Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question,

I think A is not possible since only a part of Coordinated Attack can be fulfilled, so nothing is.

I think B is correct in the sense that player B is unaffected by the card effect. In other words, I think the obstacle overrides the played card effects. This should be in the rulebook somewhere (if this is the case).

I also think C is possible, that is, to play the damage without fulfilling the card effect.

Edit: the rulebook on page 10 about obstacles says: "When a card (obstacle) ability says you can do something that the general rules says you can't, the card ability wins". It should reasonably also be the other way around for this example.

Edit2: from rulebook page 25 on Coordinated attack: "When a runner is targeted by Coordinated Attack's ability and chooses to play a card, it is as if that runner played the card on their turn". By extension player B would draw a card as if it was player B's turn, and then the obstacle ability kicks in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this as "don't draw a card but do play a card"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vignola
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (c) isn't right. In the Play Cards section of the Full Game Rules (p.13), they say that you resolve abilities when you play the card and later, they add that you are allowed to play cards even if there is no obstacle to use their damage against. To me, that reads like abilities are always played and damage not.

But this particular scenario is tricky. Nice catch.
I wouldn't split the ability. You do it or you can't play this card. Personnally, i would choose (d) Player B draw and play one card. But that's because we have a hard time winning at this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls