Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tactic cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wido Grimm
Netherlands
flag msg tools
From the rulebook P9
Outdated armies: Age II and III tactics also depict a lesser tactical strenght value. If any unit in the army is two or more levels lower than the level of the tactics card, the army is considered outdated and has the lesser tactical strenght.

All Age II tactical cards depict a lesser strenght value, according to the rules if you had a age II tactic with a warrior from age A it would be outdated (lesser strenght value)
Mobily artillery (1 horse and 1 cannon) and Fortifications (2 cannons) have also the lesser strenght, but the first cannons are in the age two deck.
Mobile Artillery could be outdated with the Genghis khan and age A warrior (one or more of your units can instead be considered cavalry for purpose of tactics).
But fortifications (5/3) can not be outdated so why the lesser strenght value ?

If i had the Fighting Band tactic in play with my banner (2 infantry = 1 strenght) and 4 cubes on my warrior would it give me 2 strenght (2 armies formed) or only 1 strenght ?

Thanks for helping me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about Fortifications, might be future-proofing for expansions.

Yes, you get your tactic bonus for every full army you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wido wrote:
Mobile Artillery could be outdated with the Genghis khan and age A warrior (one or more of your units can instead be considered cavalry for purpose of tactics).
But fortifications (5/3) can not be outdated so why the lesser strenght value ?
Good spot. I hadn't noticed that. In TtA version I, both of those cards had no lower value. As you say, in new TtA, Genghis could enable Mob Arty to be used with an obsolete unit, so it looks as though they simply gave Fortifications an obsolete value to make all Age II Tactics the same and to cope with any Genghis-type leader who might emerge in future who does the same job for Artillery as Genghis does for Cavalry. But at present the obsolete value of Fortifications is redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously discussed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Previously discussed here.
Not as far as I can see - that was all about Mobile artillery, which is explained by Genghis Khan, and not about Fortifications, which has no known way of becoming obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest explanation is usually true.

They probably had a card template and it's easier to populate an obsolete value that can't happen than to change the format.

Also futureproofing and consistency. No downside really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls