Popular Tags: [View All]
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, or if it has been posted earlier somewhere around here, but here goes anyway:

Paradox Interactive (makers of many Grand Strategy PC games, most notably Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron) might think of branching into board games. They currently have a small survey on their forum site, check it out if you like their work!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php

I would very much like to see board game versions of their games, although I have no idea of how that would work out. Just don't give us Europa Universalis Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filled in the survey.

Would love to see Crusader Kings or EU the board game. Not sure how they would condense it down though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurcucumber wrote:
Filled in the survey.

Would love to see Crusader Kings or EU the board game. Not sure how they would condense it down though.
Wasn't EU originally a boardgame before Paradox turned it into a PC game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneoldgamer wrote:
arthurcucumber wrote:
Filled in the survey.

Wasn't EU originally a boardgame before Paradox turned it into a PC game?
Yeah, well, at least partially. The old boardgame is a real beast where the campaign can last for ~100 hours (longer than a complete EU4 campaign!) with difficult and poorly translated English rules. One cool thing is that all player powers have different victory objectives.

The old Europa Universalis PC game has more in common with an old Swedish PC game called Svea Rike, where you choose a Swedish dynasty to take control of at the end of the Kalmar Union and beginning of Swedish independence. This PC game was in turn based on boardgame with the same name: Svea Rike. I am fairly sure that this is the game shown in the Paradox survey banner.

So, apart from the name and general scope of the game, the Europa Universalis series does not have much in common with the old board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could go for a Hearts of Iron boardgame. Mmm, massive tech tree.

Paradox makes some fantastic games.

The one time I played the '36 - '47 HoI campaign, the German march finally stopped in New Guinea. Europe, Russia, Africa, India, all under the flag of the Third Reich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry B
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I love Paradox games. If they put the same sort of quality into developing a board game as they do their PC games it would be a win for all of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls