Subject: Puzzles and problems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
I have started the list "One puzzle per abstract strategy game" at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199016/one-puzzle-abst... . Up to now (in less than a week) I have added 40 abstract strategy games and puzzles. There are hundreds I am going to add.

How you can help:

1. Give the list a thumb-up.
2. Comment on the problems and find mistakes.
3. Add puzzles to abstract strategy games' BGG entries and let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great idea!

The last problem on page 5 of this Basic Introduction to Breakthorugh may fit your geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Where are the solutions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
FiveStars wrote:
Where are the solutions?
Ops, sorry. Most of them are fairly obvious and I decided to not include any solution.

The solution for the last problem of page 5 will be:

1.- G5-H4 E1-F2
2.- C4-C3 B2xC3
3.- B4xC3 D3xC3
4.- D4xC3 whatever
5.- C3-D2 whatever
6.- D2-E1

Black's key move is:

1.- G5-H4 ...

Which must be replied with

1.- ... E1-F2

Or Black will win in 3 moves with H4-G3, G3-H2, H2-H1 and White is unable to reach row 8 before that.

After (G5-H4, E1-F2), Black threatens cell D2 continuously (from C3) until White's defenses are depleted and he can reach cell E1 (or C1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you very much! I have added Breakthrough to the list. It is game 51.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kiva - Team BoardGameGeek memberMicrobadge: Martin Gardner fanMicrobadge: SAZ memberMicrobadge: John Nash, mathematician and game theorist, 1928–2015Microbadge: I love West Papua
Must the puzzles be about perfect play?

Carlos Luna made some interresting puzzles regarding my Cairo Corridor, not about optimal play but about possible (at least in theorie) results of the game:
Cairo Corridor: A little bit of theory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
About perfect play. Otherwise I could add anything along the lines of shortest possible game, longest possible game, etc. Interesting yes, but more from a game theroretical point of view. And we got countless problems of this kind, some deep, some trivial ones. Most of them actually rather trivial. I suggest that you start another list with non-trivial problems of this kind and I would be very happy to contribute to it with a few interesting examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
side effects
BoardGameGeek is a pretty good source for games. Nonetheless, many very important games are missing, especially older ones, traditional games (or for instance) modern Russian inventions (which is quite terrible).

I have started to add games Monday last week and have submitted so far 12 games. None of them have been reviewed, added or rejected so far.

There are about 25 more games, which I want to add.

Why are these games important for me?

Well, all these games have some wonderful puzzles/problems/endgames (name it what you want) and I would really love them to add them to the list I started. The list btw numbers 80 games already, several more are in the pipeline.

Some questions:

1. What do you think how long it will take until a submission is reviewed?
2. What are the chances that a game is added?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. What do you think how long it will take until a submission is reviewed?
It sometimes takes a couple weeks or more, I have read. Depends on how busy the admins are. BGG.CON is happening soon, so there may be delays due to that.

Quote:
2. What are the chances that a game is added?
The more complete the information given with the submission, the more likely it will be accepted.

The game submission page https://boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame has a link to a guide with more info, and to the submission queue so you can verify that your submissions are in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For abstract games, they are pretty lenient on how much information you should add.

As an example, I recently added my game Maíandros, and I didn't provide much information. That amount of information is the norm, not the exception when we talk about abstract games. It took (I guess) one week and a half for them to approve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, when submitting a new combinatorial game (e.g. most mancala games etc), please remember to add it to the Combinatorial family too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Current submission queue:

*Adijuh (approved)
*Alemungula (approved)
*Alician Draughts (approved)
*Aw-li On-nam Ot-tjin
*Bitan
*Borovitskie Shashki
*Byelorussian Checkers
*Byelorussian Checkers
*Dvojnie Shashki
*Kengi
*Le zug (approved)
*Shabel
*Shatra (approved)
*Tchouba
*Waurie

There are another 20 abstract strategy games that are beautiful and deep, which I want to submit in the next weeks months (because it takes so long to approve the games here at BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Shatra added (game#105 of this list). I also submitted almost 10 links explaining the game and added two puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Luna
Spain
Rubí
Catalunya
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are some Squava Puzzles in this thread. Perhaps you can use one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
CarlosLuna wrote:
There are some Squava Puzzles in this thread. Perhaps you can use one of them.
Well, I always need the solution too (only in extreme cases a link to it). So I started a new post in the strategy section, which has a spoiler-protected solution ... and then added the game to our list. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FiveStars wrote:
There are another 20 abstract strategy games that are beautiful and deep, which I want to submit in the next weeks months (because it takes so long to approve the games here at BGG).
It would be nice if BGG could whitelist certain users so their game additions didn't need to be moderated. I'd guess they could reduce the moderation queue a reasonable amount by doing that.

P.S. Glad to see Waurie on the queue - looks like an interesting game with it's unusual victory condition and has a low barrier entry since most rules are the same as Kalah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made the suggestion above in the suggestions forum:

Whitelist of users who can add a new game without moderation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Update
3 more games added yesterday, so this makes a total of 120 games in the list.

There are still 10 games in the submission queue (some for up to 4 weeks now), and about 20 more games not yet in the BGG database (and not even in the queue), of which I got nice endgames. The approval process is very slow (1.6 games per week on the average) and sometimes quite weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
GeekList deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason why you have deleted the Geeklist ?

It was a fantastic piece of work. I really do not understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls