Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Harvey
United States
Sumner
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hey folks,

Played the game tonight w/some friends, 3 of which had never played.

One comes out right off the bat and claims straight flush.

Where I am confused is: there's still 2 rounds of adding community cards. And it's my understanding you must increase your hand claim or fold.

What could be done to resolve this particular situation aside of the "Dude you've got cojones" comment?

We, to keep things flowing, house ruled it that he could keep chucking two bucks onto it each bet round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is that you simply cannot claim a lower hand each betting round. So it's perfectly legal for him to claim Straight Flush right out of the gate, and continue betting on that (whilest getting free snacks). Of course, he'll most likely have to either fold eventually or be challenged by the end of the gambit.

By the same token, you can claim a Pair at the start, and continue placing bets on that if you wish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yeah you must bet on the same hand or higher as the gambit goes on (or fold). So he's boxed into betting twice more on straight flush unless he folds. Everyone else's snacks are more expensive, but that just means other players should play more conservatively. If the straight flush player doesn't fold, they will be challenged, pay 5 gold for lying, and then be forced to fold. So overall, this maneuver cost at least 3 ante + 2 bet + 2 bet + 2 bet + 5 challenge money = 14 gold (plus more if there was a raise). For 14 gold, they have no real chance of winning, so it's a very weak play. Other players should be excited at getting free gold from this person, lol.

They'd do a lot better to lie about having a plausible hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harvey
United States
Sumner
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Fair enough and thank you for the responses. This is indeed a game changer; we have historically played as you must increase your claim or fold.

For clarity's sake, in case I need to reference rules/clarifications could you please point out the section of the rulebook that states you can continue at your current claim during a bet portion? I'm trying to find it myself and it's either too early in the morning or it is implied within another wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
It doesn't explicitly say you can make the same bet. It does explicitly say you can't lower it, and that you can raise it, and that you can fold, and doesn't give an example, so yeah, it's confusing in the rules seciton

Quote:
Why not claim the highest possible hand? Because you can’t lower your
claim later on in a gambit (you can raise it later on though). If you claim 5 of a
kind, you are promising to have at least that in the end, so you better make
everyone believe it. That said, you might claim a higher hand than you really
have because it will make your snack cheaper or free (see below).
You can also fold instead of betting. If you fold, move your betting chips off
the board into the pot. You are out of this gambit except you can still
challenge other players’ lies during the Showdown; you cannot win the pot.
You don’t need to fold nearly as often in Pandánte as in Human Poker.
However, in the FAQ section, it is stated:

Quote:
In a betting round, after I claim to have a certain hand, can I change my
claim later in that same betting round?
No. You get only one chance to claim a hand per betting round. After
everyone makes their claim or folds, move on. In the next betting round that
gambit, you can claim a higher or same hand, but you can’t lower your claim.
(emphasis added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls