can empty their hands on that final turn, it doesn't matter if you are over the limit of hard knocks played. A single player could have 4, 5, or more hard knocks played, but, if you have emptied the trial deck and all cards in your hands, you will have met the conditions for winning the game. Since those conditions will have been met at that exact moment, you do not have to worry about all those hard knock cards that have been played on that final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It IS tough to win.
Yes.

Quote:
One key seems to be DO NOT PLAY HARD KNOCK CARDS until very late in the game.
I can't let that stand unqualified. There are some hard knocks that are killers, but not all. On the contrary, it is important that you get rid of some hard knocks over the game, otherwise you end with final rounds in which you can do nothing but try to get rid of hard knocks, which means that you have to lose morale often because you cannot get rid of more than 2 (maybe 3, rarely 4) hard knocks per round. We have lost games that way.
The trick is to get rid of the most dangerous hard knocks before they hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
Quote:
It IS tough to win.
Yes.

Quote:
I cant let that stand unqualified. There are some hard knocks that are killers, but not all. On the contrary, it is important that you get rid of some hard knocks over the game, otherwise you end with final rounds in which you can do nothing but try to get rid of hard knocks, which means that you have to lose morale often because you cannot get rid of more than 2 (maybe 3, rarely 4) hard knocks per round. We have lost games that way.
... and play them in pairs if possible...

There are other threads with many hints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
It can't rain all the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been able to win a game with more than 3 players. I never thought a game would come along that makes me think of 2000's Lord of the Rings as a lighthearted, laid back co-op game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack Shaw
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver RPG CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Played twice with my kids. We won both, but it was very close both times. We sat on hard knock cards for as long as we could.
That was with a 2 and then a 3 player game. I could see how larger groups are tougher as getting the support to the right player is more of a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 games played with 4 players and won every game. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolvercote wrote:
Definitely, but it's a bit hard to say what without any information at all. Did you watch any gameplay videos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wolvercote wrote:
One of the biggest hurdle is that you are not allowed to talk about what cards you have in your hand, or who you are going to support when you retreat.

I usually win games where the support activates most of the time (ties are nasty), and that the speech gets rid of a high amount of cards. One game we were completely devastated was that one person couldn't talk, another had to go random support, and we didn't get any support as it would end up as a 2-2 vote or 1-1-1-1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
digicube wrote:
It IS tough to win. I have played 6 times so far, and have only won once. The win came in a two player game. The losses occurred three times in a 3-player game, once in a 4-player game and and once in a 5-player game. Two of the losses, however were extremely close (5-player game, and one of the 3-player games).

One key seems to be DO NOT PLAY HARD KNOCK CARDS until very late in the game. They are KILLERS! If you can find some way to avoid most of them until you have emptied the trial deck and are attempting to win at that point, you will have chance. If everyone can empty their hands on that final turn, it doesn't matter if you are over the limit of hard knocks played. A single player could have 4, 5, or more hard knocks played, but, if you have emptied the trial deck and all cards in your hands, you will have met the conditions for winning the game. Since those conditions will have been met at that exact moment, you do not have to worry about all those hard knock cards that have been played on that final turn.
Actually, the rules, in the Support section of the game state that the Support Phase is checked prior to Victory Condition, and if a player has 4 or more Hard Knocks, the team still loses. If NOT, then the Victory condition is checked. This is per version 1.1 of the French Rules translated to English (Page 5 of 7 here: http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_download.php?filetype=appli... in bold) and verified in the English rulebook of my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not what the french or the english rules say. They both say that the game is lost if someone has at least 4 hard knocks after a support phase (so having them before is ok), and they both say that the game is won WHEN (not "if" - in french they say "quand", not "si") there are no cards left in the players hands. While the defeat condition explicitely mentions the timing in the support phase, the victory condidion does not, instead victory happens immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Américo Dávila Alvarado
Mexico
Saltillo
Coahuila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math wont lie .. is impossible to win this game in a 5 players game ... the only way to win a 5 players game is

1.-Cheat
2.-Intentionally forget a rule
3.-Have the only 2 combination of cards that make you win the game ..

other than that ... game loss

I played this game more than 10 times 5 players .. annihilated each time ..

crycrycrycrycrycrycrycrycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Wong
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
PunTheHun wrote:
Quote:
I cant let that stand unqualified. There are some hard knocks that are killers, but not all. On the contrary, it is important that you get rid of some hard knocks over the game, otherwise you end with final rounds in which you can do nothing but try to get rid of hard knocks, which means that you have to lose morale often because you cannot get rid of more than 2 (maybe 3, rarely 4) hard knocks per round. We have lost games that way.
... and play them in pairs if possible...

There are other threads with many hints.
Also, play them in best order. The rules state that in some circumstances, the oldest card overrules the other card. This is useful for when doing support or withdraw. I can't remember the specifics, but I remember the first card cancelling out the second. It was something like the player having to withdraw early, and not being able to leave until he had an empty hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls