We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I missed any rules about what to do if there are no more cards in any of the draw decks?

I don't know if events are likely to be depleted.

I guess items might.

And encounters probably won't usually be depleted since there are enough for 4 weeks, less any added additionally eg. through lairs. Maybe in a long game though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW here's what 2nd Edition had to say...

2nd Edition Rules, pg 20 wrote:
If there is ever only one card left in the Event deck, do not draw it. Instead, shuffle that card together with the Event discard pile to form a new Event deck.

That even takes care of the problem when there is only 1 card remaining, where you can't draw a card from the bottom of the deck without knowing beforehand if it's a hunter/Dracula card.

But I can't see any reference to re-shuffling items there either (rules or official FAQ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd say it's a general principle in games that if a deck runs out, you shuffle the discards to create a new deck. Unless the rules specify otherwise, I would assume that always applies.

Here, I'd use that rule for the Items and Encounters, but keep the 2nd ed rule for the Events deck, because it just makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
I'd say it's a general principle in games that if a deck runs out, you shuffle the discards to create a new deck. Unless the rules specify otherwise, I would assume that always applies.

Here, I'd use that rule for the Items and Encounters, but keep the 2nd ed rule for the Events deck, because it just makes sense!

As far as Encounters go, the rules say that Dracula ALWAYS draws up to a hand of 5 cards if he falls below that. If the only way for him to do so is to shuffle the discard pile, then I'd say he does so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem that we'll have to allow re-shuffling the discards, probably for all 3 of those decks.

But just to make sure, I've submitted another question to FFG. Will post back with the response....
FFG Rules Query wrote:
Hi again! In Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition, I can't find any mention in the rules of what to do if the Item, Events or Encounters decks run out. Should we be re-shuffling the discards to create new decks for some or all of those three? Appreciate those decks won't always be depleted before a game is over, but we were very close with items in our last game. In 2nd Edition there was a special rule regarding re-shuffling Events when down to one card, so as to ensure there is always one card at the bottom of the deck with a hidden back. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer on what to do with depleted decks from FFG
Although FWIW we haven't depleted any decks yet, other than one time we came very close to running out of items.

Quote:
Rules Query
Hi again! In Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition, I can't find any mention in the rules of what to do if the Item, Events or Encounters decks run out. Should we be re-shuffling the discards to create new decks for some or all of those three? Appreciate those decks won't always be depleted before a game is over, but we were very close with items in our last game. In 2nd Edition there was a special rule regarding re-shuffling Events when down to one card, so as to ensure there is always one card at the bottom of the deck with a hidden back. Thanks!

Frank @ FFG wrote:
If the deck runs out, just shuffle the discard pile and create a new deck. I remember reading the event deck thing in second edition and being mystified at a game lasting long enough to run out of event cards. It seems kind of crazy; I wonder if that has ever happened in any game. In third edition you might run low on item cards, but I haven’t ever played a game where it has actually run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As I mentioned in the FAQ thread, I have seen the Event deck run out in 2nd edition. And I'm not sure Frank noticed the point that reshuffling when there's one card left prevents the players knowing what the "bottom" card is. Or maybe he just doesn't think it matters. I'm going to carry on using the 2nd ed rule, anyway, unless my fellow players object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if events do ever run out, we'll do the same. Makes sense, otherwise there's no mystery involved in the hunters' draw decision. Probably will never happen though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.