Subject: "Double city" question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew M
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm not sure I'm doing the 'double city' part of this game correctly. Specifically, I'm wondering what the intent of having these was? Because my experience thus far is that someone buys the two New York 10 spots right off the bat. Mexico is also a quick target, but it's less desirable due to location.

But New York! You get two cities with no connection cost, right in a nice, busy, cheap connection spot. Seems like a big advantage, especially early when 5 extra elektro make a big difference.

So why design it this way? Or am I missing something (always a distinct possibility).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
oneilljgf wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I think you are limited to buying only ONE 10-spot in any location.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

If by "location" you mean a row of 3 building slots (10/15/20), then yes.

If by "location" you mean "New York" (which consists of multiple such locations with 0 connection cost between them), then no.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18412778#18412778

Each 10/15/20 city graphic is an independent city rule-wise, even if 2 of them have 0 connection cost and share the same name like New York. (Same as in normal/original Power Grid.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Like many parts of this game, the 0-cost connections are something the players need to balance; place and build to apply pressure to the player that takes them.

There are plenty more considerations around this sort of thing, but it sounds like you just need to play a bit more, to figure them out on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew M
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
fnord23 wrote:
Like many parts of this game, the 0-cost connections are something the players need to balance; place and build to apply pressure to the player that takes them.

There are plenty more considerations around this sort of thing, but it sounds like you just need to play a bit more, to figure them out on your own.
Ok. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls