Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly there won't be any deals at 2 player, but at higher player counts there is more likelihood that players of similar loyalty will find common cause in promoting their empire's interests, even whilst secretly scheming to undermine each other's influence in it.

Given that, I'm interested to learn where deals are most prevalent.

The one obvious place I saw was with Intel, where a consenting spy in a location can remove the requirement of another player to kill armies first during a campaign.

What other trades are common?

Presumably the question every player asks herself is 'how do I promote my empire, whilst not giving away influence in that empire?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: I support the Terriers!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
In a recent game I had a great move that involved buying a card, playing it and then using one of its (free) actions. But my hand was full, so I made a deal to give a card away to another player who shared my Loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
A few considerations:

1. Deals offer ways for weaker coalition partners to cooperate with folks of a different loyalty. More than once I have offered Intel (campaign action) to other players to aid in military operations that might extend the game a bit. If you get get a couple players working together, it's pretty easy to foil a Topple, assuming the players have somewhat even footing.

2. Some groups I've played with really get into the negotiation aspect of the game. The game is perfectly playable without a word being uttered, but it can be a blast (if a little longer) when deals are cut constantly. The most common deals tend to be card auctions and trades. Rank 3 cards are rare and can command quite a price. The local record is 8 rupees for a rank 3 military card.

3. I'll refrain from too much storytelling and let ya'll get creative. Suffice it to say, I've seen some very underhand and no-good dealings in this game. It's often hard to tell who your friends are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
A few considerations:

1. Deals offer ways for weaker coalition partners to cooperate with folks of a different loyalty. More than once I have offered Intel (campaign action) to other players to aid in military operations that might extend the game a bit. If you get get a couple players working together, it's pretty easy to foil a Topple, assuming the players have somewhat even footing.

2. Some groups I've played with really get into the negotiation aspect of the game. The game is perfectly playable without a word being uttered, but it can be a blast (if a little longer) when deals are cut constantly. The most common deals tend to be card auctions and trades. Rank 3 cards are rare and can command quite a price. The local record is 8 rupees for a rank 3 military card.

3. I'll refrain from too much storytelling and let ya'll get creative. Suffice it to say, I've seen some very underhand and no-good dealings in this game. It's often hard to tell who your friends are.
I like the idea of the deal and negotiations. But under G1 you mention deals in terms of money, cards, and promises. Then under the 3 examples you talk about INTEL and using someone else's spy. Does that mean if me and another player are of the same loyalty but he doesn't say have CAMPAIGN on one of his cards, that I could allow him to use my Campaign action on one of my cards? (I'm just wondering the limitations of deals).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Intel is something of a special case (which is why its featured in the examples). In order to get the benefit of intel during the campaign action, you require only a "consenting spy" which could come from another player.

Deals can involves the transfer of money and Hand Cards and promises to take certain actions. So, while I couldn't directly "rent/control" one of your generals, I could offer you something to use him in a particular way when your turn came around.

(In earlier versions of the game we did allow for the renting of various actions, but things got outta hand pretty quick.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls