Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Please recommend the best way to learn this game. . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Never played this game, and have not yet watched a video or read rules. Thinking of purchasing it for primarily as a two player game. But I have read the iconography is hard to get.

Other than reading the rules, can you recommend your favorite video or guide that might make it clear on how this game works and "getting" the supposed hard iconography and flow of the game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Cordovan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game looks intimidating- but in fact it isn't. the iconography is brilliant, but it looks too much,... but easy after a few games.
just pick it up and play it in a slow two player game.
everything clears slowly up. love for RftG grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Gaius said. It is intimidating at first, but most of the icons quickly become second nature. The Consume-Trade action is the hardest to get your head around, but after 3-4 plays you will have that one figured out. After that, scoring the 6? developments will take the longest. So, take the plunge! It's a great game.

I like these videos by Wei-Hwa Huang:

Start with #1 above & follow to 2 & 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hanifin
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a nice audio only introduction from an instructor's point of view. This guy does a really good job at easing you into the concepts of the game a little at a time. Which is nice because it is easy to get sidetracked trying to explain the details of what all of the icons mean... which overwhelms new players.

http://howtoplaypodcast.com/episodes/episodes-21-30/episode-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Grizonnet
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learn french or use Google Translate in my guides on Ludovox :

------- Basics -------
http://ludovox.fr/le-guide-du-colonisateur-galactique/

------- Combos -------
http://ludovox.fr/race-for-the-galaxy-les-combinaisons-spati...

------- First extension -------
http://ludovox.fr/race-for-the-galaxy-tempete-en-formation/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djinn42 wrote:
Learn french or use Google Translate in my guides on Ludovox :

Haha, add another layer of language learning on top! Needless to say, only french speakers should try to learn this game using french resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
rayreviewsgames does a great video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeUw0v8Y-gQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really, really just need to stumble through 3 games or so. Our game group did that, by the end of the 3rd or 4th game, it just clicked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This guide worked like a charm in our group:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46904/race-kids-rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russell smith
United States
Manteno
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianHanifin wrote:
Here is a nice audio only introduction from an instructor's point of view. This guy does a really good job at easing you into the concepts of the game a little at a time. Which is nice because it is easy to get sidetracked trying to explain the details of what all of the icons mean... which overwhelms new players.

http://howtoplaypodcast.com/episodes/episodes-21-30/episode-...

plus one for the how to play podcast. this is not only how I learned to play but how I learned to teach successfully.

and as a note this is an absolutely a great two player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned from Rahdo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Lots of great suggestions here. Thank you all so much! Everyone got a wee bit of GG for taking the time to respond up to now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hanifin
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest mistake we made the first several play throughs is we grabbed Victory Point tokens every time we settled a planet or played a development card in our tableau. That made the game end waaaay to quickly.

Apparently, the tableu victory points are added at the end of the game. While the Victory Point chips (which end the game) are only collected when an action on a card in your tableau calls for it (when consuming resources for example).

I can't wait to play the game again (hopefully) the right way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned to play on boardgamearena.com. This made the iconography easy, as I already knew mostly how to play. To be fair though, it already made more sense as I learned Roll first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
This guide worked like a charm in our group:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46904/race-kids-rules

I'm planning to use this when I finally get the courage to teach my roommates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
"getting" the supposed hard iconography and flow of the game?

I don't think the icons are that hard. If you understand the icons on your start worlds, the action selection cards, and whichever preset hand you are using and ignore anything else for your first game you'd probably be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are the player reference cards. Those are invaluable for the first few games, then live in the box after you internalize the iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Never played this game, and have not yet watched a video or read rules. Thinking of purchasing it for primarily as a two player game. But I have read the iconography is hard to get.

Other than reading the rules, can you recommend your favorite video or guide that might make it clear on how this game works and "getting" the supposed hard iconography and flow of the game?

Thanks!

I think it's best to start out 4 player, 2 player is a little harder? But then again, I think 4 player would have more AP the first game. Then again, I enjoy 2p a lot more, so maybe that's the best way to jump in.

https://youtu.be/um0jIYodqRI I think this was the video I showed to friends to help them out. It works well because they teach Produce before Consume/Sell.

Another thing I'd recommend, and this is weird, but sometimes I just tell people to play San Juan first I played it before RFTG on iOS and it helped a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's easiest to learn two player, but not using the two player rules for experienced players (so you each chose one action per round), that way you only have to think about two actions and you choose one of them. I learnt 3p and have played games with new players at 2, 3 & 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised no-one's mentioned it yet, but many people gain a basic grasp of the rules and have no idea how to construct a strategy. Keldon's AI helps a lot in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Race is definitely a game you have to put some time into to learn. I found the experience enjoyable even while I was getting some rules wrong.

The game has some suggested starting hands that you should use your first few plays. I'd also strongly recommend playing the base game multiple times before adding expansions into the mix. Each expansion adds some new rules to the gameplay, and the new cards in each expansion require you to adjust tried-and-true strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Race is definitely a game you have to put some time into to learn. I found the experience enjoyable even while I was getting some rules wrong.

The game has some suggested starting hands that you should use your first few plays. I'd also strongly recommend playing the base game multiple times before adding expansions into the mix. Each expansion adds some new rules to the gameplay, and the new cards in each expansion require you to adjust tried-and-true strategies.

This! There's a reason Tom set up those starting hands. At least you know you're beginning with a decent start & can concentrate more on internalizing the iconography and basic game play.

After a few games you start to learn the various strategies, then you can reasonably think about adding expansions. I'm adding them one at a time & doing a few plays at each "level" before adding the next one. So, BoW is sitting in shrink for a month now as my son and I aren't completely comfortable with RvI and the takeover rules yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the start hand are a must when I teach the game. And, honestly, I think you can get more than one interesting games using them due to the different paths you can take with each.

As a game teacher, there's not much worse than spending ten minutes on rules, then throwing six cards at players and telling them to make an intelligent decision on which two to throw away. The blank looks are deafening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to learn this is to not and find a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
The best way to learn this is to not and find a better game.

Seriously? You're going to jump into the conversation just to make an insult.

Dude, get some help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.