Subject: Will I like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Star Trek: The Next Generation fanMicrobadge: Every Game is Better with DwarvesMicrobadge: My obsession with my family interferes with my board gamesMicrobadge: Dudeist
So... I like civilization, but loathe Advanced Civilization. Seems all the tension is gone from the latter, and what is left is an overly long and boring game.

What about this, which way does it lean? Or is it its own beast?

Does it have the euro-like quality of the original Civilization?

Thanks for an insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Circus Maximus fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Batman: Gotham City Chronicles fanMicrobadge: Avalon Hill fan
I haven't played MCiv, but I have played the Civ Project on which MCiv is based.

The Civ Project used ACiv as a base and expanded on that. That means that the Civ Project was much more like ACiv than Civ.

That said I feel like you should give ACiv another chance. ACiv is a much better balanced and streamlined version of Civ. In my view they all have a "euro-like quality", but are much better themed than your average euro.

In the end they are all quite similar and I don't think anyone who liked Civ wouldn't like ACiv, the Civ Project or MCiv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Star Trek: The Next Generation fanMicrobadge: Every Game is Better with DwarvesMicrobadge: My obsession with my family interferes with my board gamesMicrobadge: Dudeist
Mattias wrote:
I haven't played MCiv, but I have played the Civ Project on which MCiv is based.

The Civ Project used ACiv as a base and expanded on that. That means that the Civ Project was much more like ACiv than Civ.

That said I feel like you should give ACiv another chance. ACiv is a much better balanced and streamlined version of Civ. In my view they all have a "euro-like quality", but are much better themed than your average euro.

In the end they are all quite similar and I don't think anyone who liked Civ wouldn't like ACiv, the Civ Project or MCiv.
Well, I do not like adciv, so there you go... : - )

And I am not alone, just for the record. For what it is worth, the group of people who do not like it includes Thomas Lehmann, whose opinion must carry some weight I suppose. You can read his comments in his profile.

Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Chris Farrell's comments on adciv are also interesting: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/cfarrell?comment=1...

While I do not always agree with Chris (far from it), I happen to do this time, and he is always thoughtful.

So the question remains, is MegaCiv leaning towards "Classic" Civilization or Advanced Civilization? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Circus Maximus fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Batman: Gotham City Chronicles fanMicrobadge: Avalon Hill fan
I have also debated this elsewhere

The MCiv rules are available for download.

They are based on ACiv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Mattias wrote:
I have also debated this elsewhere :)

The MCiv rules are available for download.

They are based on ACiv.
Thanks, but I am not experienced enough to tell from the rules and card count. What I am looking for is opinions from people who have played the games, and can tell me about the balance in this game. For example, how scarce are commodities in actual play, etc.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sport Games fanMicrobadge: I keep my ratings currentMicrobadge: BackstabberMicrobadge: I record detailed playsMicrobadge: Your ad here
Sounds like you're talking about the overall feeling of scarcity that you can find in Civ, particularly re: the trade goods, trackable calamities, and advances. If you're looking for the tighter, more closed feeling of original Civ, you're not going to get it from MegaCiv. Though the map is tighter between Civ and MegaCiv, the trade goods and advances are even more open in MegaCiv than they are in Advanced Civ.

I happen to be a fan of Advanced Civ more than the original, so I'm happy that they kept the changes, but it doesn't sound like you're going to feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
Unitoch wrote:
Sounds like you're talking about the overall feeling of scarcity that you can find in Civ, particularly re: the trade goods, trackable calamities, and advanced. If you're looking for the tighter, more closed feeling of original Civ, you're not going to get it from MegaCiv. Though the map is tighter between Civ and MegaCiv, the trade goods and advances are even more open in MegaCiv than they are in Advanced Civ.

I happen to be a fan of Advanced Civ more than the original, so I'm happy that they kept the changes, but it doesn't sound like you're going to feel the same way.
Thanks, this is great info. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls