Subject: New Player - First few games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. Brand new player here. Usually I like wargames (soliataire ones) but love Lord of the Rings so splashed out on a purchase from the Geek Market and got myself the core set (actually 3 of them whcih I have a question about later), the Mirkwood cycle packs (all 6) and The Black Riders and The Road Darkens expansions (both of sthose are still sealed).

I decided to try all 4 sphere on their own against the first scenario to get a feel for how the game works. I understand most of the rules (watched quite a few Youtube videos) and any questions I have have generally already been asked by someone else so it is easy to find the answer here. That's one benefit of arriving late to the party Started with Tactics and promptly got my ass kicked with all my heroes dying before I got past the first stage. After 3 goes I manged to win the scenario, though I lost Thalin, which I was pretty pleased about as I have read that it is hard to win with the Tactics sphere.

Moved onto Leadership and what a difference some willpower (and Aragorn) makes. Breezed through this and won with only 38 threat. In fact it was so easy I decided to move straight onto Spirit and ended up getting my ass kicked again. Could quickly see that this deck on its own was not going to be very powerful. Now trying out Lore and finding this one to be a bit like Tactics, in that you can win if you get the right cards coming out at the right time. I quite like it though.

So I've tried all decks and managed to get through the first scenario with all of them apart from Spirit. While I might be able to move onto the next 2 scenarios with Leadership alone, I think I will get frustrated and I can already see the benefit of having various cards from all decks in one deck as some of the cards I have been playing have been very useful.I will only be playing solitaire (and probably one handed for now) so its time to go read up on some deck building strategy.

So all in all as a new player I am quite pleased with my purchase and I haven't even scratched the surface of the game yet. Got lots of AP's to try out and I'm especially looking forward to the Saga expansions. This brings me nicely onto my query about multiple core packs. Basically I have no idea why I need 3 of them. I only bought 3 as the seller was virtually giving away the extra sets in the sale and I figured I could sell at least one of them on later (as it is boxed). But before I do that can someone explain in simple terms, as I am new to deckbuilding LCG's, what the benefits of keeping all 3 decks are. Do I need them, should I keep 2 of them or am I better off with all 3?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
2 core sets is essential IMO as I like being able to play with 4 players (you need the extra tokens and threat counters).

All player decks can have up to three of each card in them. Every adventure path comes with 3 of each player card. The core set though only comes with one of certain cards (a couple of them amongst the best cards in the game). So if you want 3 of one of those cards in a deck you need three core sets.

If you're a completionist, you might want 3 core sets. If you don't care about that then one is fine too. I have 6 core sets, but I'm a little obsessed with this game and there's no need to go that far at all. Also some people on ebay sell the one of cards from the core set separately so you can go that route too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play with more players using 10-sided dice or paper. I haven't bothered with using the counters since day one. I use differently colored d6-es. The lack of 3 of everything is irritating, but not so much so that I'm going out to buy another core set. There's also no reason to go into making full 50 card decks until you've gotten enough APs or deluxe sets to really support it. I've had the game since the beginning, and I don't think there were really enough player cards to build a good full-size deck until mid-way through the first AP cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Hello all. Brand new player here.

Welcome! Here's some geek gold to pick up a Lord of the Rings microbadge, if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainMaverick wrote:
charek wrote:
You can play with more players using 10-sided dice or paper.

You could also play the game without even buying it by writing down all the card texts on various index cards.

Except using paper and dice to keep track of threat, damage, progress, etc. requires minimal effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game, Andrew. Glad you're having such a good go of it so far.

As Zeromage discussed, the Core set comes with either 1, 2 or 3 copies of each player card, and an official "tournament"* deck is 50 cards minimum, with up to 3 copies of each card in it allowed.

I think two Core Sets are useful since there are indeed useful cards of which there is only a single copy, but three might be unnecessary. I used to play with less than 50 cards in my deck to adjust the probabilities when I couldn't have 3 of a card I wanted. Since you already have 3 Cores, you might as well keep the third for now, but start playing with two and see how it goes.

Since you mentioned wanting to read up on deck building, you might go over to some of the blogs that have been created around the game. They all offer very useful and deep articles on decks, strategy and lore. Some links:

Tales from the Cards
Hall of Beorn
Master of Lore

* You might not play any tournaments or organized events, but you might as well stick to that rule since most players seem to, and it makes conversations about decks and strategies more straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
I decided to try all 4 sphere on their own against the first scenario to get a feel for how the game works. I understand most of the rules (watched quite a few Youtube videos) and any questions I have have generally already been asked by someone else so it is easy to find the answer here. That's one benefit of arriving late to the party Started with Tactics and promptly got my ass kicked with all my heroes dying before I got past the first stage.

I just got the game too and made the same decision. I watched the entire "Watch it Played" series and decided to start with Leadership deck though. I have the Lore deck tonight and then on to the others. I love it so far, a nice break between PACG sessions. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so here's the deal.

If you take a look at the card distribution in the core set, there are cards that come in 3 of, 2 of, and 1 of. The max number of a specific card (unless the card says Limit 1 per deck on it) is 3. To increase deck consistency, you can get 3 copies if you buy 3 cores.

However, if you look at those specific cards, they are usually unique, so if you have 3 in your deck (increasing the likelyhood that you would draw it), it also increases the likelyhood that after it is in play, it will end up being a dead draw sometimes.

So, 3 is NOT required, and in many cases for many people will be complete overkill. 2 is highly recommended, though, as it gives you 2 of the 1 of cards, and 4 of the 2 of cards.

The last thing to note is that IF you move to double handed play, having 3 cores may be ideal if you want to splash the same sphere in 2 different decks. However, in most cases, you might find playing 2 different decks of all 4 spheres more balanced....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have 3 core sets, it gives me the choice of including 3 of every card I want to play with, (should I need 3).

A good example is Unexpected Courage.

I might want to include three of those into a single deck, (or what is more likely, split three of that card between two hands, which is pretty essential if you want to beat Escape from Dol Guldur, the third scenario in the core set).

Having 3 core sets also gives you 12 Gandalfs, which if you ever want to play a 4 player agme means you have enough to provide each player with their allowed three copies of the Grey Wizard. Just remeber the earlier point that some of these powerful cards (such as Gandalf) are unique, and you can only have 1 card out in play at any one time.

I like the fact that i have at least 3 of every card in the core set to choose from, it gives me more choice when I want to build a kick-ass deck !

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thats really kind of you. Thanks As you can see I have purchased my first microbadge

elitusprime wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:
Hello all. Brand new player here.

Welcome! Here's some geek gold to pick up a Lord of the Rings microbadge, if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.