Hide
4 Posts

Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nerè Slugs - how useful in Downwood Tales?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ciccio Pasticcio
msg tools
Hi, the slugs now cost 2 Cheese each but they go away when exploring new tiles. How useful are they now? Did someone share my concern about this? I've played 5 Chapters and I never felt that summoning slugs was worth enough spending 2 cheese.
I have the impression that, since Heart of Glorm is not required to play DT, the new rules about "summoned animal friends" (sorry: I have the Italian version and I don't know the original name for the "pets") DT took little consideration about Nerè's Slugs effectiveness under the new rule.

Is there an errata? Did someone house-ruled this? I think about: getting the cost drop to 1 after the first slug, if the 1st slug shares the same square as Nerè she can choose to keep it in the new tiles. The other slugs go away when exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this the same as many other abilities and cards, some just become better and some less good in DT. Not really a concern IMHO, it's just the difference in play style between the castle and the forest.

For instance, Filch was king in S&R and HoG because there were always rats. He would make sure the cheese wheel was hardly ever a problem. That's way less the case now.
Lily/archery became a bit better, because there are more often gaps and levels in the terrain (treetop, chasms etc). More opportunities to shoot enemies that you couldn't reach otherwise.

That all said, if you really want to houserule the slugs, I think reducing the cost is the best idea. That's easier to remember than editing certain rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GRAAK wrote:
Hi, the slugs now cost 2 Cheese each but they go away when exploring new tiles. How useful are they now? Did someone share my concern about this? I've played 5 Chapters and I never felt that summoning slugs was worth enough spending 2 cheese.
I have the impression that, since Heart of Glorm is not required to play DT, the new rules about "summoned animal friends" (sorry: I have the Italian version and I don't know the original name for the "pets") DT took little consideration about Nerè's Slugs effectiveness under the new rule.

Is there an errata? Did someone house-ruled this? I think about: getting the cost drop to 1 after the first slug, if the 1st slug shares the same square as Nerè she can choose to keep it in the new tiles. The other slugs go away when exploring.
It was my understanding that certain pets (both slugs and meeps) were part of the story, and specific chapters had special rules for them in Heart of Glorm... however, the ability: Summon pet Slug, was not a part of those special chapter rules... so Summon pet Slug is no different now than it was then... it's just that now, you don't have special chapter setups that include pets that continue on when you explore to a new tile.

Or perhaps an easier way to say it is: I think the difference is that in HoG, the slugs that continued on with you to a new tile, were a special mechanic of the Heart of Glorm story... used to facilitate that story.

Some good things to remember about pets...
Minions don't target them unless after moving toward a mouse, the minion is not within reach of a mouse, but is near the pet.
Minions don't stop when entering a space with a pet.
Pets give you another (albeit only one die) attack turn. (a whole new card on the initiative track)
And if you perform a search while a pet is in your same space, you get to roll 2 dice for that search.

So, personally... I don't think 2 cheese to summon a pet slug is overpriced. Even for just one tile, they can be very useful.

And... if you manage to find the Summoning Rune item, you can pay 1 less cheese to use a summoning ability card (requires 2 Lore to use that rune)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campistron Jean-Galbert
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Summoning Rune item to call multiple slugs, then use the "call of the wild" hability to make multiple attack with them ! When things turn bad and Néré is isolated, slugs can be very helpfull !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls