Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
October was filed with various trips, so tonight was our first chance to continue with the full group. We'd previously won finished 6-1, and tonight we very optimistically declared we'd power through four scenarios to finish up. Actual score, 1W, 1L.

As the title suggests, our Lini player wasn't actually able to make it, so we went forward with five (me as Valeros, Seoni, Seelah, Harsk, and Merisiel).

6-2 wasn't too bad. Seelah had a reflecting shield which helped her deal with a lot of damage. We did see many new cards fall out of our reach, either because we couldn't acquire (like Invocation) or returned to the box when locations were closed (Shock Greatsword, Sihedron Ring, Belt of Physical Might). Seelah took on the dragon, heavily boosted by the party. For the 30 difficulty check, she was rolling 15 dice +16.

Then we attempted Mhar Massiff. Why, oh why did we try this? Harsk had survival, but unaided he'd need to roll a 6 to close a location, and that was just the first location. I think Seelah killed the first spider, and missed her close check by 2. So, when I encountered a spider, it was still a check of 10 to close. Blessings were piled on me, which meant I went from 1d4 to 5d4. Then I rolled 1s or 2s on all but one die, making them all zeros in the Death Zone. We ended up with multiple locations that we would need to empty to close. We did have a lot of blessings remaining, and things started turning in our favor... then Harsk ran into a clay golem and was wounded too badly to continue. We decided to let the deck run out and try again.

Although the scenario kicked our butts, it did help us for the future. Merisiel was able to acquire the shock great sword (after defeating a hand chopper), which she gifted to me. Seoni picked up the mountaineer, which I thought was a good card- reveal to add 2d8 to a survival check, then looked again and realized it is the greatest card ever- the addition can be made to ANYONE'S check. That's the point where we actually started closing locations.

On the downside, a number of elite barriers left the game. My fellow players seem bothered by the Skeleton and Zombie Horde, but at this stage we can easily defeat an 8 or 9 combat check. There's also the cache that gives free items. With some really great items now available, I'd love to get some more draws (I think Merisiel might have gotten something useful from one locked box. I found the Pit of Malfeshnekor, maybe its first appearance, but none of the items were worthwhile). Any of those would be much preferred to stampeding aurochs.

We'll try again sometime in the near future, hopefully joined by Lini again. Worst case, we should be able to clear out locations and let her bop around closing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Lini would make a big difference in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried again last night, with Lini in tow. Closed half the locations, maybe got the 4th? Harsk blew his close check after killing a spider, and his Mountaineer was way down in his deck. So many 1s and 2s rolled on checks.

We took a poll after and decided to move on to the next scenario, not taking the skill feat reward. That had some good gains, though not as many as I hoped- a lot of what we would have liked ended up in locations that got closed, so weren't available to show up as rewards. We did find the other Shock Great Sword, and Seoni found and acquired a belt of physical might for me.

We still have the final scenario to go, but since we're looking at two weeks of downtime, I think I'm going to try to beat it, running groups of 3 characters on my own. Lini, Valeros, and Seelah might be a good set, and Seoni, Harsk, and Merisiel in the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:
We tried again last night, with Lini in tow. Closed half the locations, maybe got the 4th? Harsk blew his close check after killing a spider, and his Mountaineer was way down in his deck. So many 1s and 2s rolled on checks.

We took a poll after and decided to move on to the next scenario, not taking the skill feat reward. That had some good gains, though not as many as I hoped- a lot of what we would have liked ended up in locations that got closed, so weren't available to show up as rewards. We did find the other Shock Great Sword, and Seoni found and acquired a belt of physical might for me.

We still have the final scenario to go, but since we're looking at two weeks of downtime, I think I'm going to try to beat it, running groups of 3 characters on my own. Lini, Valeros, and Seelah might be a good set, and Seoni, Harsk, and Merisiel in the other.
And that is what I did. Harsk, Seoni, and Merisiel mostly waited until Harsk pulled out the mountaineer, then got things closed. Merisiel did manage to open a locked chest and find a ranger's cache, producing some very nice weapons (both returning spears, in fact).

Lini, Valeros, and Seelah went even faster, with each character closing a location. Valeros got the first with his guide, Lini was boosted by a blessing of Gozreh, rolling three 10s plus her animal bonus, and Seelah was able to pull off the 14 to close the last location.

I could feel the difference in not having as many people able to offer blessings, but at least psychologically, it was a lot better closing 3 locations than 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls