7 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] RAID (Tactical Action Strategy Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Walker
msg tools

Greetings folks!

I am new to boardgamegeek.com and would like to share with you a project I am working on. I won't go into much detail in this post, but please check the .PDF linked below.

At this moment in time, I do not have any artwork to share with you folks (sorry!). Artwork for this project will be completed soon and will be ready for blind play testing.

RAID is a tactical action strategy game set in the modern era.
Players are pitted against each other in realistic SWAT vs Terrorist scenarios.
The objective of the game is to outplay your opponent and complete a set objective or eliminate the enemy team.

Complete game overview
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3gk6b4kexs3asr/RAID.pdf?dl=0

Please feel free to share your honest opinions on RAID. What is good? What is bad?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Walker
msg tools
Reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonnywah wrote:
It's not coming up... how big is the PDF? Dropbox seems to take quite a while to load the file, but nothing actually shows up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There already is a game named Raid! in the database, a 1977 SPI release on special ops.

Instead of a frigate, maybe a cruise ship, or cargo ship?

I would also add airliner as a location.

I think tear gas is used by SWAT teams far more than combat knives, but it's your game, your call.

How far can you throw a grenade? I didn't see anything on a quick peek at the rules. For that matter, what is the range of guns? Do you want to go the route of pistol, shotgun, rifle, sniper rifle?

You need to change the scenario name to Defuse the Bomb, diffuse is a different word completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Walker
msg tools
Eric - Try re-opening the link. The pdf is not that big.

Ron - I apologise for the typing error. It is indeed meant to be defuse.
Let me explain the combat system.
As stated in the PDF, combat ensues when two units are facing each other (in a straight line). There is no range limitations to combat (yet) except for the combat knife.
The reason behind using the card game WAR as a foundation for the combat is that i want it to feel quick and intense. This is to prevent over-analysing and slow gameplay.

As this Ofcourse is a wip, there will be many changes to come. But as it stands, I feel the combat system which incorporates fast action and deck building contrasts well with the slower, more methodical movement phase of the game.

More equipment cards will be added to bulk out the deck building aspect of the game. Perhaps at some stage the amount of equipment cards per player will be increased, to give more diversity to combat.

I shall post the rules in this thread later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it now- I clicked on the quoted link. I don't think that made a difference, but it worked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Walker
msg tools
govmiller wrote:
Got it now- I clicked on the quoted link. I don't think that made a difference, but it worked...
Great! I look forward to your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls