1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What games have left you with the most satisfying endings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
I know people have problems with the nature of VP games where the end isn't really climactic and it's just a matter of tallying up scores. What game has left you with the best aftertaste?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Satisfying endings...climactic...and aftertaste??

Pete (wonders where you're really going with this )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:

Probably something to do with sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires

Power Grid

Age of Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. World in Flames : After months of playing, the game has just ended. Something great has been accomplished. It is of no importance who won. You and 3 or 4 other players have constructed a story that will be talked about for years.

2. The Resistance: Avalon: The final reveal of who was good and who was evil is always a great moment. The AHA moment! The reveal is particularly strong when the bed bad guys win. But Avalon being a short game, the great ending only lasts a few minutes.

edit: I initially wrote "bed" guys. I wonder if I was subliminally influenced by the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse You can have a TPK or an easy run, but many games come down to a touch and go battle to the end, and since everyone's working together, my great end isn't your lousey end.

Le Havre this represents any solid economic engine builder. Win or lose watching the engine you built up from a fish and a couple of loafs of bread roar along at the end is gratifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Colosseum
Glory to Rome
Basically engine building games. I like being able to feel a sense of accomplishment whether I win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Can pretty much ignore what I wrote in box, would have left it blank if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Microbadge: My microbadges are hot!Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: Look!Microbadge: My microbadges are hot!
Lords of Xidit, hands down. The 3-part scoring process where players are eliminated in the first 2 parts is always tense and hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second play of Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game after getting our butts kicked in the first. It was rather close, but we rallied enough to pull it off. My first win in Mage Knight Board Game. Seeing epic rounds in Star Realms where somebody won after being down to 1-2 Authority. I think my first victory in Android: Netrunner was after I had bluffed my friend enough to where I left two agenda cards completely unguarded and he never went for them. Tundra Orcs in Summoner Wars where at one point the length of the board was walled off except for one spot and the TO where sitting there for anybody who came though. In all honesty, Summoner Wars has offered the most satisfying endings in any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tekshi wrote:
I know people have problems with the nature of VP games where the end isn't really climactic and it's just a matter of tallying up scores.
Then those people are idiots.

a) In a close game where no one knows who won, counting up VP's can be a nailbiter!

II) VP's are merely goals that can be completed multiple times and/or goals of differing weight. Complaining about "VP games" marks them as someone who doesn't know what VP's actually are.

Tres) Many games that don't use the term "VP's" still have them nonetheless: Money/value in the "Most money wins" game. Most cities, most territory, etc.

Delta) Games with single goals can be just as anticlimactic as games with VP's. How many chess matches end with one player resigning well before checkmate is imminent?

Games that are anticlimactic are those that can, and often do, result in blowouts where the winner is obvious well before the game ends. That has NOTHING to do with whether the game uses VP's or not.

Quote:
What game has left you with the best aftertaste?
gulp

To demonstrate my point, the last Stone Age game I played I was leading by a huge score until the final countdown, when an opponent scored over 100 points on accumulated cards he had collected and beat me by a 3 VP's.

"VP games" = anticlimactic? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Moon
-Everyone on the edge of their seat. I'm the captain...but am I the traitor!? Maybe I am...ha ha, it was great! (I wasn't).

Pretty much any co-op where it's close at the end, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a few of exciting games of Eldritch Horror where victory/loss hinged on the results of the final turn.

The two games of The Resistance I played generally came down to making the right choice on the last mission and were pretty exciting.

-----

Close point counting games can be exciting.

I've had a game of Epic Galaxies and Copper Country come down to the tie breaker, which we didn't know, so there was tension while we scoured the rule books. I won one, lost the other. It probably wasn't so interesting for the players who weren't involved in the tie though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Matei
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By far for me is chaos in the old world, dial win, or VP win.. it's always close and fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
History of the World We played for 8 hours straight at our FLGS. I was behind for most of the game, but then had a sudden upsurge in points to win in the final epoch. It was a long satisfying fight for my portion of the human race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2 player campaign of Descent2 over 3 weeks(I think it was Nerekhall) with me using 4 heroes.
Beating a scenario of Robinson Crusoe for the 1st time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
1. World in Flames : After months of playing, the game has just ended. Something great has been accomplished. It is of no importance who won. You and 3 or 4 other players have constructed a story that will be talked about for years.
Exactly this. WiF was on my table for 18 months. I'm not really a wargamer, but this was the most satisfying game ever even though my Italians got wiped out. Stupid Gibraltar rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game ... win or lose, the game always ends with one person destroying the other's last remaining ship. Doesn't hurt that the game is tense throughout.

2. Pandemic Legacy ... games can come down to the wire. And finding out what happens after a game (win or lose) makes is super fun when you finish.

3. Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game ... Completing the final objective to win, or getting your butt handed to at any point in the game for the loss. Both are great.

Three things to take from this in terms of my preferences:

1. I tend to love games that end without requiring the extra step of tallying points, money, or anything else.

2. It's also important that the game end is satisfying no matter what, win or lose.

3. Game endings are more satisfying when the game is tight / tense throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Maybe hugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Steampunk Rally.

Having a vessel explode into many parts leaving nothing but the cockpit as it crosses the finish line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Not sure if this qualifies, but we had a really great ending to a game of Splendor. Four players, and three of us were all one card from winning, each somewhere around 12 or 13 points. The three of us were all eyeing one another, trying to calculate who was going to be able to make that final buy first and whether anyone else could make a better buy and pull ahead. Everyone seemed to be about two turns from winning. The fourth player was stuck at seven points and, we figured, pretty much out of the game. When her turn came around, she said "I'll buy this reserved card I have here, for five points. Oh, and that allows me to claim this noble for another three. Fifteen points!" Since none of us others could buy the card to take us over the top that turn, she pulled out the win. Best example of a surprise comeback I can remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set

I still haven't mixed my character decks back into the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically any that are close-fought, especially when a trailing player pulls off a surprise win at the end.

The most common in that regard right now for me are Steampunk Rally (as mentioned, it's highly entertaining to watch someone nearly blow up their machine to pull a last-ditch surge to the finish), Sentinels with single-digit HP for the remaining heroes (especially when it's one left standing mano-a-mano with the villain), Race with close tableaus, and a 6? development scores big.

A second favorite is when the game has told an engaging story. Sentinels again pulls this off with nearly every play. Commands & Colors: Ancients is doing this for us right now, Pandemic can get a good story line going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the most satisfying endings are when, win or lose, I can look down and see what I built.

My farm in Agricola
My area of France in The Castles of Burgundy
My ship and crew in Firefly
My entire world in Roads & Boats

It doesn't matter if it's Euro or Ameritrash, I love physically accomplishing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game leave me with this feeling. A lot of our BSG games come "right down to the wire" - where a single jump symbol or risking everything on the FTL roll can make all the difference. For example...

Cylons pounding Galactica, our Vipers overrun by Cylon Raiders, all of the resources within a hair's breadth of depletion. Surely humanity is doomed... but wait! The crisis gives us a new jump symbol, we might have a chance! All we need to do is survive the Basestars' next volleys and we can try to jump the fleet. Galactica shudders under the impact of incoming nukes, but the FTL Control is intact!

HIT THE BUTTON, MR. TYROL! He sprints to the FTL Control, but there's a problem... we only have 1 population left, and we're risking it all on this roll... the die comes up a 6. It's over. Humanity is finished. Or are they? Chief slams down a Calculations, raising the die roll up to the needed 7 to save our poor beleaguered civilians! The table erupts into cheers, humanity lives to fight another day! Even the Cylons shake their heads, smiling... you couldn't ask for a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |