Subject: Difference(s) between 2nd and 3rd edition ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
I WANT to buy the 3rd edition.

But on Youtube, almost all the videos concern the 2nd edition only.

Can someone give me the differences between these two editions ?
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
Some of the main differences:

- Combat is resolved by tokens instead of dice, with another player making decisions on behalf of the monster.

- Quests are divided by type (combat, exploration, social) instead of by level.

- Hero "stamina" has been combined in with a skill card mechanic; you draw skills from a deck that you can either "learn" to become a skill your hero has, or can be discarded to power abilities.

- The game has been designed to be explicitly scenario-based, with a large portion of each quest deck featuring scenario-specific quests.

- There's a game timer that has been implemented for use by default.

I'm sure others can think of more differences, but those are the main ones that come to mind right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Someone asked me about the component comparision and I wasn't sure as I haven't seen 3rd ed. in-person. Any thoughts?

As far as Terrain dice go, 2nd ed. would take the cake (etched) vs the stickered 3rd ed. But not sure about that the other components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: JackassMicrobadge: I´m only half evilMicrobadge: We are all winners - we were the fastest spermMicrobadge: Attempting to give a damn.......damn not given.
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Someone asked me about the component comparision and I wasn't sure as I haven't seen 3rd ed. in-person. Any thoughts?

As far as Terrain dice go, 2nd ed. would take the cake (etched) vs the stickered 3rd ed. But not sure about that the other components.
The second ed dice are sticker'd just like 3rd edition.

And no they aren't cheap flimsy nor do they wear easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ghool wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Wait... are you saying the dice shown here at 1:47 are not etched but stickered?

https://youtu.be/tFwqteWCR4A?t=1m47s

They certainly look etched to me. Or maybe the 2013 reprint was different?

EDIT - I gather from this that 2E changed at some point?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1105829/looking-etched-move...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Ghool wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Wait... are you saying the dice shown here at 1:47 are not etched but stickered?

https://youtu.be/tFwqteWCR4A?t=1m47s

They certainly look etched to me. Or maybe the 2013 reprint was different?
There have been both etched and stickered dice for second edition.

The dice in third edition are (to date) stickered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Ghool wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

1st ed. was etched.
The very first printing of 2d ed. was stickers. But, people complained, and every printing after that, as far as I know, was etched.
My own 2nd ed. dice are definitely etched, unless I have a long-lasting and vivid halucinatory delusion devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if combat in 3rd edition would take much longer to resolve. In 2nd edition combat is pretty straight forward (roll dice and beat the value indicated)and easily adapted to solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to both for clarifying. To be fair I think the point of Ghool's post worth emphasising is:

Ghool wrote:
If the 2E stickered dice were decent and lasted then hopefully the 3E ones will too.

They certainly look nice enough being full colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Orion3T wrote:
Thanks to both for clarifying. To be fair I think the point of Ghool's post worth emphasising is:

Ghool wrote:
If the 2E stickered dice were decent and lasted then hopefully the 3E ones will too.

They certainly look nice enough being full colour.
But I think as far as edition comparision, 2nd vs 3rd, could anyone make the argument that stickers > etched? Or even stickered = etched? Etched is surely "higher" quality than stickered, no? Otherwise, why would etched dice be more expensive than stickered dice.

That's not to say the stickers themselves are lousy quality, it's just a component quality comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
But I think as far as edition comparision, 2nd vs 3rd, could anyone make the argument that stickers > etched? Or even stickered = etched? Etched is surely "higher" quality than stickered, no? Otherwise, why would etched dice be more expensive than stickered dice.

That's not to say the stickers themselves are lousy quality, it's just a component quality comparison.
For otherwise identical dice having gone through similar quality control, I would tend to agree. But I don't think it automatically follows.

Being etched in itself doesn't guarantee good quality. Just look at some of the DiceMasters dice, which are all etched.

The 3E dice are full colour and match the terrain on the board exactly, something not possible with etching. Some people might prefer the full colour stickers to B&W etched. So for them, the 3D dice are preferred. Quality is somewhat subjective in this case I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Orion3T wrote:

The 3E dice are full colour and match the terrain on the board exactly, something not possible with etching. Some people might prefer the full colour stickers to B&W etched. So for them, the 3D dice are preferred. Quality is somewhat subjective in this case I think.
Good point, if the stickers serve an in-context purpose that etched couldn't do, then functionality wise they might be preferred, even if in isolation, looking at the dice next to each other, the etched might be deemed higher quality.

Actually, 2nd and 3rd ed are so different, I wonder if it's more helpful to think of them as separate games rather than different editions of the same game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight game these days has STICKERED DICE!? Eh!?

And I also don't like this another player controls the monster mechanic. While it is not a great game, Witcher Adventure Game had a great battle/enemy mechanic that didn't need another player controlling it.

I'm skipping Runebound, for now. Shame that Witcher hasn't gotten an expansion :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tikal fanMicrobadge: Insider fanMicrobadge: The Quest for El Dorado fanMicrobadge: Century: Spice Road fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne: Amazonas fan
Ghool wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

My 2nd edition is etched, no stickers.

I am definitely gonna need to see some video reviews on this one, not sure if there is enough difference between game plays to get the 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Fantasy Flight game these days has STICKERED DICE!? Eh!?

And I also don't like this another player controls the monster mechanic. While it is not a great game, Witcher Adventure Game had a great battle/enemy mechanic that didn't need another player controlling it.

I'm skipping Runebound, for now. Shame that Witcher hasn't gotten an expansion :/
What is your issue with another player flipping tokens? The game can still be soloed if that is the implicit complaint; not a single person with hands on experience has denied this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Etched is surely "higher" quality than stickered, no? Otherwise, why would etched dice be more expensive than stickered dice.
It's certainly not true that anything that's more expensive is always better. You could make a baseball bat out of solid gold, but it wouldn't work as well as a piece of wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Etched is surely "higher" quality than stickered, no? Otherwise, why would etched dice be more expensive than stickered dice.
It's certainly not true that anything that's more expensive is always better. You could make a baseball bat out of solid gold, but it wouldn't work as well as a piece of wood.
I'm talking in the context of board games, not as a general statement about life.

Say I want some customized dice for whatever reason, prototypes, etc. Stickered dice would be way cheaper to obtain than etched dice of the same design. It's a more expensive process to make etched dice than it is to make blank dice with stickers, but etched are generally considered a higher quality end-product. You pay more, for something that is considered by most standards a step up in aesthetics and quality. If you offer someone a handful of etched dice vs a handful of stickered dice for the same price, abstracted from game functionality, just talking dice here, I would be really shocked if the majority of people chose the stickered dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
It's a more expensive process to make etched dice than it is to make blank dice with stickers, but etched are generally considered a higher quality end-product.
Now you're begging the question. If you assume that etched dice are higher quality, or you personally like them more, then of course you can conclude they are better. But, without that assumption, it's entirely possible for some or even most people to prefer the less expensive product.

IMHO whether people prefer etched or stickered dice mostly depends on the quality. E.g., the stickered dice in Runebound (First Edition) were of low quality and poorly executed, so of course people aren't going to like those much. But it doesn't follow that people might not prefer stickered dice if they are well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
So just to be clear, as indicated by the progress of this thread, the most important difference between 2nd and 3rd Edition is the change to stickered dice.

Please keep this in mind when making your purchasing decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
DaviddesJ wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
It's a more expensive process to make etched dice than it is to make blank dice with stickers, but etched are generally considered a higher quality end-product.
Now you're begging the question. If you assume that etched dice are higher quality, or you personally like them more, then of course you can conclude they are better. But, without that assumption, it's entirely possible for some or even most people to prefer the less expensive product.

IMHO whether people prefer etched or stickered dice mostly depends on the quality. E.g., the stickered dice in Runebound (First Edition) were of low quality and poorly executed, so of course people aren't going to like those much. But it doesn't follow that people might not prefer stickered dice if they are well done.
To add the the derailing about the dice.

1) when talking about differences often people want to talk about things that make something 'better' or 'worse'.

2) I would admit etched are more expensive. But more expensive does not equal better. Some of it is purely a matter of taste.

3) At what point does a 'lavish' production become 'garish'. Even if one agrees that X component is more expensive/high quality, does it warrant it and 'improve' the game.

In another thread about 'up dated' are, a game was pointed out as being improved because they came out with a new 'version' of it with updated colorful art. Therefore it was 'better' To me it WASN'T a better game now.

Hope that made sense. It does in my head, but there's too much in it talking at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
There is an actual debate arguing snickered dice are better than etched?
Really?
FFG should have made the board a paper map as well, people would have ate that shit up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tikal fanMicrobadge: Insider fanMicrobadge: The Quest for El Dorado fanMicrobadge: Century: Spice Road fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne: Amazonas fan
It is possible to find and create stickered dice that are very good. It is also possible to find etched dice that are bad.

But it is fairly obvious that the chances of etched dice being better than stickered dice are tremendous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
But it is fairly obvious that the chances of etched dice being better than stickered dice are tremendous.
I don't see how you can subject it to probabilistic analysis. You would need to make some assumptions about the people making the decisions, their tastes, resources, priorities, etc. We don't have that information.

The stickered dice from Runebound (First Edition) weren't very good. But that was over 10 years ago. I don't think it tells us much about what they would do now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stickers fail.
I have very few toys and game from my childhood that have "in-tact" stickers.

Etched is definitely the way to go.

That aside, they changed the combat system in 3rd edition to a more, rock paper scissors kind of thing. Not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |