Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: misleading_thread_title [+] RSP_guns [+] [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Some of you may enjoy this

The rest of you, this is a reminder to keep a loaded musket by your office desk at all times, just in case you need to defend yourself. It's what the founder fathers would have wanted. Also, reminder: volunteer state militia drill on the village green, every Sat. 8 am sharp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gun control commercial
LOL, it is an interesting point, but I suspect the argument will go.

The nature of the enemy we need to resit has changed (which is why you need ATGW's).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting that they copped out on the shot killing the guy.

And that the shooter was a balding, middle aged white man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eh, just appeal to emotion and ignorance. Our gun laws have changed pretty significantly in the past hundred years, and certainly not in a less restrictive way.

I wonder how this would go over in other areas. Like maybe just some bully in a gym class making fun of one kid in black & white, and then it cuts to 4chan where people are publicly embarrassing a kid so badly they commit suicide. "Speech has changed. Shouldn't our speech laws?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Eh, just appeal to emotion and ignorance. Our gun laws have changed pretty significantly in the past hundred years, and certainly not in a less restrictive way.

I wonder how this would go over in other areas. Like maybe just some bully in a gym class making fun of one kid in black & white, and then it cuts to 4chan where people are publicly embarrassing a kid so badly they commit suicide. "Speech has changed. Shouldn't our speech laws?"
I almost agree, as with the second amendment the first was written in a different time, when things like opro0nigraohy were not seen as free speech, and where there was (in effect)one religion in the USA.

The point of the advert is that semiautomatic weapons have changed the way we kill., and this level of firepower was not envisaged when the constitution was written (OR MAYBE IT WAS, AND THE PART ABOUT MILITIAS BEING PROPERLY CONSTITUTED HAS BEEN IGNORED).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
maxo-texas wrote:
Non-rifled musket fired by an amateur?

It's really not much of a cop-out, even at that range. There is a reason nobody every bothered fitting those guns with sights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
If someone at the office would have been packing they could have shot his ass. So I agree, gun laws should change - we should make everyone carry a gun.
We tried that at my office but when I saw one of my co workers motion toward her sidearm during a "last doughnut" dispute I ended up having to self defense the whole damn place down.

Since then we just carry knives. Less misunderstandings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Non-rifled musket fired by an amateur?

It's really not much of a cop-out, even at that range. There is a reason nobody every bothered fitting those guns with sights.
Well, no one said he was an amateur, in the commercial the gun was pointed straight at the guy, and effective range of a musket is in yards, not feet.

but reasonable people can disagree on unreasonable things.

Thought of another one-- the guy he shot at is another white male.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good Times
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Guns have changed.

So has speech.

So let's shut down the internet lest somebody hack the nuclear launch codes & post it herein....Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good Times
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Mr.Slater, the part about militias hasn't been ignored. It was simply deemed that they're tangential to the point of the operative clause (i.e., "the people").

A well nourished population, being necessary to the health of the state, the right of the people to keep & sail fishing boats shall not be infringed.

Does anyone see a collective right to fishing boats in the above? Or an individual one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
If someone at the office would have been packing they could have shot his ass. So I agree, gun laws should change - we should make everyone carry a gun.
We tried that at my office but when I saw one of my co workers motion toward her sidearm during a "last doughnut" dispute I ended up having to self defense the whole damn place down.

Also useful since the office moved from donuts to bagels thanks to that incident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
maxo-texas wrote:
Why did the director want to tell the story in that way? Did they make a conscious decision, think to themselves, "OK, the main protagonist needs to be middle aged, balding, resentful at some unspecified unfairness, and oh yeah, it's gotta be a white guy"? I don't think so. I think they thought something along the lines of "I have this story about a nutjob traveling a path against harsh odds and poor marksmanship and ultimately becoming an anti-hero with a valuable message for us all," and they just defaulted to "white guy".

But there is literally nothing in the story of this commercial that requires the protagonist to be a balding, middle aged white man. The story could have been exactly the same if a young, body-positive, woman of color had the leading role. The director's vision didn't depend on a balding, middle aged white man protagonist, it defaulted to a balding, middle aged white man protagonist.

Does that make the commercial bad? No. Does it make the director a sexist racist misogynist upholder of oppression? No (though it may suggest some level of implicit/unconscious/socially conditioned horribleness). Does pointing it out publicly mean that there's a chance the next director will take a different, more conscious approach when developing their characters? Maybe, and that's the hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good Times
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
You're kidding, right, GaryGarison.

It was made by a leftist.

And leftism is a religion.

You could sooner expect the same commercial be made by a Catholic featuring Christ as the shooter.

I promise you: The odds the badguy would've been anything but a white, (presumably) heterosexual, (presumably) Christian, male are exactly zero.

WTF? Were you born yesterday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4GodsS8k wrote:
Guns have changed.

So has speech.

So let's shut down the internet lest somebody hack the nuclear launch codes & post it herein....Right?
Who is saying ban guns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4GodsS8k wrote:
Mr.Slater, the part about militias hasn't been ignored. It was simply deemed that they're tangential to the point of the operative clause (i.e., "the people").

A well nourished population, being necessary to the health of the state, the right of the people to keep & sail fishing boats shall not be infringed.

Does anyone see a collective right to fishing boats in the above? Or an individual one?
Well as it is not an equivalent declaration it alters the point of the text.

A well regulated fishing fleet, being necessary to the health of the state, the right of the people to keep & sail fishing boats shall not be infringed.

So does this mean you have to have a regulated fishing fleet and only if you belong to it can you own a boat?

Yes the second amendment does say (no matter how lawyers have altered it) that gun ownership ans being part of a well regulated militia are linked. Of course this is a major problem with your constitution, it is so baldy written and full of weaselly words that it can mean anything to any one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many workplace shootings are carried out by non white guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
How many non white guys have a workplace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
galad2003 wrote:
we should make everyone carry a gun.
If we ever get to this point, we have completely failed as a society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Also useful since the office moved from donuts to bagels thanks to that incident.
True, I kept getting cream cheese in the front sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Kids today don't have the patience for a muzzle loader. Of course it's an older guy. He was white because workplace "Postal" events are more likely to be white people and balding because he has too much testosterone, hence the aggression being used as a solution to problems. Men perform the wide majority of most violent crime. So, all in all, it was accurately riding the statistics.

Now, if you want to make a point about why wasn't this a group of gang bangers rolling up and shooting at people hanging out on a front porch and then stopping to reload, well I'd say that demographics suggest that the majority in America don't really care too much when poor people kill each other. It's only when safe, secure people with some financial security get shot up that it is a tragedy. Even poor people have gotten to the point that they only care when middle class people in uniforms come into their neighborhoods and shoot them. Poor on poor crime has become an expected fact of life unfortunately.

So if you want to play peoples fears, then go after what they are really scared about. Not some indirectly generated concern about people they don't care about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This look more like a pro gun ad. If someone in the office had a concealed carry permit, shit would probably have gone down a bit different.

Sort of like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
This look more like a pro gun ad. If someone in the office had a concealed carry permit, shit would probably have gone down a bit different.
Why did it need to be a CC? If you carried the gun Open Carry, wouldn't that had been even better because then you are an actual deterrent as well as a potential responder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
garygarison wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Why did the director want to tell the story in that way? Did they make a conscious decision, think to themselves, "OK, the main protagonist needs to be middle aged, balding, resentful at some unspecified unfairness, and oh yeah, it's gotta be a white guy"? I don't think so. I think they thought something along the lines of "I have this story about a nutjob traveling a path against harsh odds and poor marksmanship and ultimately becoming an anti-hero with a valuable message for us all," and they just defaulted to "white guy".

But there is literally nothing in the story of this commercial that requires the protagonist to be a balding, middle aged white man. The story could have been exactly the same if a young, body-positive, woman of color had the leading role. The director's vision didn't depend on a balding, middle aged white man protagonist, it defaulted to a balding, middle aged white man protagonist.

Does that make the commercial bad? No. Does it make the director a sexist racist misogynist upholder of oppression? No (though it may suggest some level of implicit/unconscious/socially conditioned horribleness). Does pointing it out publicly mean that there's a chance the next director will take a different, more conscious approach when developing their characters? Maybe, and that's the hope.
Well, there are a lot of balding white postal workers...

More seriously, a lot of mass shooters in the US tend to be white and male. So the choice is hardly surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deleted112516 wrote:

Well, there are a lot of balding white postal workers...

More seriously, a lot of mass shooters in the US tend to be white and male. So the choice is hardly surprising.
I already said this with a lot more words, which makes my post better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The ratio of black to white mass shooters is pretty consistent with the population percentages. There's not really a racial component to who decides to become a shooter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |