Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time doing a P500, so this may be an ignorant question. I realize it went to printing in September. Any idea when it will actually ship? I recently got a copy of Red Winter NIS and I'd like to open it. However, I'd also really like to have either RW or Operation Dauntless under the tree for my son for Christmas. Is there any way of knowing whether OD will ship in time for Christmas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer this with any certainty, but I would guess you'd have it well before Christmas. I think it's supposed to start shipping later this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
I can't answer this with any certainty, but I would guess you'd have it well before Christmas. I think it's supposed to start shipping later this month.
Great! Thanks so much for the quick response! Looking forward to trying Red Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Hakansson
Sweden
Vasteras
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for this game is pure agony! I fell in love with it just from reading the designer's notes and then I read the rule book from cover to cover at 3 in the morning. Looks absolutely awesome.

I love how armour, AT and infantry seem to interact. Far too often in tactical games, armour is treated like rolling bunkers with tons of speed but nowhere to go. AT guns, assaultguns or tanks operated over such distances and with such speed (or counter measures to speed, like a well camouflaged speedbumb unit of AT pieces) that they just become glorfied infantry support on the classical tactical scale. I think the scale of Dauntless and the GTS series, of course, is perfect for showing their capabilities as well as their indispensability at this point in history. Hopefully also their limitations.

Smashing through the lines and going deep into the logistical network of the enemy doesn't mean much if the infantry can't widen the gap, or if you can't find petrol to keep going. Or worse, running into AT without any recon backup to find the little rascals, who are either popping your beauties outright, like pinatas full of meat and bolts, or shredding off tracks and gunsights at such fervor you have to slog it, to get back home. The ultimate humiliation!

So looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armor is indeed very vulnerable to infantry in this game. The average infantry unit was equipped with PIAT, Panzerfaust, or Panzerschreck. In many cases, they're more effective than AT guns. The British 6-pounder AT guns, for example, can penetrate a max of about 110mm or armor with a perfect, close-range shot (think: firing on a German tank with an Armor rating of 11, in an Assault situation) and some of the German AFVs, like Tigers and Jagdpanthers, have Armor ratings that make them almost immune to these guns (Exceptions exist, like flank shots or sabot shells). Similarly, the German 75mm AT gun will have a hard time KO'ing the British AVRE assault tanks with frontal shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Hakansson
Sweden
Vasteras
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true. But it means you need to get close, so basically it protects infantry from tanks just driving straight through (or over) them as they could do in the earlier periods of the war.

It's an interesting period, for sure. The technology was doing such quantum leaps in so short time periods, that for someone getting out on the field, even with training and good equipment, there would have been a lot of doubt of how things would turn out. Anything could happen, and did. Just after WWI tanks and quick maneuvering turned out to be good defensive responses to overwhelming destructive capabilities, but at the end of WWII, it must have felt like things were heading in that direction again. Compared to at the beginning of the war, the amount of firepower just one man could have in his hands had gone off the charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Hakansson
Sweden
Vasteras
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyways, need. Game. Now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Voutilainen
Finland
Kuopio
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The latest update says shipping around the 10th of December!

I can't wait!

-Simo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where did you see that?

I was just reading the Monthly Update Newsletter and no mention of OD and they said many games have been delayed due to the high volume of orders from the sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Voutilainen
Finland
Kuopio
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its right there in the update, towards the end in the charging & shipping schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ahh! Thanks, I was reading this in Gmail, and it clipped a lot of the full message out.

Great news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Voutilainen
Finland
Kuopio
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well here we are. I already posted on CSW. Lets see if the shipping begins!

-Simo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. It's delayed another month. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Voutilainen
Finland
Kuopio
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Argh!

Would have liked this under the tree.

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry to go off topic, but Simo are you you buying direct from GMT?
Do you find it to be much more expensive than if you bought from a European OLGS?

GMT shipping rates are the deal breaker for me, especially as we have to pay 24% takes on them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the further delay, guys. I'm not sure what happened. Something involving the printers, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls