Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BoardGameDoctor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a new copy of Forbidden Desert at a local Half Price Bookstore for $10 (50% coupon is in effect today)...

I have read posts that it's not worth getting Desert if you already have Island (we already own Island in our collection)...

I already bought it as a Christmas present for the kids and I do plan to keep it in our growing collection.. However, I am curious if people think if you own one- it's not worth to get the other.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damion Pisacane
United States
Belchertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Really, I do!
badge
Ready Player Two?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is absolutely worth having both games. While they do share some similarities in terms of mechanics, Forbidden Desert succeeds particularly because it DOES distinguish itself from Forbidden Island.

Also, You will find that Forbidden Desert is a bit more difficult than Forbidden Island, so it is a great place to move on to after the family has fully mastered Forbidden Island.

I would recommend any fan of cooperative tabletop games to have both in his collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like Island a lot better than Desert. I bought Desert, but never play it, so in my opinion, no, it's not worth owning both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Island and I liked it for how simple it was. Then I got Desert and Pandemic and gave Island away.

Island was a bit too close to Pandemic and Desert was different enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like the King of Tokyo , King of New York debate ! At THAT price, why not treat yourself to Forbidden desert .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask in this thread or in Geek Mail and you'll be given 30GG for an Avatar.
badge
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Forbidden Island and played Forbidden Desert. I like the elegance of Island, and thought Desert was too much for what it is.

Get Island, play it with your kids and be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's worth to own both games. They are too much alike to own both. Play forbidden island a lot and maybe you can trade it in the future for forbidden dessert. Instead of buying forbidden dessert, spend the money on another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and thought Forbidden Desert was more interesting. I think it would hold up for more plays over time. I didn't like either of them enough to rush out and buy one, but if I had to choose, I'd take Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not very similar at all. Definitely worth owning both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
The Great Zippy Star
badge
Darkness Without
mbmbmbmbmb
They scratched the same itch for me.

I guess you can get both see which you like more sell the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island really shines when you use the fan made island variants. It increases difficulty and excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is completely worth getting both. Highly recommend getting both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Stephens
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally we found Island to simple and easy, I received Desert in trade, and immediately traded Island. For young children Island is probably better, but in my opinion Desert is the much more interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already had Desert I'd say don't bother with Island, but Desert is an upgrade IMO, and they are different enough you could enjoy both if you like the kind of game they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Both are good, and I've played them about equally with my family. Desert has more interesting mechanics, Island is more attractive. If you are ready for the next level, check out Burgle Bros. Different designer, but the mechanics feel similar to those Matt Leacock games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mb
Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dunn
Australia
Corinda
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts are you need neither of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad to have both myself... they have nice components, don't take up too much space, play fairly quickly and are relatively inexpensive, I can't see any reason not to have both unless you are really limiting your collection or just don't enjoy those types of games, to me they both play very differently.

Hmmm, I guess if I didn't have a family I might not have both because they aren't the sort of games I pull out when I have guests over or even for a game night or even to carry with me places, but with the kids at home we are frequently pulling out one or the other of these and sometimes one after the other and definitely appreciate the unique features each one offers. We've actually played FI a lot more since we've purchased FD and I know we wouldn't have played FD as much if we didn't have FI... actually having both has more than doubled the fun we would've gotten out of each individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristina K
msg tools
I don't think Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island are too similar to have both. They don't really feel that similar when you are playing them. I think you and the family could enjoy both, and for ten bucks, you really can't go wrong.

Not your question, but I do think Forbidden Island and Pandemic were way too similar to have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameDoctor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
appreciate all the perspectives- thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have kids so both would be fine in your collection. It's great to get your kids (and family) loving coop games, so the more the merrier!

No kids in our house - we briefly had both but got rid of Island as we thought Desert the more interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls