Subject: Dracula trapped by Consecrated Ground rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah Perry
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tonight was our first game, never played any of the other editions so we played the intro game without Dracula's power cards. Dracula was in Klausenburg, having just moved there from Budapest. One hunter played consecrated ground on Bucharest. Two other hunters both played heavenly host cards... one on Belgrade and another one Szeged. That left Dracula with 2 options for movement, both leaving him pinned after 2 turns. Castle Dracula to Galatz or Galatz to Castle Dracula. We could not find any rules for being stuck unless it was Dracula error and we could find no fault in Dracula's movements. Is this just a fluke that occurred because we did not use the power cards? Did we make a mistake somewhere? Please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
This post should be in rules. Under "Dracula Error" it says that if dracula can't make a move he has to take 5 damage and clear all the previous hideouts on the track. This still counts as Dracula's Error, and the same thing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavenly Host markers are no more permanent. Perhaps after a couple of moves Drac could be free to travel via Belgrade or Szeged.

And by the way, do play with Power Cards. They are not so "Advanced" - they are fundamental for the game. Especially Hide one. At least play with Hide.
LTB booklet recommends to omit them for first game only - to get with basic mechanics faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consecrated ground it the only one that is permeant. you have to remove the other ones later. it tells you on the card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
Consecrated ground it the only one that is permeant. you have to remove the other ones later. it tells you on the card
That doesn't matter here, because without his powers Dracula will indeed be trapped in another two turns, as the OP said.

If you look at the map, you'll see this: this turn the only locations available are Galatz or Castle Dracula.

The following turn, even though the Heavenly Hosts are gone, he can only go to the other one of those two locations, because all other adjacent locations are on his trail...

And the next turn (whichever of those two he's in) he has no available locations that are not on his trail.

So yes, this is covered by "Dracula errors" in the Rules Reference, but really the issue is that the "beginner game" leaves out Dracula's power cards, which in my opinion is a bad idea even for beginners, because it limits Dracula too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
dstair2002 wrote:
That doesn't matter here, because without his powers Dracula will indeed be trapped in another two turns, as the OP said.

If you look at the map, you'll see this: this turn the only locations available are Galatz or Castle Dracula.

The following turn, even though the Heavenly Hosts are gone, he can only go to the other one of those two locations, because all other adjacent locations are on his trail...

And the next turn (whichever of those two he's in) he has no available locations that are not on his trail.

So yes, this is covered by "Dracula errors" in the Rules Reference, but really the issue is that the "beginner game" leaves out Dracula's power cards, which in my opinion is a bad idea even for beginners, because it limits Dracula too much.
In this case the problem would be avoided if Powers were in the game, however looking at the board shows that there is a potential issue even with powers.

There are a number of cities (Granada, Manchester, Florence, Berlin, Prague, possibly others) which are not ports and have only 3 adjacent cities. If Consecrated Ground were to be played on one of these cities when Dracula was there, and Hosts played on all the adjacent cities, Dracula would be caught in an unavoidable "error". He would be forced to move, but unable to do so.

I'm not sure how likely this, as it would require all the host cards to be in play as well as consecrated ground and Dracula happening to be in the right (wrong?) location, but it seems like a good play by the hunters if they can engineer it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The power cards are a must for this game. and in playing with them you wouldn't be stuck in this pinned location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, a nice strategy for Dracula providing your group's meta doesn't squish it off the bat or think it's your most likely ploy is to hole up in England, stash a vampire or two, and then wend your way into Germanica or Iberia depending on where the scariest/weakest hunters are milling around. However if a novice player tried to be clever and stay on the island a little longer by using hide-->misdirect they could easily get themselves stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night and had Dracula 'stuck'. Reading the Reference Rules and finding this was categorized as an 'error' on Dracula's part left a really sour taste.

Dracula went: South Atlantic --> Santander --> Bordeaux --> North Atlantic --> Galway

The Hunters were on his trail and put to see in the North Atlantic then used Consecrated Ground on Dublin.

The result being Dracula trapped in Galway until North Atlantic dropped off the Trail. Although the 4 Hunters gathered in Galway and summarily executed him without much fuss.

Would/could this have been rectified by the addition of the Power Cards? I'm unsure, would using Wolf Form to skip Dublin and put into the Irish Sea be a valid move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revenant wrote:
We played our first game last night and had Dracula 'stuck'. Reading the Reference Rules and finding this was categorized as an 'error' on Dracula's part left a really sour taste.

Dracula went: South Atlantic --> Santander --> Bordeaux --> North Atlantic --> Galway

The Hunters were on his trail and put to see in the North Atlantic then used Consecrated Ground on Dublin.

The result being Dracula trapped in Galway until North Atlantic dropped off the Trail. Although the 4 Hunters gathered in Galway and summarily executed him without much fuss.

Would/could this have been rectified by the addition of the Power Cards? I'm unsure, would using Wolf Form to skip Dublin and put into the Irish Sea be a valid move?
Wolf Form wouldn't have been legal but Dracula could have played Misdirect to take North Atlantic back and return there. Assuming there was no Heavenly Host in Galway, he could have played Hide, Dark Call or Feed to remain there, but that would have been a temporary solution as the Consecrated Ground would have remained in Dublin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Revenant wrote:

The result being Dracula trapped in Galway until North Atlantic dropped off the Trail.
Dracula Error means the trail is cleared except for his current location. So he would be able to move again. I'm actually not clear whether or not Dracula Error counts as Dracula taking his turn - but I personally think not. So he would clear the trail, take 5 damage then place a new location card.

I'm not sure that's right but I would let someone play that way. And if the alternative would spoil the game I think my kids would let me play Dracula that way also.

Quote:
He could have played Misdirect as suggested above. Or played Feed, Hide and Dark Call to stall for 3 turns. If he managed to mature a vampire or otherwise clear the trail that might buy enough time to get North Atlantic back, or perhaps find a way to clear Consecrated Ground by event cards (I think that's possible?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls