Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[Reproduced from the 2010 Paizo edition Failure cards.]

1) Aboard the ship were four couples: the Andersons, the Browns, the Carvers and the Dawsons.

2) The husbands' names, in no particular order, were Frank, Gary, Henry and Isaac.

3) The wives' names, in no particular order, were Selma, Thelma, Ursula and Victoria.

4) At 1:15 AM on the fateful day, Frank was jolted awake by the Browns, arrived home drunk to their stateroom.

5) At 4:15 AM, Thelma had a secret rendezvouz with Mr. Dawson in his stateroom. Her husband, in his bed three decks above, never met the man.

6) At 8;17 AM, over breakfast in the dining room, Isaac informed his wife that he was not on speaking terms with the Carvers.

7) At 9:25 PM, Henry and Frank joined the Andersons in the observation lounge for a friendly game of bridge.

8) At 11:40 PM, three women heard a terrible scraping sound from their neighboring staterooms. They were Selma, Isaac's wife and Mrs. Carver.

9) At 12:15 AM on the morning after the accident, Ursula and Mrs. Dawson were the last to board lifeboat number five.

10) At 2:24 AM, as the stern slipped affortlessly into the icy sea, Victoria's husband remarked aloud that he had no patience for games of cards.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cerulean wrote:
I expect solutions were posted back then, but here's mine.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The key, as always, is tabletop gaming. At 9:25 PM, Henry and Frank joined the Andersons in the observation lounge for a friendly game of bridge, so the three men in the game were acquainted; however, Thelma's husband never met Mr. Dawson, so either Thelma's husband was the missing man, or Mr. Dawson was. We also know that Victoria's husband was the missing man, as he did not play cards, which means Mr. Dawson was the missing man.

We also know that Frank was neither Mr. Brown (who woke him up at 1:15 AM) nor Mr. Anderson (who played cards with him at 9:25 PM) nor Mr. Dawson (who did not play cards), meaning Frank must be Mr. Carver.

Henry is neither Mr. Anderson (who played cards with him at 9:25 PM), nor Mr. Carver (that's Frank), nor Mr. Dawson (who did not play cards), so he must be Mr. Brown.

Because Isaac was not on speaking terms with the Carvers, he could not have been in the card game with Frank Carver at 9:25 PM, which means Isaac is Mr. Dawson, the missing man. This leaves Gary as Mr. Anderson.

We also know that three of the couples had neighboring staterooms, and that those couples included either the Dawsons or Thelma (who met Mr. Dawson in his stateroom, three decks below her own). As Isaac Dawson's wife Victoria was one of the three neighboring women who heard terrible scraping sounds at 11:40 PM, Thelma's must be the lone stateroom. This means Thelma is neither Mrs. Carver (who was one of the neighbors), nor is she Mrs. Brown (who woke her neighbor Frank Carver at 1:15 AM), so she must be married to Gary Anderson.

Selma can't be Mrs. Anderson (that's Thelma), nor Mrs. Dawson (that's Victoria), nor Mrs. Carver (that's one of her neighbors), so she must be Mrs. Brown. The only woman that leaves is Ursula, who must be Mrs. Carver.

So:
Gary and Thelma Anderson
Henry and Selma Brown
Frank and Ursula Carver
Isaac and Virginia Dawson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
cerulean wrote:
I expect solutions were posted back then, but here's mine.

The key, as always, is tabletop gaming. At 9:25 PM, Henry and Frank joined the Andersons in the observation lounge for a friendly game of bridge, so the three men in the game were acquainted; however, Thelma's husband never met Mr. Dawson, so either Thelma's husband was the missing man, or Mr. Dawson was. We also know that Victoria's husband was the missing man, as he did not play cards, which means Mr. Dawson was the missing man.

We also know that Frank was neither Mr. Brown (who woke him up at 1:15 AM) nor Mr. Anderson (who played cards with him at 9:25 PM) nor Mr. Dawson (who did not play cards), meaning Frank must be Mr. Carver.

Henry is neither Mr. Anderson (who played cards with him at 9:25 PM), nor Mr. Carver (that's Frank), nor Mr. Dawson (who did not play cards), so he must be Mr. Brown.

Because Isaac was not on speaking terms with the Carvers, he could not have been in the card game with Frank Carver at 9:25 PM, which means Isaac is Mr. Dawson, the missing man. This leaves Gary as Mr. Anderson.

We also know that three of the couples had neighboring staterooms, and that those couples included either the Dawsons or Thelma (who met Mr. Dawson in his stateroom, three decks below her own). As Isaac Dawson's wife Victoria was one of the three neighboring women who heard terrible scraping sounds at 11:40 PM, Thelma's must be the lone stateroom. This means Thelma is neither Mrs. Carver (who was one of the neighbors), nor is she Mrs. Brown (who woke her neighbor Frank Carver at 1:15 AM), so she must be married to Gary Anderson.

Selma can't be Mrs. Anderson (that's Thelma), nor Mrs. Dawson (that's Victoria), nor Mrs. Carver (that's one of her neighbors), so she must be Mrs. Brown. The only woman that leaves is Ursula, who must be Mrs. Carver.

So:
Gary and Thelma Anderson
Henry and Selma Brown
Frank and Ursula Carver
Isaac and Virginia Dawson.

I came up with the same solution. The key was indeed the familiarity of the 3 card players. At some point I realized that both Anderson's were playing cards and had to take a slight leap and assume that Mrs. Anderson was not one of the three who heard the noise. Then it all collapsed.

You also have to assume that Victoria's husband's aversion to cards is a long held stance and not a result of an incident that occurred during the bridge game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reish Galuta wrote:
I came up with the same solution.
Phew!

Reish Galuta wrote:
You also have to assume that Victoria's husband's aversion to cards is a long held stance and not a result of an incident that occurred during the bridge game.
Yeah, there are some... dubious assumptions in there. I have, for example, been heard to remark that I have no patience for games of dice, typically around turn 3 of a 9-turn game of Eclipse, or when my expedition's radiators are fried by a solar flare in High Frontier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls