Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realm Tiles
If a Realm Tile is placed that would completely cut off a Region, it
is returned to the bottom of the Albion Stack ...

Does this mean that it won't leave an open path to explore ?

Round Overview

Then, the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes 1 additional turn before the Key-Turn begins.

Shouldn't this be before the Round ends and not the key-turn begins?
As from the rules this extra turn is the key-turn.

I think this means

Then the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes 1 additional turn , called the key-turn , followed by the key-turn events and then the round ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Missy F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
about the realm tile, you are correct. if you can no longer explore the region by pulling a dead end tile when you are exploring for example the docks, you would skip that tile and draw another one. placing the dead end tile on the bottom of the stack.

the round sequence:
player 1, player 2, player 3, player 4, player 1
then the key-turn happens. the key-turn is the phase where the game fights back i.e. the monsters move and flames go out etc.
then a new round starts with the next player.

if you haven't looked at the 2nd edition rulebook, you should download it. it answers a lot of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Missy's recommendation to checkout the new 2nd edition rules as this does help to clear up a lot of questions.

Just going on from her answer about tile placement. If placing a tile so as to spawn a Named Threat(i.e. a Relam Tile with a Mace symbol on it) and this would cause a region to have no open paths, then remember to search for and place a Road tile first then the Named Threat tile as this should leave some extra paths open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystek wrote:
about the realm tile, you are correct. if you can no longer explore the region by pulling a dead end tile when you are exploring for example the docks, you would skip that tile and draw another one. placing the dead end tile on the bottom of the stack.

the round sequence:
player 1, player 2, player 3, player 4, player 1
then the key-turn happens. the key-turn is the phase where the game fights back i.e. the monsters move and flames go out etc.
then a new round starts with the next player.

if you haven't looked at the 2nd edition rulebook, you should download it. it answers a lot of questions.
My quotes were from the second edition and as you can see it still needs Some work.

"If a Realm Tile is placed that would completely cut off a Region, it
is returned to the bottom of the Albion Stack ..."
and
"Then, the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes 1 additional turn before the Key-Turn begins"

I worked it out correctly from what you are saying but the wording is misleading e.g no definitiokn of cut off and the additional turn ius the key-turn and is followed by the key turn events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are referring to the brief description of tile placement from page 7 and the Quick reference on the back cover, but if you look at the full rules for scouting (Page 14) it does confirm this by saying

"If this would create a dead-end and make it impossible to continue exploring a Region, return the tile to the bottom
of the stack and draw a new tile. "

The Key Turn is the last phase of the round and occurs after all the players have taken their turns including the additional turn of the 1st player for that Round who is the holder of the Key Turn Token. As described on page 13 in the Round Overview:

"Each round, the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes the first turn, and all other players take turns in a clockwise order. Then, the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes 1 additional turn before the Key-Turn begins."

Again in the Key Turn Overview it confirms the Key Turn phase only starts after the holder of the key turn token has taken their second turn that round (bottom of page 13)

"The Key-Turn, is the phase of gameplay in which the game fights
back. Each round, after the player with the Key-Turn Token takes their
second turn,..."

The round itself ends after the actions in the Key Turn phase have been completed (or immediately if a game end is triggered, such as by the last Flame of Hope being extinguished or the last Virtue Plaque discarded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belborough wrote:
I think you are referring to the brief description of tile placement from page 7 and the Quick reference on the back cover, but if you look at the full rules for scouting (Page 14) it does confirm this by saying

"If this would create a dead-end and make it impossible to continue exploring a Region, return the tile to the bottom
of the stack and draw a new tile. "

The Key Turn is the last phase of the round and occurs after all the players have taken their turns including the additional turn of the 1st player for that Round who is the holder of the Key Turn Token. As described on page 13 in the Round Overview:

"Each round, the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes the first turn, and all other players take turns in a clockwise order. Then, the player who holds the Key-Turn Token takes 1 additional turn before the Key-Turn begins."

Again in the Key Turn Overview it confirms the Key Turn phase only starts after the holder of the key turn token has taken their second turn that round (bottom of page 13)

"The Key-Turn, is the phase of gameplay in which the game fights
back. Each round, after the player with the Key-Turn Token takes their
second turn,..."

The round itself ends after the actions in the Key Turn phase have been completed (or immediately if a game end is triggered, such as by the last Flame of Hope being extinguished or the last Virtue Plaque discarded).

