Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am organizing a game of Mega Civilization in Portland, Oregon, and one of the potential players has asked me about the amount of wait time for players in large games. Does anyone have any insight into this? How much of the game is simultaneous vs. sequential?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenme wrote:
I am organizing a game of Mega Civilization in Portland, Oregon, and one of the potential players has asked me about the amount of wait time for players in large games. Does anyone have any insight into this? How much of the game is simultaneous vs. sequential?
Based only on reading the rules, it plays a lot like splotter games. Most things are done simultaneously in the game except when a player wants to enforce turn order due to potential conflict with another player. So not much down time until there is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my experience with Civ, ACiv and Civ Project, I'd say that downtime is almost non-existent. The complete game however takes a long time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerart de Haan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Obviously there is quite a bit of downtime when you add up all the small pieces over the course of the full game. However, rather than being a nuisance these tend to provide excellent opportunities for counting tokens and credits, working out strategies, planning future purchases, practising diplomacy with neigbouring civilizations, getting drinks, toilet breaks, and, last but not least, making the bad jokes that are inevitably part of putting a bunch of geeks together in order to play games like these...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerart de Haan wrote:
[...]and, last but not least, making the bad jokes that are inevitably part of putting a bunch of geeks together in order to play games like these...
Thanks for that one!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torbjörn Rander
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played MegaCiv for the first time, with a mix of seasoned Civ/ACiv players and newbies. I would say that downtime was pretty much the same as in the earlier games, and that what took the longest was that people were enforcing move order almost all the time. When playing ACiv, we usually house rule a 5 minute time limit on movement per player, this was exceeded many times during the current session. It helps that there are always things to get involved in during down time though, such as thinking ahead on what tech you want to buy, how you want to trade etc., so that it seldomly feels bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Rukus wrote:
Gerart de Haan wrote:
[...]and, last but not least, making the bad jokes that are inevitably part of putting a bunch of geeks together in order to play games like these...
Thanks for that one!
Topic Closed



As for enforcing move order this is somewhat understandable as the outcome of a battle is 100% predictable so it does matter a lot if your neighbor places 3 or 4 extra troops on top of his city for example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobnob wrote:
We just played MegaCiv for the first time, with a mix of seasoned Civ/ACiv players and newbies. I would say that downtime was pretty much the same as in the earlier games, and that what took the longest was that people were enforcing move order almost all the time. When playing ACiv, we usually house rule a 5 minute time limit on movement per player, this was exceeded many times during the current session. It helps that there are always things to get involved in during down time though, such as thinking ahead on what tech you want to buy, how you want to trade etc., so that it seldomly feels bad.
It depends on how you regard the movement order.
We encourage all players to move simultaneously, and only wait for their turn at specific areas.
A gamemaster that keeps track of movement order really helps. Otherwise, some players tend to wait and wait, even if they could already start moving their tokens. This would lead to people waiting on each other where they don't have to.

it really depends on the type of players. You could add a house-rule for slow players. If more than X players raise their hand, their time is up.

My movement never takes more than 1 minute. You can ask anyone who has ever played with me. But I know people that tend to take 10 minutes for calculations. This really adds up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Flodehaan wrote:
But I know people that tend to take 10 minutes for calculations. This really adds up.
Yeah I recognize that kind of people. Every playgroup usually has at least one of those.
It's called "Analysis Paralysis", trying to find the optimal move in every way.

Eurogames, which usually don't have any random factor, actually suffer more from this as those people know they should be able to predict every single outcome.
Asking them to start thinking about their move before it is their turn to act is also often useless, because of that one little thing someone else moved on the other side of the board somehow made their whole prepared move invalid and they need to rethink it all over..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh
ThierryV wrote:
Flodehaan wrote:
But I know people that tend to take 10 minutes for calculations. This really adds up.
Yeah I recognize that kind of people. Every playgroup usually has at least one of those.
It's called "Analysis Paralysis", trying to find the optimal move in every way.

Eurogames, which usually don't have any random factor, actually suffer more from this as those people know they should be able to predict every single outcome.
Asking them to start thinking about their move before it is their turn to act is also often useless, because of that one little thing someone else moved on the other side of the board somehow made their whole prepared move invalid and they need to rethink it all over..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel NL
msg tools
In the game I played there was no waiting time for me that I can remember. I caused some waiting myself when optimising the purchase of several civ advances at the same time - even with the bonus chits it is still a lot of calculation when you can buy many at the same time. But that was only once, and in the beginning. When you have more or less 'chosen' your main colours, it becomes easier..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I maintain that waiting time is very low since most everything can be done simultaneously.

In the experience of others, what would you say the waiting time consists of?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hupin
Canada
Hudson
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hello Axel,
This is exactly where my group of penny-pinchers is hurting: we spend too much time optimising our purchases. But, this would tend to happen all over, everytime we score big money-wise. It is possible that we should be more "colour-conscious", but we are looking at ways to simplify purchases. Chits are an improvement over the Excel spreadsheet, but can still be a drag. Were you to ever find a workable alternative, please let us know.
Regards,
Éric
AxelNL wrote:
In the game I played there was no waiting time for me that I can remember. I caused some waiting myself when optimising the purchase of several civ advances at the same time - even with the bonus chits it is still a lot of calculation when you can buy many at the same time. But that was only once, and in the beginning. When you have more or less 'chosen' your main colours, it becomes easier..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls