Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: When I spend money, I think about how many games I could have purchased rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I noticed that when I spend money I think about how many games I could have purchased. For instance, yesterday I bought about $75 worth of comic books. When I got home, I thought, "I could have bought 2 or 3 games with that money." But I never compare my purchases to anything else, just games. I never think, "I could have bought shirts with that money," or "I could have taken my wife to a restaurant with that money." I think I've created some sort of game-based money exchange system in my mind. Please don't tell anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Peridot: August birthstoneMicrobadge: Green Christian - we're all the stewards of EarthMicrobadge: I love books!Microbadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: Dog lover
You have reached a higher plain than most humans. Nirvana may be next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to think that way...

I guess I've fallen from that higher plain.

Now, it's about how much food I could eat with it...

...and maybe computer games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I often think that way. Especially when spending money on ephermerals (restaurants, movie theaters, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Actually, I would think crawling around looking for someone's eye would be a pretty fun game in its own right.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Gamer Family
I've actually thought that would be a good marketing tool for a game shop: Talk about how much it costs for a family to go to a movie -- which lasts a couple of hours -- then show that the same amount could have bought a nice game for the family to enjoy over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to but not anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WingMicrobadge: Are you lookin' at me?!Microbadge: Southern New England WargamersMicrobadge: Er... not completely!Microbadge: Wing
I went out to dinner the other day with the wife. The bill came to about $85 with tip. As we were walking out I thought to myself man I could have bought a couple of games for that, or expanded my SCS collection by one OOP title.

That $85 bought me about 1 hour of entertainment. Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege cost me about $33 I've played it over sessions for about 20 hours so that's about $1.65/hour of entertainment so far. Much better value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer the standard guitar unit. About 2000 USD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
THAT'S the standard guitar unit??? That's a pretty good guitar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
I used to, but found it better to switch the phrasing just a bit. More useful, less terrifying, allows other experiences to measure up in a way they otherwise wouldn't...

Basically, just, "how much fun could I get for this money?"

So, yeah, sometimes that IS pure boardgame count... On the other hand, I fully realize a disturbing portion of the games I own or have played, I have done so exactly *once*.

So... is spending $80 on a boardgame with one play by myself *not* worth less than spending $80 on a dinner with several friends, of equal length to the only play I'd bother to do with the game?

(It's not a big change in the same concept, but the slight tweak to it *is* kinda useful. After all, it's not the having or accumulating of STUFF that makes life worth living, it's the experiences you have. And while I absolutely believe boardgames are a FANTASTIC way to have easy, amazing, and low-cost experiences... it's not the having, but the doing, that makes them worthwhile. And looking at it that way does allow a lot of other things to compete in the same space...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
AvidHunter wrote:
I went out to dinner the other day with the wife. The bill came to about $85 with tip. As we were walking out I thought to myself man I could have bought a couple of games for that, or expanded my SCS collection by one OOP title.

That $85 bought me about 1 hour of entertainment. Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege cost me about $33 I've played it over sessions for about 20 hours so that's about $1.65/hour of entertainment so far. Much better value.
and you managed to avoid your wife for those 20 hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WingMicrobadge: Are you lookin' at me?!Microbadge: Southern New England WargamersMicrobadge: Er... not completely!Microbadge: Wing
Jon_1066 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

and you managed to avoid your wife for those 20 hours!
Huh your right I didn't even think of that. That's gotta increase the value per hour by a couple bucks at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
darthain wrote:
THAT'S the standard guitar unit??? That's a pretty good guitar.
It is a good guitar. I'm partial to Music Man, though most of them are a bit north of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls