Subject: What BGG games will still be played in 100 years? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of "you can't" once and for all. --Vincent Van Gogh
Microbadge: Egizia fanMicrobadge: Go fanMicrobadge: CrossFitterMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Playing until death!
Curious what BGG games folks thing will still be being played in 100 years?

Definitely Go (not exactly a "BGG game" but ranked 74 here). Crokinole.

Tichu? Maybe -- and hope so! Haggis?

Dominion with its existing set of expansions? I think very possibly.

Which games do you think will still be around in 100 years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: German Board Game Championship fanMicrobadge: Proud member of the 12th Man | Go HAWKS!Microbadge: Rules TranslatorMicrobadge: Chemist
I think Catan will still be around, also Carcassonne and Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Chess, Go, Monopoly, Backgammon, etc. I like your optimism, but I think you vastly overestimate the staying power of the other titles you mention, and many like them.

I could maybe be talked into the raising the odds of things like Ticket or Catan to 10-20%, but wouldn't bet on those either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
It also depends somewhat on our threshold. Some family will be playing Catan, where the grandfather passed it down to the son, who fondly remembered it and taught it to his kids as well. Or similar stories. But in terms of widespread cultural acknowledgement even among hobbyists, even the Catans of the world need an order of magnitude more popularity to hope to last imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of "you can't" once and for all. --Vincent Van Gogh
Microbadge: Egizia fanMicrobadge: Go fanMicrobadge: CrossFitterMicrobadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Playing until death!
mawilson4 wrote:
Chess, Go, Monopoly, Backgammon, etc. I like your optimism, but I think you vastly overestimate the staying power of the other titles you mention, and many like them.

I could maybe be talked into the raising the odds of things like Ticket or Catan to 10-20%, but wouldn't bet on those either.
Yeah you are almost certainly right. I do wonder about Dominion though. Might it live on in a Magic: The Gathering style niche...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mawilson4 wrote:
It also depends somewhat on our threshold.
Yeah good question. Maybe a better way to ask it is, in 100 years, will more or fewer people be playing today's top BGG games? Which ones will have grown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Chess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NONE... there will be better games to replace them Without an exception. For example... in about 50 years someone will figure out how to make Dominion finally a fun game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game you can buy in the main street stores (Monopoly, Snakes and Ladders, Risk, etc.).

Other and more popular games are hardly seen in shops, thus do not gain recognition or fame or a larger fan base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly hasn't reached its 100-year anniversary (although it probably will), so making any sort of claim for a modern designer game is futile. Dominion and Catan certainly won't last. Even Magic: The Gathering is doubtful. D&D? Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly, it has a half life you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a great deal on whether they have invented affordable brain uploading before I die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Joel_L wrote:
Monopoly hasn't reached its 100-year anniversary (although it probably will), so making any sort of claim for a modern designer game is futile. Dominion and Catan certainly won't last. Even Magic: The Gathering is doubtful. D&D? Maybe.
I know some people who would argue D&D hasn't even survived until today (in any recognizable form worth playing.)

Not sayin' I agree; just sayin'.

To really answer this question, we probably need to draw a distinction between the brand name surviving 100 years and the actual game surviving 100 years. I feel like most RPGs evolve too quickly (for better or for worse) to even hope to qualify for the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Poker is a safe bet, and possibly Bridge as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
Joel_L wrote:
Magic is more popular than ever and has a built in system to keep going. I say Catan can stick around as it is modern gaming's Monopoly. Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne I can see sticking around. Outside of that, I'm not sure what else. Pandemic might win out since it is thee gateway co-op. Outside of Magic which is its own beast, all of those games have a classic feel to them and are simple enough to teach.

I would love to add Cosmic Encounter and El Grande, but I'm not sure I have high hopes. El Grande should be played 100 years later as it feels as much of a classic as anything I have played. I'm not sure how much a game gets reprinted when it is already doing so based on anniversary editions.

Puerto Rico and Power Grid have classic feels to them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome, since that's when the reprint will finally happen whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrCleanOr wrote:
NONE... there will be better games to replace them Without an exception. For example... in about 50 years someone will figure out how to make Dominion finally a fun game
They did, sort of. It's called Trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of all the games currently on BGG, the game that will still be played by the most people 100 years from now is Tic-Tac-Toe. I am willing to bet (though I won't be around to collect on the bet) that at least 90% of North Americans in a hundred years from now will have played tic tac toe at least once in their life. I don't know how common tic tac toe is in Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America. But every kid I know plays it at one point and I think that that will continue to be so in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Cribbage for sure. Probably any of the games already over 100 and still highly popular are a safe bet.

Catan may eventually get Monopoly like status. Dominion? Not a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
The Campaign for North Africa because, well, that's how long it takes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excluding classic abstract games (go,chess,checkers, backgammon) and card games (bridge, poker, cribbage) what are the games from 100 years ago that I still play.

Pit is the only one that I have played recently that I can think of.

From 50 years ago, over the past year I have played:
Stratego
Diplomacy
a Risk variant (risk legacy)
Formula-1
Rack-O
Yahtzee

That's about it.

I can't imagine many games from the present will still be popular in a 100 years. If any game has a chance, it will be the very simple games. Maybe something like The Resistance: Avalon or Dixit. Maybe some variant of Diplomacy. If boardgames become popular then some of the Hasbro classics (like Carcassonne or Catan). I assume that if playing games becomes mainstream then Hasbro will take over famous Eurogame titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
The Campaign for North Africa because, well, that's how long it takes to play.
So true !

The game would have to be started this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 years is a really long time.

I'm willing to bet that plenty of modern "gateway" games will still be around 60 years from now, as will at least one or two of the heavier BGG faves. Maybe Through The Ages or Agricola? Who knows. But plenty of people still watch movies from 60 years ago, and by 2075 there will be some kind of home-print or POD for toys and games, so even if only 1000 people in the world want to play Agricola, those 1000 people will all be able to get a copy and communicate with each other.

But 100 years? Who knows. We're still a generation or two away from the people whose preferences will shape what people want to play 100 years from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |