Subject: The Lost Cloth - New monster WIP - Planning Phase! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: DivorcedMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: WABA SupporterMicrobadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Ending my day with solo play
So I have been having this one come up in my mind lately. So I decided to get it down on paper, get some input from the community and get this beast onto everyone's tables!

As you can see from the thread title, this is the initial planning phase. I will be listing down the initial thoughts for the monster. Think of it as mind mapping or building the foundations for the design. As we move into design phase, prototypes, play testing and then community release, the thread title will be updated.

THE PLAN
Design a monster based upon a loose piece of Loom cloth. With the latest update on the Flower Witch disciples we have seen that the cloth constantly drains the wearer of its blood and it return can be used for tasks such as anchoring to the ground.

So what would happen if the cloth consumed one of the Disciples? Or what if a piece was impacted during its weaving on the Loom?

The Fluff
The Lost Cloth
The Loom sits in the Entity's domain, constantly turning and producing the bloodthirsty cloth for the Goblin and the Witches Disciples.

It is said that one particular Storm Knight sort entry into the domain of the Entity so it could access the source of the lightning and water that gave it it's powers. As punishment for this uprising, the Entity pulled a large piece of cloth from the Loom and set it on the Knight. While the Knight was locked inside it's armour and could not be drained, the Entity gave the Cloth the power to drain the very energy which kept the armour animated.

While the Cloth was imbued with the power of lightning, it still thirsted for the blood that drove it's very existence. Finding the Entity's domain lacking, the Cloth floated down to the world below and started its' hunt for prey

TLDR: A piece of Cloth has absorbed the powers the the Storm Knight. it now hunts for blood to keep itself sustained.

What does it look like?
Think of a billowing sheet. From beneath the sheet, two muscular arms (made from cloth) stretch down and drag the hands along the ground. The hands end in long sharp claws.
Under the sheet, we can dimly see a ribcage in the chest region.
Throughout the cloth interior there a tiny mouths. may be open or have vampire fangs.
At the top of the monster, the cloth billows forward, creating a flat head. In the middle is a a large female organ...

Initial Design ideas
The plan was to have the Cloth act as a glass hammer. In other words, something that struck hard and fast, but had no substance; so it shatters when hit.

Move: 10 / 12 / 15
Toughness: 4 / 5 / 6
Luck: 2 / 3 / 4
Speed: - / 2 / 4

Traits (currently unsure which applies to which level):
Blood Lust) Bleeding Survivors are priority targets. No exceptions.
Goblin Cloth) The Lost Cloth heals 1 (return a AI card to the AI deck) for each bleeding token absorbed
Wraith) Survivor evasion is ignored by the Lost Cloth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: DivorcedMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: WABA SupporterMicrobadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Ending my day with solo play
6 / 8 / 10 health

AI
1.Lightning Lord - A zone of death of 3x3 is created around the monster. Any survivor in the ZoD receives a Damage 3 hit and suffers Knockback 5 and Knockdown
2.Lightning Blitz - the monster follows a lightning shape movement. Any survivor that is moved through suffers a Damage 5 hit and suffers Knockdown
3.Blood seeker Target non-bleeding survivor. Speed 3. After damage, Bleeding 1
4.Engulf - target bleeding survivor. Automatic hit for each bleeding token. For each hit, remove a bleeding token and deal 5 damage to the survivor.
5.Slash - After damage, bleeding 2
6.Crush - Head hunter
7.whirlwind of death - Cause bleeding 1 to all adjacent survivors
8. Swipe
9. Absorb - target bleeding survivor. For each hit, remove a bleeding token and deal 2 damage to survivor
10. Hatred - Target survivor that last wounded monster. Speed 1 lightning bolt that does 4 damage
11. Fade Away - Move monster to a random grid space. every survivor in line with the movement is hit by a speed 4, damage 1 attack

INSTINCT - Thunder call - 4 random grid squares are hit by lightning bolts
BASIC ACTION - Pierce - Target non-bleeding survivor. No damage. After hit, bleeding 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
Hit Deck

Cloth Right Claw - A super sharp claw made from cloth. IMPERVIOUS
Cloth Left Claw - A super sharp claw made from cloth. IMPERVIOUS
Cloth Rib cage - SUPER DENSE. Critical = -1 movement
Cloth limb - Right arm. Critical = -1 speed
Cloth limb - Left arm Critical = -1 speed
Black shroud - Reaction
Tiny Vampire mouth - Reaction. Critical = -1 damage
Huge sucker - Critical = Cannot heal
TRAP!
Cloth limb - Right hand. Reaction
Cloth limb - Left hand. Reaction
Cloth limb - Head. Critical = -1 accuracy
Cloth Spine - SUPER DENSE. Critical = Lantern 10 to kill next turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Watcher CrestMicrobadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
glass cannon monsters are gonna' be very hard to balance, since an ambush and/or good surge turn can already do a ton: I've had a couple nemeses and some bigger quarries lose 10 health either before they're able to act or after making a single swing.

Interesting concept, but you're missing some the game context- what level are you fighting it at? When/how will it appear? Since I think that changes the feeling a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
glass cannon monsters are gonna' be very hard to balance, since an ambush and/or good surge turn can already do a ton: I've had a couple nemeses and some bigger quarries lose 10 health either before they're able to act or after making a single swing.
That is a good point. I haven't actually invented surge yet, so didn't think of that. Something to keep in mind

spiralingcadaver wrote:

Interesting concept, but you're missing some the game context- what level are you fighting it at? When/how will it appear? Since I think that changes the feeling a lot.
As mentioned above, we are at the real starting stages here. Just general ideas. Really appreciate the feedback because now I know what to consider as I go along.
I have thought of levels, you can see the different stats above and the traits it can get.

You are right though, the point at which you fight it is integral to the design. Since this is a variant, I do need to come up with a guideline for people to introduce it to their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
Update to AI and HL decks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Thunderstone fanMicrobadge: Adam Poots Games "Kingdom Death: Monster" Contest participantMicrobadge: I won this werewolf in a top hat microbadge from Level 99 Games!Microbadge: Supporter of Board Games: Now Blind Accessible KSMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on Kickstarter
I like the concept. I've come up with some custom monsters, but haven't tried my hand at making custom cards for custom monsters. Do you have any plans for implementing blank cards or stand-in cards? Might be worth mentioning how folks can put the monster into play.

Are you thinking about gear that could be crafted/gained from the monster? A damage reducing cloak like the lion hide cloak, but with a special ability centered around lightning (or maybe drinking blood tokens) could be cool. Is this monster going to be a hunt monster or a nemesis monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
Zamnath wrote:
I like the concept. I've come up with some custom monsters, but haven't tried my hand at making custom cards for custom monsters. Do you have any plans for implementing blank cards or stand-in cards? Might be worth mentioning how folks can put the monster into play.
That's the plan. Printable cards will be designed during the design and playtest phases. When we are finaihed, a complete file will be uploaded .

Zamnath wrote:
Are you thinking about gear that could be crafted/gained from the monster? A damage reducing cloak like the lion hide cloak, but with a special ability centered around lightning (or maybe drinking blood tokens) could be cool. Is this monster going to be a hunt monster or a nemesis monster?
I do have ideas about gear ready to go. Hopefully the next post will cover initial ideas.

Yea, you are the second person to ask. I did just have a brain wave on this. I will design it to be a nemesis monster that is tied to the death count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls