Tom Beach
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Norwich City Football Club fanMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: Cricket fan
Just wondering whether it's the same ruling on the penn maps as in previous ones, that you don't use the second of a double line when playing with 2 or 3 players. I only ask as it explicitly mentions it in the UK rule book but not in the Pennsylvania one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
Microbadge: 2019 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: ChristmasMicrobadge: I love Christmas!Microbadge: Merry Christmas BGG!Microbadge: 2019 RPG Geek Secret Santa Participant
If nothing is specifically mentioned as changed, then you play by the standard T2R rules, which mean only one of the double tracks in a 2-3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
As soon as we got a good look at the map for the first time, I made a comment that having to go around because one of us blocked Altoona-Johnstown was gonna SUCK. That of course became my wife's first move in 2 of the 3 games we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
Sometimes, we integrate stations on the Pennsylvania Map... One station for two or three players and two stations for three or four players... Our family loves to play and we try not to be cut-throat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
l-hansen wrote:
If nothing is specifically mentioned as changed, then you play by the standard T2R rules, which mean only one of the double tracks in a 2-3 player game.
I don't disagree, but it is unfortunate that the rules don't mention it.

The rules of the other games and map packs generally call this out specifically.

In general, the boards that go up to 5 players allow use of double routes only with 4-5 players.

The boards for up to 3 players allow use of double routes with 3 players (of course).

The UK and India games are for 2-4 players, and they are not consistent: UK allows use of double routes in 3-player games, but India does not.

Marklin also has triple routes that go by the double-route rule: with 2-3 players, only one of the triple routes can be used.

Team Asia also has triple routes. Its rules are a little unusual because it is a game for 4 or 6 players on 2 or 3 teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
I got into the habit of allowing 3 players to use the double routes on the original US and Europe maps early on, even though I knew the rules said otherwise - to me, it made the game more fun to open it up and let us all complete more tickets and not really know who was winning until the end, instead of being cutthroat and having a player know for sure they were screwed over. The maps I've designed have always allowed double routes to be used in a 3-player game simply because we liked that rule and I wouldn't have to cram as many separate routes into the maps that way.

Because of that, I actually didn't realize that the UK map allowed double routes to be used in a 3-player game until my the map was added to the iPhone app just last week. In my first 3-player game, I kept trying to go around double routes I thought were blocked, only to find the AI doubling up on those routes and thinking it was "cheating". There's such a dense cluster of 1-train double routes that can get quickly snatched up early in the game, that I'd imagine it would be a total nightmare to play this one by normal 3-player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls