Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
From gallery of thenettavenner

My first project a few years ago was a game table, you can search through my gallery to see those pictures. Now I thought, hey I don't like having free time let me build game shelves to store everything.

So...Let's roll back to March 2015. I had a crazy idea for a summer project that I would build some game shelves to store my growing collection. I didn't like most of the storage options you could buy for one reason or another so it came down to the only option was to build it. I wanted to store everything as compact as I could. I wanted no wasted space so I even measured standard game box sizes and put that into my design. I use a CAD program and a couple of weeks staring at the design before I started to buy materials. At the end of the project there was only one measurement that didn't match the CAD drawing but it was only off by 1/8th of an inch.

One of the things I didn't like about some of the other storage solutions out there, is that they are not deep enough to fully support the game and some of the box over hangs the edge. Given enough time that will damage the game boxes. My shelves are built 20" deep and fully supports every game in my collection. The doors are 12" deep and can fit Ticket to Ride game box sizes. The whole shelf is 4' wide and 10' tall. It is split into 2 parts that can operate independently. Each section is 5' tall. There are pins on top of the bottom section to keep the top one from sliding around. The whole unit is anchored to the ceiling as well so it wont fall over when the doors are loaded and open. The doors have adjustable shelves so I can adapt the shelf to whatever I am storing in it. The main shelves are fixed. Each of the shelves has a adjustable backer board to keep things from falling out the back side and to keep longer and shorter games the same distance from the front.

I have always had a problem with my small card games as they were scattered where ever they could fit on the previous shelves. This meant they were sometimes forgotten about and hardly played. I own games to play them so this was a problem. I built 3 drawers to store all the small games and my gaming components in once place. And of course there has to be lights in everything.

I also wanted lights in the shelves and in order to make sure there was no wasted space all of the electrical needed to be hidden. That means the lights and the wires couldn't be in the shelf space. All the wires are drilled through the shelves and grooves are cut into the back to route the wires. The LED lights are dovetailed into the bottom of each shelf. There are magnetic sensors on the drawers and the doors so when something is opened the lights for that area come on. There were supposed to be ambient lights in the glass panels (the glass is double pane) on the doors but after getting 2 of them done and breaking lots of glass I abandoned the idea. There was lots of soldering involved in that one. So I never hooked up the doors even though 2 of them have lights and worked. I think I spent as much time on the electrical as I did on the rest of the project.

So by now you are asking, how much and how long. All supplies came in to a hair under $1,500. I started buying materials March 31. It took about 7 months to finish but between having a kid and taking a long vacation I figure I spent closer to 4 months on it. It would have taken a bit less time but at the very end of the project as I was mocking up one of the doors I dropped it and broke glass and snapped a some wood. That took an extra 10 hours to fix and rebuild the door. That was about the time I could have used a very big hammer.....This was all in my spare time as I do have a full time job. There were a few times I just had to walk away for the night for reasons of mass frustration. If you have ever done a project like this you will understand the feeling.

One of the best parts about this is that the whole thing is made out of real wood. No MDF or any type of particle board here. So hopefully it will last longer than I should ever care about. Oh yeah and also I built it!!! There is a certain level of satisfaction that comes with it knowing that I made it and if I want to change it or add something it isn't going to fall apart the first time I take a hammer to it.

My game collection is ~325 at the time of writing this. Everything fits very well on the shelves and I figure I have enough space to fit another ~115. So enough room to grow for years to come.....hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like RedMicrobadge: Betrayal at Baldur's Gate fan!Microbadge: Call To Adventure fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower fanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...
That is incredibly well done, I am jealous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Microbadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substance
O U T S T A N D I N G !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play games at workMicrobadge:  Tabby cat lover Microbadge: Fan of Emerald Tavern Games & Cafe, Austin, TX, USAMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I love Austria!
My wife would love it if I built this. Super organized, yet it hides the actual games. Using shelves for standard-size boxes and drawer for smaller games is a neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
msg tools
My experience in (admittedly) cheap DVD cabinets has always resulted in the hinges not being able to handle the loaded weight of the door shelves. How do you deal with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
First the fact of being real wood increases the strength a lot. The sides are where the hinges attach are 1 1/4" thick instead of the 3/4 thick everything else is. Second I used full length piano hinges for the doors. They might sag over time but will never come off. I bet the hinges could hold up the whole shelf loaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I love TexasMicrobadge: 12th Gamer - Bryan/College Station, Texas
Great work!

It was wise to break it into two sections which will help if you ever need to move it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Cubs are gonna Win today!Microbadge: French Bulldog loverMicrobadge: I love SeelandMicrobadge: Proud to be a ;Microbadge: Iowa State University
Wow! Nice work! That last picture deserves a larger size - beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korneel Troch
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: I am a Boss MonsterMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Project: ELITE fanMicrobadge: I'm a TableTop fan
Mother of closets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: West Indies Cricket fan
Looks like you need more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Cubsfan31 wrote:
Wow! Nice work! That last picture deserves a larger size - beautiful!
The full size picture is on here. If you click on the picture and at the top click "original" you can see it much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
pawnpusher wrote:
Great work!

It was wise to break it into two sections which will help if you ever need to move it.
Plus if I ever move into a place without 10' ceilings it won't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
Microbadge:  The few, the proud, the exhausted... BGG.CON Team Geek!Microbadge: BGG.CON attendeeMicrobadge: BGG.SpringMicrobadge: BGG@SEA participantMicrobadge: Dexterity Games fan
d10-6d10-7

Edit: Forgot the card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Game Fondue Reviews fanMicrobadge: 2019 Christmas Card Exchange participantMicrobadge: slickerdrips fanMicrobadge: My Little Pony fan - FluttershyMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
Very well done. Now for one of those library style ladders that roll across the top to get to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
A message from our metal overlords....
Microbadge: Lawful EvilMicrobadge: I play with black!Microbadge: World DominationMicrobadge: LawyerMicrobadge: I have a nemesis
Really fantastic work! I think I speak for us all when I say that I wouldn't mind a copy of those blueprints..."Honey...you have a lot of games...we don't have room..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
girman39 wrote:
Very well done. Now for one of those library style ladders that roll across the top to get to the top. :)

I was thinking about something like that in the inception of this project but figured it wouldn't look good. Maybe if I had a whole game storage room of games.....hmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls