Hide
7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skull Eater Settlement Event (SPOILERS.) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trea The Hunter
msg tools
Let me state again, this one's gonna have SPOILERS. S P O I L E R S.

---

Alright, let's get to this.

So! We got the Skull Eater which Randomly chooses a Returning Survivor. That Survivor just loves the crunchy tasty flavor of Skulls. He gains the "Marrow Hunger" impairment: "when Murder or Skull Eater Settlement Events are drawn, this survivor is nominated".

Our Chief, Kal, became the Skull Eater, and his activities went unnoticed. Due to this, the Murder Settlement Event was added to the timeline Next Year. "Oh, joy."

So! A year later, Kal is a crazed and battle-hardened bad a**. He's been on the most hunts and he's the craziest of all the survivors. Jewel and Brie are tied in experience; they're just a hunt behind each. The Murder Event begins!
"The survivor with the highest Hunt XP is the victim. They are dead. The murderer - the survivor with the highest insanity - was caught in the act and awaits punishment."
Well, right off the bat, we can overrule "with the highest insanity" with our Marrow Hungry Chief Kal. He's the murderer, of course! But he's ALSO the most experienced. Here's a dilemma. Does he kill himself?

The events conclude requiring two different characters. We ruled that the Skull Eater murders the most-experienced person aside from himself. Poor Jewel and Brie had a roll-off for random chance and Jewel was slain.

Do you guys agree with that ruling? If not, how would you rule it and why?

P.S.- I think the Rule of Death is probably one of my favorite things.. it's great being able to settle arguments by simply saying "RULE OF DEATH. The worst thing happens." Lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
Neuburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem, because the char with highest hunt XP also had the highest insanity.

But the event need two different survivors.

I ruled it so.
The survivor with the highest Hunt XP is the victim. Dead.
The survivor with the highest Hunt XP is the murderer. Because my char is dead. I nominated the living survivor with most insanity.

I agree in choosing two different characters. But i don´t know, if the marrow hunger impairment says, that your Chief Kal is nominated as murderer or as victim, when a murder event is drawn.
Because the card says "he loves the crunchy taste flavor of skulls", i would assume, that he is the murderer. I would choose the next survivor with most hunt xp as the victim.

If it were to come to that, I would do the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
I would also do the same thing as you did.

I don't think one of my other survivors is going to murder him just because he crunches on peoples skulls sometimes, that's normal for a calcium deprived people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's how we played that interaction.

One time, we had the murderer as the highest insanity, highest experience, and skull eater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cainosnam wrote:
I had the same problem, because the char with highest hunt XP also had the highest insanity.

But the event need two different survivors.

I ruled it so.
The survivor with the highest Hunt XP is the victim. Dead.
The survivor with the highest Hunt XP is the murderer. Because my char is dead. I nominated the living survivor with most insanity.

I agree in choosing two different characters. But i don´t know, if the marrow hunger impairment says, that your Chief Kal is nominated as murderer or as victim, when a murder event is drawn.
Because the card says "he loves the crunchy taste flavor of skulls", i would assume, that he is the murderer. I would choose the next survivor with most hunt xp as the victim.

If it were to come to that, I would do the same thing.
I believe we've applied this differently from other folks with the death occurring first and immediately. If this killed the Skull Eater, then the we fell back on the highest insanity survivor to suffer the consequences (or benefits or lack thereof).

However, as many folks have pointed out the "nominated for murder/skull eater" is a bit ambiguous. We've assumed, for better or for worse, that the intent was that the Skull Eater should be the cause of murders rather than the victim (with the exception of when they are the highest hunt xp; again we follow that first line or two of Murder first and get the death out of the way immediately before identifying the killer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's clear that the skull eater must be one of the two and the skull eater event is ambiguous as to which, but while it's more likely that he's the murderer, I think there's enough thematic reason for the skull eater to also be the victim. Someone in the settlement could have discovered the skull eater's dark secret and decided to handle it himself/herself.

I think in this case (in absence of an official ruling), I would probably roll a die to decide whether the skull eater was the victim or the killer, then use the murder event rule to determine the other (highest hunt xp other than the skull eater for victim, or highest insanity other than the skull eater for the killer).

Another option I'd be okay with is applying the first rule (i.e. deciding the victim) and if the skull eater isn't already involved he is nominated because he must take part, making him the killer if doesn't have the highest hunt xp, regardless if he has the most insanity or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trea The Hunter
msg tools
fastlane wrote:
I think it's clear that the skull eater must be one of the two and the skull eater event is ambiguous as to which, but while it's more likely that he's the murderer, I think there's enough thematic reason for the skull eater to also be the victim. Someone in the settlement could have discovered the skull eater's dark secret and decided to handle it himself/herself.

I think in this case (in absence of an official ruling), I would probably roll a die to decide whether the skull eater was the victim or the killer, then use the murder event rule to determine the other (highest hunt xp other than the skull eater for victim, or highest insanity other than the skull eater for the killer).

Another option I'd be okay with is applying the first rule (i.e. deciding the victim) and if the skull eater isn't already involved he is nominated because he must take part, making him the killer if doesn't have the highest hunt xp, regardless if he has the most insanity or not.
The big implication I get from Skull Eater is that the guy with Marrow Hunger is continually getting crazier and crazier over time. He instantly gets 1d5 insanity, is it? (I don't have the book with me at the moment) The implication is that he's found out when he murders someone for their marrow. But it's super up to interpretation, obviously.

Good stuff, all around. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls