Subject: Support rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Support rules for the IO are very vague. They list a lot of things models could do, but not what to do, Eg. A model could move towards a hero, or the IO could raise dead, but not saying raise dead where and what to raise.

Any chance of some clarification on the Support rules?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krasny wrote:
The Support rules for the IO are very vague. They list a lot of things models could do, but not what to do, Eg. A model could move towards a hero, or the IO could raise dead, but not saying raise dead where and what to raise.

Any chance of some clarification on the Support rules?

Thanks.
That one is pretty clear. Try to get more models by the heroes but not touching them. Do not focus on attacking.

But honestly the whole system just at a level to say they "did it" without it being likely to consistantly give a satisfy experience without you essentially running the monsters as if you were really the overlord who used the AI deck to tell him when to use interrupts or play extra command cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I don't have the game yet, but looking over the PDF rules I too had a similar question. If a model can both raise dead and move do they do both? If they can do only one or the other what is the priority? The intent of the support order seems to be to be to bring enemies closer into the action and/or spawn more by raising bone piles. Given that the A.I. system is inherently less intelligent (hopefully! LOL) than a human player and my personal preference would be to play a more combat orientated game than a race against a timer I plan (unless mantic gives good clarification to the contrary) allow the enemy model to BOTH move and raise dead whenever there is a choice between doing both.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm about to write revised IO rules, and will post them in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krasny wrote:
I'm about to write revised IO rules, and will post them in the files section.

I look forward to them! Do you intend to also cover how the I.O. rules integrate with the uncharted dungeons? That seems left out in the PDF as far as I could see--only that you could "Try it" but no specifics on how to make it work.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My initial draft covers scenarios only. Basically they make the AI attack more and defend the scenario objective. I will post them here after a couple of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krasny wrote:
My initial draft covers scenarios only. Basically they make the AI attack more and defend the scenario objective. I will post them here after a couple of plays.
As people note, the monsters should still attack during pin and gang up tactics already. Just they try to make contact as oppose Attack where they proirtizing spells, then ranged, the already in contact, and then move into contact. I think this prioritization should be done by dice number as the primary indicator then spell, ranged, and such in loops. It does not make much sense to ignore some one with a 4 combat dice attack to use a 2 attack die spell.

I also think that the threat should be calculated by using the character of the monsters which dominate a regions threat total to make it uniform and that the tactic should not change on every card but maybe everytime a door is opened or something similar. I think you want to have some variation in the tactics in the scenario or when you replay the scenario so it is not like you are playing scripted monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
Krasny wrote:
As people note, the monsters should still attack during pin and gang up tactics already. Just they try to make contact as oppose Attack where they proirtizing spells, then ranged, the already in contact, and then move into contact. I think this prioritization should be done by dice number as the primary indicator then spell, ranged, and such in loops. It does not make much sense to ignore some one with a 4 combat dice attack to use a 2 attack die spell.
Good points! It makes sense that gang up and pin would have an attack component to them as well. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So only support and surround do not have an attack to them??

I also thought it was odd to prioritize spell attacks over close combat or shooting if it has less attack dice. On the one hand it says to do exactly that, but it also mentions attacking with what you have the most attack dice. Definitely needs some rule clarification there.

Also, for support how do you decide whether a minion moves or raises a pile of bones?

Take care,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think for surround ranged and spell attacks(or more support spell) should also happen if you activate a model that has them to fulfill the other conditions just that it is not a priority. Casting a minor spell after moving again costs you nothing and if you only cast support type spells during support they will essentially happen rarely. A major spell might not be available next turn for a better target so it is hard to say you just throw them at something.

For the pile of bones I guess I would would take the one that gets the toughest model closest to the enemies.

There is certainly a lack of clarity in the description of the whole section and the lack on the board examples is just not believable. I will probably wait to see the FAQ and errata before doing anything more than just brainstorming or testing what it seems to think should be done.

I do not like the level in the threat. Most missions have the same level and then having people add in groups of three seems strange. Anyway even if one model is higher level I do not think the monsters should flock to that guy since he will most likely be the hardest to deal with. Putting as many models in contact with him seems like a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For IO rules that make sense, see page XXX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krasny wrote:
For IO rules that make sense, see page XXX.
It is hard to imagine how mantic thought this book was in any way close to printable form especially a special hardback version as a bonus to their biggest backers. That is like pouring salt in the wound of the missing dungeon journal section of the hard back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm rather gullible, so when I first saw "see page XXX" I turned to page 30, then looked to see if some pages were numbered with Roman numerals, since appendices do sometimes use Roman numerals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krasny wrote:
I'm rather gullible, so when I first saw "see page XXX" I turned to page 30, then looked to see if some pages were numbered with Roman numerals, since appendices do sometimes use Roman numerals.
You do that so you can use FIND function to makes sure you have fixed them all. Similarly you use [ ... ] for other layout stuff since [ does not often appear in texts very often (unless it is a programming book). And if it does you switch to { ... }.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spray
United Kingdom
Pontypridd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Anyway version 1 of my revised IO rules. It kicked my arse, but I didn't bring my 'A' game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1469668/revised-invisible-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls