Subject: Crew discard and when to reshuffle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
Hello,

I've read the rule book cover to cover and I can't find this addressed.

When dealing out crew cards for a new adventure, do you shuffle the discarded crew cards back into the deck?

Adventure setup states that you "shuffle the crew cards" but makes no explicit mention of the discard pile.

If you leave the discard pile as is, then when you inevitably run out of crew cards, presumably you can then reshuffle them into a new crew card pile. This presents an issue to me, however.

As an example, if you have a two-player game, and there are three crew cards remaining. You know full well which cards have already been played in previous adventures, so know which cards are left. One player gets two, the other one, then you reshuffle the discard pile and hand out the rest. In this situation you now know three of the cards in players hands and in this case, one player is at a bigger disadvantage with two cards known.

Only way I can see to alleviate this is that you count the crew cards available and if it's not enough to deal out to every player then you combine and shuffle with the discard pile first, before dealing.

Either way, it seems that this would affect the game quite significantly, so any idea which way it's meant to be done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Grey Fox Games fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: 'It Can't Rain All The Time'
cinos wrote:
Hello,

I've read the rule book cover to cover and I can't find this addressed.

When dealing out crew cards for a new adventure, do you shuffle the discarded crew cards back into the deck?

Adventure setup states that you "shuffle the crew cards" but makes no explicit mention of the discard pile.

If you leave the discard pile as is, then when you inevitably run out of crew cards, presumably you can then reshuffle them into a new crew card pile. This presents an issue to me, however.

As an example, if you have a two-player game, and there are three crew cards remaining. You know full well which cards have already been played in previous adventures, so know which cards are left. One player gets two, the other one, then you reshuffle the discard pile and hand out the rest. In this situation you now know three of the cards in players hands and in this case, one player is at a bigger disadvantage with two cards known.

Only way I can see to alleviate this is that you count the crew cards available and if it's not enough to deal out to every player then you combine and shuffle with the discard pile first, before dealing.

Either way, it seems that this would affect the game quite significantly, so any idea which way it's meant to be done?
Every time you shuffle the crew cards during the Adventure Setup you shuffle all of the crew cards together, including the discard pile and any cards left in player's hands after the previous adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
Thank you for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls