Subject: I can't beat this deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Thorns of the BriarqueenMicrobadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: Rebuilding the Infinity EngineMicrobadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - Dis
My friend Obie is really good at games like this. I, unfortunately, am not. Before the retail decks got here, I let him go through my PnP set and make a deck. I've beaten it once, and that was by a complete fluke. And I was using the full Cube to make my deck from, while his is still using only the PnP cards. We also play draft and random sealed, and I can beat him that way, but not this deck. Here's his deck list.

The Otis Deck
Muse x3
Steel Golem x2
Ancient Chant x3
Erase x3
Turn x3
Angel of Light x3
Brave Squire x2
Noble Unicorn x3
Banishment x2
Inner Peace x3
Rally the People x3
Cave Troll x2
Fire Shaman x3
Pack Alpha x3
Rampaging Wurm x3
Strafing Dragon x3
Flame Strike x3
Flash Fire x2
Hurricane x3
Lightning Storm x3
Rage x2
Wolf's Call x3

I tried a Drinker of Blood/Apocalypse deck, and a Lashed Soul Hunter got me my only win against him. Since then I have barely done any damage before I'm dead. Thinking of trying a version of this list next...

Angel of Light x3
Angel of Mercy x3
Angelic Protector x3
Avenging Angel x3
Blue Dragon x3
Brave Squire x3
Cleansing Light x3
Flame Strike x3
Gold Dragon x3
Hill Giant x2 (might swap to Hunting Pterosaur x2)
Ice Drake x3
Lash x3
Owl Familiar x3
Rage x3
Rally the People x3
Secret Legion x2
Strafing Dragon x3
Surprise Attack x3
The People's Champion x2
Thundarus x3
White Dragon x3

So, that's the current sacrificial lamb. Angels and Dragons, with a good bit of Human Token hijinks. Cleansing Light is a must at this point against his deck, I think. I'm also considering more direct damage as well. I didn't add in Erase and Turn yet, still trying to figure out if I can get them to fit. If anyone can throw some pointers my way, or point out any glaring holes in his deck that I'm not seeing, I would appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dougherty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Your list looks pretty good. I would suggest going to 3x Hunting Pterosaur and 3 x flash fire. This will help you deal with his Muse, Fire Shaman, and Wolf's Call.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any answer if your opponent take control of your champion like Thundarus using Turn during his turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Thorns of the BriarqueenMicrobadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: Rebuilding the Infinity EngineMicrobadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - Dis
brighknight_216 wrote:
Do you have any answer if your opponent take control of your champion like Thundarus using Turn during his turn?
Good point. I'm taking Flame Strike out and replacing it with Turn. Still tweaking it a bit, will post more thoughts tomorrow after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an attempt to analyse your friend's deck to see what are its strengths and weaknesses

OTIS DECK
Sage(14) Good (16) Wild (30)
Champion (27) Event (33); pseudo champion cards - Wolf's Call, Turn
Healing: Inner Peace; Angel of Light
Draw Engine: Muse, Erase, Ancient Chant, Noble Unicorn, Hurricane, Flash Fire
Breakthrough: Rage
Airborne: Angel of Light, Strafing Dragon
Untargetable: Steel Golem
Champion removal: Banishment, Erase
Champion spam: Pack Alpha, Wolf's Call
Booard wipe: Hurricane, Flash Fire
Ambush: Strafing Dragon, Wolf's Call
Blitz: Strafing Dragon, Rampaging Wurm, Steel Golem (Loyalty 2)
Direct damage to player: Flame Strike, Fire Shaman, Lightning Storm, Strafing Dragon (Loyalty 2)

Sage Champion (5)
Steel Golem x2
Muse x3

Good Champion (8)
Angel of Light x3
Brave Squire x2
Noble Unicorn x3

Wild Champion (14)
Strafing Dragon x3
Cave Troll x2
Fire Shaman x3
Pack Alpha x3
Rampaging Wurm x3

Sage Event (9)
Ancient Chant x3
Erase x3
Turn x3

Good Event (8)
Banishment x2
Inner Peace x3
Rally the People x3

Wild Event (16)
Wolf's Call x3
Flame Strike x3
Flash Fire x2
Hurricane x3
Lightning Storm x3
Rage x2

Look at your friends, it leverages very much on board control via Turn, Erase, and Banishment. In addition, it has many cards that can deal direct damage with Hurricane and Flame Strike delivering the most damage.

I think you made the right call of having more Airborne units when playing against your friend's deck with a very dragon and angel focused build using Thundarus, Gold Dragon, Blue Dragon, Ice Drake and White Dragon for the dragons and Angel of Light, Angel of Mercy, Avenging Angel, and Angelic Protector. All your dragons can get a significant Offense and Defense Value increase when Thundarus is on the board.

The presence of Gold Dragon and Avenging Angel helps you gain health back via Righteousness. This is highly essential but I am not sure whether having 6 copies of cards that provide healing will be adequate due to the frequency of your friend's deck being able to deal direct damage to you. Nonetheless, if you can Gold Dragon on the board, then it can easily helps you recover your health very fast when you also have other units to attack.

However, I am uncertain with the significance of Owl Familiar because you don't have good Event target other than Surprise Attack and Secret Legion.

As written previously, I would suggest you to have Turn or cards cards that can remove champion from the board which I think is lacking which can be achieved via banishing, breaking, or returning champion to the owner's hand. My concern is what if your friends take control over your large champion especially Thundarus via Turn. What can you do to address this situation?

Since you are playing the People's Champion and Secret Legion, you may want to consider putting in Courageous Soul in order to increase the offense value of your Human tokens.

I may probably change your deck to the following (but I have written your original stat number in bracket for my personal analysis).
Champion (37) Event (23); pseudo champion cards: Secret Legion, Brave Squire, Rally the People
Good (34) Sage (9) Wild (17)

Airborne champions: Angel of Light, Angel of Mercy, Angelic Protector, Avenging Angel, Gold Dragon, Thundarus, White Dragon, Blue Dragon, Ice Drake, Strafing Dragon (would recommend you to reduce the number of Airborne Champions to put in some 'control' cards)
Ambush: Angel of Mercy, Angel of Light, Ice Drake, Strafing Dragon

Good Champion (23)
Angel of Light x3
Angel of Mercy x3 x2
Angelic Protector x3 Palace Guard x3 Comment: Utilise him for Banishment; you already have loads of Airborne Units
Avenging Angel x3
Gold Dragon x3
Thundarus x3
White Dragon x3
The People's Champion x2 x3

Sage Champion (9)
Blue Dragon x3 x2
Ice Drake x3 I would take out Ice Drake because you will have low probability triggering its Loyalty 2 effect due to low number of Sage cards; also you already a lot of Airborne units - consider putting 3x Banishment/3x Erase. The former however can let you trigger the ally abilities of the People's Champion
Owl Familiar x3 Courageous Soul x3

Wild Champion (5)
Hill Giant x2 (might swap to Hunting Pterosaur x2)
Strafing Dragon x3 Noble Unicorn x3 Comment: It is fun when you The People Champion and Noble Unicorn on the board because you can to trigger two ally abilities when playing 1 cost Good cards which you have a lot

Good Event (11)
Secret Legion x2 x3 Comment: Thought of capitalising on the People's Champion
Brave Squire x3
Cleansing Light x3
Rally the People x3

Wild Event (12)
Surprise Attack x3
Flame Strike x3
Rage x3 Turn x3 Comment: I think Lash can provide you with Breakthrough unless you want to maintain this card for card draw
Lash x3

Let me know how the deck performed after you play with the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Arnold
msg tools
mbmb
Try returning the champion to it's owner's hand. Erase, Hasty Retreat, Sea Titan, Time Bender, and Time Walker will all get the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls