Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We're on our third run and we're stuck. We see all five pentagrams and have successfully decoded "Read Item", but after that we've hit a wall.

Is there anything else we need to decode the pentagrams besides the dayroom painting and the staff photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good that you decoded READ ITEM

There's hints for you in the spoilers. Each one more revealing than the previous:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are two clues which point to which item you must read

one clue is in a letter

One clue is in the girl's painting in the dayroom

++++-, southeast and then clockwise

This should give you: READ ITEM 19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly C.

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope you're not missing anything, the dayroom painting helps with the last piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
Good that you decoded READ ITEM

There's hints for you in the spoilers. Each one more revealing than the previous:

There are two clues which point to which item you must read

one clue is in a letter

One clue is in the girl's painting in the dayroom

++++-, southeast and then clockwise

This should give you: READ ITEM 19
Thank you so much for the progressive hints. I completely face palmed when I realized it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I found hilarious is that I played through this once and watched another group play through it once and in both games someone was sitting there saying "Read It Em? That doesn't make any sense, is Em short for something?" Followed eventually by a face palm when they realized it was Item. (And yes, I was the one saying that the first time. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to talk facepalm...we spent around 20-30 minutes looking for the 5th pentagram. We even counted every item card in the game because we thought we were missing one. Eventually we realized it had been staring us in the face the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Germany
Lauffen a.N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:
You want to talk facepalm...we spent around 20-30 minutes looking for the 5th pentagram. We even counted every item card in the game because we thought we were missing one. Eventually we realized it had been staring us in the face the whole time.
haha...good to see others had the same problems...even though the fifth pentagram was infront of us a long enough time, we discovered it only by accidient, while looking for a seemingly missing card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ludy
United States
Ijamsville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:
So we finished Asylum last night. We succeeded and had little problem getting to Read Item but the number and how to deduce it still eludes me. In the end we guessed and looked at the Item numbers still in the deck and picked the one that seemed to fit. Not very satisfying.

What am I missing on that 5th pentagram and its number? I still don't see it as I think it could have been one of three possibilities for awhile and then one of two and guessed from there. What was staring you in the face?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludyee wrote:
BoardGameQuest wrote:
So we finished Asylum last night. We succeeded and had little problem getting to Read Item but the number and how to deduce it still eludes me. In the end we guessed and looked at the Item numbers still in the deck and picked the one that seemed to fit. Not very satisfying.

What am I missing on that 5th pentagram and its number? I still don't see it as I think it could have been one of three possibilities for awhile and then one of two and guessed from there. What was staring you in the face?
Go through the series of hints that were posted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ludyee wrote:
Are you saying that you couldn't read the number as written on the card?

If you could, here's some spoilerage:
The way to get to 19 is clues in two places. The first is ++++- on the painting in the day room (indicating that you add the first four numbers and then subtract the last, which gets you to 19), and the second is one of the handwritten notes that also talks about subtracting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ludy
United States
Ijamsville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
ludyee wrote:
BoardGameQuest wrote:

Go through the series of hints that were posted above.
I've looked at the hints and still don't see it.

We have in our possession 3 Pentagram writings and the lock itself. That's 4 pentagrams. We guessed at the fifth both in letters to use for the message and in numbers to use in the equation. Where is the fifth pentagram?

Is it in a picture of a Key? I think I read something in another thread that it might be there. I have to wait until I get back home to look that over again. If so we completely missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludyee wrote:

We have in our possession 3 Pentagram writings and the lock itself. That's 4 pentagrams. We guessed at the fifth both in letters to use for the message and in numbers to use in the equation. Where is the fifth pentagram?

Is it in a picture of a Key? I think I read something in another thread that it might be there. I have to wait until I get back home to look that over again. If so we completely missed it.

In response to your spoiler question: yes it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ludy
United States
Ijamsville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
ludyee wrote:

In response to your spoiler question: yes it is.
Damn. Well, live and learn. We treated those items as nothing more than their item #. "Do we have 6? 21?" I knew we were overlooking something but I did not hold any of the those items and likely would not have thought to look closer either, maybe. I did scrutinize the letter(s) and Newspaper and all the other obvious visual items but not those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
What I found hilarious is that I played through this once and watched another group play through it once and in both games someone was sitting there saying "Read It Em? That doesn't make any sense, is Em short for something?" Followed eventually by a face palm when they realized it was Item. (And yes, I was the one saying that the first time. )

We did the same thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In german the five pentagrams spell "LE|SE OB|JE|KT" (read object) why it's shorter in english? does the 5th pentagram does not hold letters?

When we first gathered all pentagrams we didn't remembered the order but where able to decode "OB|JE|KT" and one friend looked through all remaining items and said when we add those and subtract that number we get the number of an item which is still available. The the other two of us said we don't accept that since we didn't know then why to add/subtract and had two pentagrams with letters unused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
In german the five pentagrams spell "LE|SE OB|JE|KT" (read object) why it's shorter in english? does the 5th pentagram does not hold letters?
Some of the pentacles have only one letter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Montalvo
Oman
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2+5+7+8-3=19 ninja

Thumb up
 tip