Perhaps more consistent language , dead end, cut off etc. just one term is enough, I wondered if cut off meant something else.

OK got it then those references on cards for effects during the key-turn only apply to the key turn events and do not happen during the token holders additional turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OK got it then those references on cards for effects during the key-turn only apply to the key turn events and do not happen during the token holders additional turn.
Yes and no unfortunately! There are going to be some wording changes on some of the v2 cards to clarify a couple of bits but Aron confirmed in a different forum reply thread that;-

Quote:

"Once per Key-Turn", basically means once per round. V2 of the game will likely just say "once per round" on the cards. "During your turn" specifically means your character's turn.
The definition of a Round has been tightened up in the new rules and these cards were meant to be usable at anytime during the full round but the "Round" was misnamed the Key Turn so you actually ended up with a Key Turn (full round) which finished with a Key Turn (phase), hence the confusion and why the wording has changed for these.

FYI I had included reference to this in my FAQ a while back for the v1 rules but not in the Card Specific file aimed at the v2 rulebook. I will add this back in to this file as it would help people with v1 cards using the v2 rules. So, when it uploads, it will now say

"Key Turn abilities of Roaming Threats trigger during the Key Turn "phase" at the end of the round, whilst the Character and Inventory card Key Turn references relate to anytime during the whole Round and may be used at any time during that Round and not just during a player's turn unless specified on the card (such as for Ragnelle and Dagonet)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belborough wrote:
Quote:
Yes and no unfortunately! There are going to be some wording changes on some of the v2 cards to clarify a couple of bits but Aron confirmed in a different forum reply thread that;-

Quote:

"Once per Key-Turn", basically means once per round. V2 of the game will likely just say "once per round" on the cards. "During your turn" specifically means your character's turn.
The definition of a Round has been tightened up in the new rules and these cards were meant to be usable at anytime during the full round but the "Round" was misnamed the Key Turn so you actually ended up with a Key Turn (full round) which finished with a Key Turn (phase), hence the confusion and why the wording has changed for these.

FYI I had included reference to this in my FAQ a while back for the v1 rules but not in the Card Specific file aimed at the v2 rulebook. I will add this back in to this file as it would help people with v1 cards using the v2 rules. So, when it uploads, it will now say

"Key Turn abilities of Roaming Threats trigger during the Key Turn "phase" at the end of the round, whilst the Character and Inventory card Key Turn references relate to anytime during the whole Round and may be used at any time during that Round and not just during a player's turn unless specified on the card (such as for Ragnelle and Dagonet)"

Thanks Peter that clears all the confusion up , seeing Key turn on hero and "threats/encounter cards" seemed to apply it happened on that extra 1st player turn only.

It could probably be a tad clearer in 2nd Ed rulebook - a section on changes over 1st edition including the issues you mentioned above would really help those players who see Session and Video reports from the 1st Edition.

If they have not gone to the printers it may not be too late. In any case their latest FAQ / Errata should include errata 1st edition,FAQ 1st/2nd Edition and 2nd Edition changes over 1st Edition and hopefully it wont need any 2nd edition Errata.

do they watch these threads on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the v2 rulebook is in the process of being printed already.

I have asked Aron if he has a master list of the cards with changed wordings etc. but if this isn't available I may compile put one together if I have time. It all depends when my 2nd edition set arrives, the release date is forecast for December but that maybe for the other side of the "pond" as it were.

Yes they do periodically check in and respond to the threads although I know they have a load of stuff going on at the moment.

(just seen your posts on the KS page!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belborough wrote:
I believe the v2 rulebook is in the process of being printed already.

I have asked Aron if he has a master list of the cards with changed wordings etc. but if this isn't available I may compile put one together if I have time. It all depends when my 2nd edition set arrives, the release date is forecast for December but that maybe for the other side of the "pond" as it were.

Yes they do periodically check in and respond to the threads although I know they have a load of stuff going on at the moment.

(just seen your posts on the KS page!)
Hope you didn't object to reposting only I thought it would help others not all KS are on BGG.

I do hope it arrives hera before xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Murch
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hey all,

Good conversation! It's good to see questions getting answered!

I'd love to include an errata and change-log in the 2nd edition rules but unfortunately, there's no space for it since I'm restricted to the original page count.

Thankfully for all of our KS backers, since they're getting a 2nd Edition copy of the game, they should be a lot less confused when trying to use the 2nd Edition rules since the card changes will be consistent with the rules changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls