Hide
14 Posts

Coup» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions for games similar to Coup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kay Cee
msg tools
My family plays board games on Sunday after dinner but right before TWD. Lately, we've been playing and falling back on Coup. All of us really like the mechanics of the game ( the bluffing, deduction, the player elimination and quick turnaround in a round so that Players are not sitting around for long periods of time ). I already purchased "Batman - Love Letters". It's a good 4 Player game, we've played it at times....but we've fallen back on Coup most of the weeks.

We have between 4 to 6 Players ( depending on the week ). Outside of the Coup Expansion set....do any of you have any suggestions for similar Games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade scratches a similar itch and has no player elimination. Also look at Citadels. Bang is fun (the dice version is really good too). One Night Werewolf is a fast and great bluffing/deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perudo

All you need to play is 5 dice per player. It's full of bluffing, brinkmanship, and deduction. Assuming you have enough dice you can play up to ten players and have a good time, maybe more.

It's public domain so there are many variants out there, and it might be kind of tricky figuring out which is best for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee is a fun little game that just recently came out. Your family may or may not like based on the theme, but it's a pretty quick bluffing/bidding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Beets is one that seems quite similar...perhaps more family oriented.

Also, there are two 'expansions' now to coup: Coup: Reformation, which expands to original game and Coup: Rebellion G54 which is a standalone with a heap more roles. Just thought I'd say in case you weren't aware of one.

For 5 or 6 players I also enjoy The Resistance: Avalon.

Perhaps also BANG!, BANG! The Dice Game, Samurai Sword, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, One Night Revolution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Median54 wrote:
Also, there are two 'expansions' now to coup: Coup: Reformation, which expands to original game and Coup: Rebellion G54 which is a standalone with a heap more roles. Just thought I'd say in case you weren't aware of one.
I think it's important to highlight this since you like Coup.

There is an expansion, Reformation, which you noted in the original post.

But there is also Coup: Rebellion G54. This is a separate game. It is basically coup, streamlined in some ways, but with 25 roles. You randomly select 5 roles and play Coup. So you get Coup with more than 5000 different combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Cee
msg tools
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I'm leaning towards Bang( TWD Edition )...for obvious reasons. Which is better? The original Card game or the Dice Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoax will be available soon
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182218/hoax-second-editi...
Here is a comparison (coup vs. hoax):
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/10601774

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cunning Folk gives a similar feel bus plays a little quicker. I prefer Coup, but Cunning Folk is also nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Fleet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Good Cop Bad Cop (base game, expansion not really required).

Plays best with 5+ Players, but it's fairly quick/light and similar to Coup, but more interactive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! The Dice Game: The Walking Dead seems perfect for you! A lot of the fun of the bluffing and deduction of Coup, plus the fun of chucking a bunch of dice, plus The Walking Dead theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riki39561 wrote:
Check out Good Cop Bad Cop (base game, expansion not really required).

Plays best with 5+ Players, but it's fairly quick/light and similar to Coup, but more interactive.
I wouldn't say it's that similar to coup, but I certainly agree that it's a lot of fun and both are hidden role games. I prefer Good Cop Bad Cop to Coup. Though, I think my gaming group has a slight leaning towards Coup. Though, it's close. I don't think any one would be upset if we chose one of the two over the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Manrique
Mexico
Mexico
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try One Night Revolution, it will be a great complement to Coup. Fast play, hidden roles, similar theme.

I really like Bang (dice version), it may take a little bit longer than coup and a little bit more rules, but it's really fun.

I'd suggest you get these 2, as they are not quite expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming House of Borgia perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide