Kate H
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm trying to get my nephews into gaming. The 14-year-old is coming along beautifully. The almost 8-year-old is another story. His attention span is less than could be hoped for given his age, and I'm just less familiar with games that would suit his stage of development.

I'm looking for recommendations for games that would last about 30 minutes and be suited to plenty of replays. I'm not interested in buying one of the old school games like Sorry, Parchesi, Monopoly, etc. And cooperative games generally bore me to tears. I do own Forbidden Island, so I could suck it up and play that with him if that's really the best option. (Though if I'm honest, I don't really think he has the focus for that one yet; it would be me playing the whole game for him really.) I'm hoping to hear about better options from gamer parents with kids this age.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo
Labyrinth

Both work well without being boring.

King of Tokyo is easy enough for kids and is very shiny shiny too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Lucký
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games in my scout troop and (almost) the same games with my friends:

Fast-paced fun:
Spot it!
Tarantel Tango
Cockroach Salad
Jungle Speed
Cheating Moth
Rumble in the House
Ubongo

Coop and semi-coop
Between Two Cities
Forbidden Island
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Larger games (may exceed 30 minutes)
Takenoko
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends --works well with boys, not suitable for the 6yo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Indigo
Labyrinth

Both work well without being boring.

+1 for King of Tokyo - later you can also add the small expansion King of Tokyo: Power Up!, which my kids love and I find adds allot to make the game even more fun for me!

Jamaica is also a game my kids like, I enjoy playing and is quick and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Troth
United Kingdom
Wigston
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
[

Another +1 from me for King of Tokyo.

I'd also like to throw Survive: Escape from Atlantis into the mix too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, King of Tokyo is good fun for everyone. I'd say the dice chuckers are the best bet in general. Run, Fight, or Die! is a bit more complex but just as good. Bang the Dice game might is fun as well. Takenoko is fun as well. Might check out Best Treehouse Ever, Smash Up and Jamaica as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Newbound
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ticket to Ride fanMicrobadge: Pandemic Legacy fanMicrobadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Cacao fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fan
My Children are 5 and 8. We currently enjoy:-

Cacao
Labyrinth
Mice and Mystics
Jungle Speed

My 8 year old also really likes Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up is fun for all ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Dickman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kthaeh wrote:
I'm trying to get my nephews into gaming. The 14-year-old is coming along beautifully. The almost 8-year-old is another story. His attention span is less than could be hoped for given his age, and I'm just less familiar with games that would suit his stage of development.

I'm looking for recommendations for games that would last about 30 minutes and be suited to plenty of replays. I'm not interested in buying one of the old school games like Sorry, Parchesi, Monopoly, etc. And cooperative games generally bore me to tears. I do own Forbidden Island, so I could suck it up and play that with him if that's really the best option. (Though if I'm honest, I don't really think he has the focus for that one yet; it would be me playing the whole game for him really.) I'm hoping to hear about better options from gamer parents with kids this age.

What other sorts of stories/games/movies/shows does he like?

If the game is about something that your young nephew would otherwise be excited about, I would guess he'd be more willing to focus on it. And, even if he doesn't grasp exactly how to play, if he has a lot of fun because of what the game is about, then that may go a long way towards making gaming seem awesome.

For instance, my 11 year old nephew really likes Betrayal at House on the Hill because he loves the tv show Supernatural. He equates his experiences in Betrayal to what happens on an episode of Supernatural. We have to help him a lot in the game, and there's no way he could be the betrayer, but he has a blast playing it.

Similarly, my son is absolutely crazy about robots. So he loves Get Bit!, even though he's too young to really grasp what's supposed to be going on (he's 4). He also loves looking at/playing any game with a game board that reminds him of maps, because he thinks maps are cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good luck with Dragonheart for kids that age, open-handed to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Terror in Meeple city ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant is fantastic and everyone loves it. 5 rounds of going into a temple to pillage treasure. But don't spring 2 identical traps, or you will lose all your treasure that round.

Basically, "shall I stay or shall I go?" decision every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Fleet (fun pirate game with lots of player interactions).
Steampunk Rally (maybe with a modified rule to accommodate the younger one, but my son plays the game fine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto: The Dice Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza! We play with the modified rules as laid out in My First Bohnanza with our 3.5 year old several times and a week and we all have a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are lots of fine suggestions, but I believe the first best is King of Tokyo. I have taught it to many kids aged 6-9. The mechanics are simple enough, somewhat strategic, without undermining the crazy flair of the game. And it will get them anticipating other games that might be out there.

I might also look at Flash Point Fire Rescue. Not as wild as KoT, the mechanics fit the theme perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kthaeh wrote:
(Though if I'm honest, I don't really think he has the focus for that one yet; it would be me playing the whole game for him really.)
Forgive me, but I am not quite sure why you are concerned. Even if this were a more attentive boy, you should expect to remind him about choices and challenges at each stage of any game you play. Of course, you should let him play the game the way he wants. You cannot expect that he is going to understand the game after a cold rules explanation or even after 2 games. A new gamer of that age will need to be reminded about his options and at least be warned about decisions that might cost him or that you have taken actions that could break the game open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate H
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Forgive me, but I am not quite sure why you are concerned. Even if this were a more attentive boy, you should expect to remind him about choices and challenges at each stage of any game you play. Of course, you should let him play the game the way he wants. You cannot expect that he is going to understand the game after a cold rules explanation or even after 2 games. A new gamer of that age will need to be reminded about his options and at least be warned about decisions that might cost him or that you have taken actions that could break the game open.
I mention his lack of ability to focus on that game as a benchmark of his development so as to give parent-gamers a sense of where he's at, so that they can give relevant recommendations. Also, as I said, I'm generally bored with cooperative games; in the comparatively limited amount of time I spend with my nephew, I'd prefer to have a good time myself. I think kids pick up on that and if I'm not enjoying the game, why should he look forward to more gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyzx1 wrote:
Jamaica is also a game my kids like, I enjoy playing and is quick and easy.
I find Jamaica really dull, I don't think there are many interesting decisions and it seems to take too long (45-60 mins). The artwork is lovely though, and lots of people on BGG do seem to enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some suggestions:

Hive Pocket
Hey, That's My Fish!
Kalah
Star Realms
Carcassonne (maybe without farmers)

I've played all except Star Realms with my 5 year old son, Star Realms I've played with my daughter (7) and her cousin (8). All of them I'm play with adults too. When playing games with children I always try to take my moves as quickly as possible so they don't get bored (which also has the advantage that it handicaps me slightly too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rodgers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 5 and 9 year old and here are some of our favorites:

- No Thanks!
- Forbidden Desert <-- much better than F.I.
- King of Tokyo
- Zombie Dice <-- other themes available (e.g. dinos, aliens)
- Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
- Catan: Junior

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kthaeh wrote:

7 Wonders

Very successful last year with my 8yo son, and his 10yo & 7yo cousins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others who said that theme will be important.

My 6 year old will play anything but the 10 year old needs to be enticed to play, whether through theme or some other mechanic. Telestrations was a big hit with him. In our FLGS, he's also been really interested in Loony Quest and The Magic Labyrinth.

A Minecraft card game has just been released. The reviews suggest it's actually ok, so may be something to interest him if he likes Minecraft (and what 8 year old doesn't like Minecraft)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sushi go. smash up. Bamdits. Tsuro

All of these are really good for kids wand adults. I work with kids and these are the games i play with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |