Howard MacKinnon
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant quote from the variant rules is as follows:

"For the following cards, the Event always takes place – even if it is played as an Activation, Recruiting or Aid card..."

Now that wording is crystal clear but is it really the intention to make the events mandatory or just to allow the player to use the ops and the event if he desires to use the event? There are many cases when you would rather wait and use the event later when the card shows up again. There are even some cases where the event would do harm given the existing situation and you would not want to see the event occur.

I know this is a variant and I can modify the rules to my own liking but I am curious to hear from others as to how they deal with this issue.

Should the event be mandatory or optional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it just like it's written, as a mandatory event, in addition to other purposes for which the card might be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard MacKinnon
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems to me that introducing mandatory events is a whole new concept that a) is absent from the original game, b) doesn't address any identified deficiency in the original rules, c) is not needed for any other rule change that does address a known deficiency, and d) could just be the result of careless language in drafting the variant rules rather than actually intended, since most of the time you would want the event to trigger right away - but not always.

If introducing the new concept of mandatory events was intended, why?

A couple of examples where there is a significant effect on game play:

a. where the Catholic doesn't want to waste the "England withdraws troops" event before English troops have entered play.

b. where the Catholic doesn't want to move the electorate from Lower Palatinate to Bavaria.

I think there are more but I forget them at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the variant, but I would make the event optional - user's choice.

I would also consider making the event occur only when played for activations or events, not for aid or recruitment. That way, events are more common but the element of choice is retained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re mandatory events, the design problem is that without such a rule very few of the key events moving the whole war along will actually be played, sticking the war in the earlier decks without later cards added. The events needed are all there, but the incentives to play them all as events are frequently lacking or delayed. With no changes, players will tend to recruit and move to fight to the exclusion of all other card uses, only playing as events a few key “new leader with forces” cards. Which results in a more pure wargame without events, that feels like the early midgame won’t leave. The mandatory event rules are a definite improvement IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls