Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't be a bad thing surely?

There were aspects of the PC game that were fantastic and some other aspects not so great. Overall though it had some solid strategic gaming ideas that with the Death Star implemented excellently. Rebellion seems very similar in scope and potentially in approach. I have Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition Risk which is very similar in scope but unfortunately still relies on the old Risk style of combat (although with some clever addition which really distinguishes this version of Risk over most others).

A long awaited grand level strategic Star Wars game that seems like my dream analogue conversion from the PC game. Do you think I should be excited?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is on of the PC games, my guess would be the game that shares it's name: Star Wars: Rebellion. The leaders make it feel like it's more related to that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerGoble1 wrote:
If it is on of the PC games, my guess would be the game that shares it's name: Star Wars: Rebellion. The leaders make it feel like it's more related to that game.

Yeah the leaders really made me think about the PC game. Be interesting to find out if there is a Mon Mothma capture insta win condition for the Empire. That would be slightly awesome. Although I see 2 Death Stars so maybe destroying the DS isn't. But having the ROTJ DS is pretty sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get excited!

Good to hear there's another fan of Star Wars Empire at War (PC) out there..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The significance difference is planet loyalty and special missions... something I don't recall being a part of Empire at War. Characters could go on only one kind of mission depending on who you are, but in Rebellion you could assign them to a list of missions, and their statistics will say how well they do on those assignments.

I enjoyed Rebellion, though I think the computer game took too long with whatever it was doing. Going slow enough to track everything meant your ships didn't build quickly and your troops took forever to get into position. But going fast enough for all that to happen meant you couldn't keep up with the reports that kept piling up.

Obviously as a board game all of this is cut down, but I think I like the spirit of Rebellion more than the Spirit of Empire at War. I'd rather focus on an empire builder, than a hybird space/ground game with a tacked on campaign engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
The significance difference is planet loyalty and special missions... something I don't recall being a part of Empire at War. Characters could go on only one kind of mission depending on who you are, but in Rebellion you could assign them to a list of missions, and their statistics will say how well they do on those assignments.

I enjoyed Rebellion, though I think the computer game took too long with whatever it was doing. Going slow enough to track everything meant your ships didn't build quickly and your troops took forever to get into position. But going fast enough for all that to happen meant you couldn't keep up with the reports that kept piling up.

Obviously as a board game all of this is cut down, but I think I like the spirit of Rebellion more than the Spirit of Empire at War. I'd rather focus on an empire builder, than a hybird space/ground game with a tacked on campaign engine.

Well until I play Rebellion it's hard to say exactly hat the 'spirit' will feel like. There are going to be significant differences between an old PC game and the new Rebellion but I am excited by the prospect of some end game mechanics coming through. I loved the space battles in SW:EAW and of course there is no way to replicate that in Rebellion. Basically I am hoping for a hybrid between ideas in SW:EAW and the Trilogy Risk game. You seem dismissive of SW:EAW but it was far more than your making out. It had fantastic multiplayer tension and although I found ground battles lacking (so would auto them) the strategic flavour come through without being bogged down in never ending turn based stodginess. The real time element really put the pressure on. It was by no means perfect however, just hoping a few ideas might have percolated through to Rebellion as I would be pretty certain the designers would have played SW:EAW and Risk Trilogy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
The idea of Rebellion PC game was excellent, and I always though that a board game would handle things much better.

I always thought starwars: rebellion was one of the best 4X ever. Sadly, it does not run anymore on new computer systems and graphics are really really outdated. I dream of a new computer version of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
Sadly, it does not run anymore on new computer systems and graphics are really really outdated. I dream of a new computer version of this game.

Check this out if you are interested. I think its supposed to work on modern computers as well.

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While both games filled the 4x genre, they were considerably different.

Rebellion was all about the individual characters. Sure, you had fleets and fleet combat, but it was pretty simplistic, and pretty much lacked any strategy. Ground combat was decided via RNG with no actual gameplay. The planet development was minimal. The real action was in controlling the small army of special characters. Sending them on missions, recruiting new characters, researching new tech, sabotaging defenses, capturing, killing, and rescuing characters.

It was interesting in how it made it feel sort of cinematic. You were playing the characters. Sending them on crucial missions, watching them get more powerful over time....oh yeah, and there's this galactic conflict going on in the background.

EAW was more of combat based 4x. You controlled the space combat, and there was considerably more depth to it. You also controlled ground combat in an RTS format. The ground combat was hardly thrilling. Honestly the space combat wasn't either.

Its why I return to Rebellion way more often than EAW (in fact I've never gone back to EAW). EAW had nothing unique in the way of 4x's, and the RTS elements were pretty shallow. While, Rebellion wasn't a great 4x by any means, the character element of it was pretty interesting and unique.

This boardgame looks to have nothing in common with EAW though. It looks to be squarely rooted in the Rebellion game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire at War didn't do for me what computer Rebellion did, at least in terms of maintaining a sprawling space empire (I nearly always played Empire in Computer Rebellion). While space combat was nice, it could be annoying (F'kning Ion cannons always disabling my Star Destroyers).

Ground combat was also always "linear corridor battles" like we saw in Galactic battlegrounds and other similar RTSes. Had it been something like the Wargame or total war series it would have been more interesting.

And ultimately Empire at War tried to do too many things, so it couldn't focus on one thing to make it excellent. Space and Ground combat had similar rules, but there was enough invested in the campaign that you couldn't call it a tactical RTS and empire builder. It did all of those things, but not well.

Meanwhile computer rebellion foused very much on the empire management side of things, with no ground combat and a functional space tactical game (that was almost always this ship fire at that target). Character special missions and planetary alignment/diplomacy was the driving mechanic of computer Rebellion, which seems to be the case here.

So I still think similarities between board Rebellion and EaW are superficial. You have planets you're fighting over, but you're not having mini-boards for individual unit classes to duke it out on terrain, nor are you really maintaining sprawling and complex bases on planets. Looks like it's just turret and shields for the rebels, and the Empire have to garrison their planets to be "bases".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Jentoft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Check this out if you are interested. I think its supposed to work on modern computers as well.

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion

Yes, this is true - it does run on modern computers!
Very excited to be able to play SW Rebellion again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.