Subject: Are Monster, Troll and Draugr cards public information? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you" ― Friedrich Nietzsche
badge
“We are a way for the universe to know itself.” ― Carl Sagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Monster, Troll and Draugr cards public information?

I ask because it may be important for players to know before taking their actions. There are two specific instances that I can think of, in which knowing this information ahead of time may prove useful:

1) If you are heading towards the completion of a specific Destiny card and you need to compare yourself in relation to other players.
Example: There are certain Destiny cards that give points if you are the player with the most cards of a certain color at the end of the game, hence it would be useful to know if another player has more cards than me.

2) In order to deprive other players from being able to grab a card from a specific color so that they do not score the 5 bonus points for completing a color set (red+yellow+blue).

As far as I know the rule book only mentions that Destiny cards are meant to be secret, and that rune cards should always be placed in front of players (active or flipped), but it does not state anything regarding the rest of the cards.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Mendoza
United States
Minneola
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In the games that I've played the types of cards collected were secret. It makes you more observant to what monsters each player is fighting for. If I see my opponent get a destiny card and suddenly starts attacking the Troll more often, maybe I should too .

Personally, seeing every player's kill count/type would cause me unnecessary thought, when I would rather go with my awareness and intuition.

All this to say...the rules don't specify, so go with what makes it fun for you and your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemy cards should be placed in a face down stack in your play area when you defeat them. Our hope is that this reduces downtime by not overwhelming the players with this data.

It would make going for (and foiling) destiny goals easier if they are revealed, and should your group prefer to play that way, by all means do so. But the official rules are, hide them once they have been defeated - I will make sure this is made clear in future editions of the rulebook.

Thanks for playing!

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crawford
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
While defeated creatures were designed to be private information, does that also apply to Epic Monsters found in the Valhalla expansion? Or the Valkyrie Blessings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls