Subject: Dice Placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał Woźniak
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found this mechanic very interesting and it gives me much fun.
Could you give me a tip about any other good (preferably better that this one) games with this kind of mechanism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about these being better (haven't played this one yet to know), but the 2 big daddies in this genre are Kingsburg and Alien Frontiers. I enjoyed Alien Frontiers more than Kingsburg, but a lot of that is just the themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is probably Troyes. It has interesting methods of getting more dice and mitigating bad rolls by allowing you to buy dice from other players. Kingsburg is very good but is very similar to Kingsport Festival. Alien Frontiers gets a lot of love but I only found it OK. Other good ones are Bora Bora and Alea Iacta Est.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Claustrophobia also has dice placement, but the gameplay is completely different. It's a tactical miniature game.

If you're playing the humans, then you have 4 characters and you assign each of them a die. Based on the die you determine their movement, defense and offense and certain special abilities.

If you're playing the demons, then you have special abilities that can be activated based on different die results. For example you have an ability that would say "if you put at least 12 die results here" or "put up to 2 die here, both must be even or odds"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Woźniak
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx. I "know" Troyes, played once, but totally disliked (graphics look awful to me, and I almost didn't know what I was doing - that's because I played with person that also played 1st time). But I'll take a look at other three.
Bora Bora looks nice. Alien Frontiers too, but I'm very cautious about "cosmic themes", or I should say I don't like this theme (don't know why - it's just like this, since Starcraft on PC ;-) ). But - I like Aliens :-P , so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick SAYET
France
CLERMONT-FERRAND
Puy de Dôme
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rajas of the Ganges uses both the number on the dice and the color