Burgle Bros.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement onto tiles, that require actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Hi. After my first play through I realized there was some ambiguity in the rules. The Dead Bolt and Motion Detector require extra actions. Moving is an action. Does a movement into a dead bolt spot cost 4 total actions?? Or does it just increase the cost of a move to 3 actions? Same with the motion detector.

If they aren't revealed I just assume you can flip it over and if you have enough actions left get to move onto the tile (or not trigger the alarm.

Unrelated question - If I enter upstairs into a room that triggers an alarm, does the guard, after he gets revealed, run towards the alarm destination automatically, skipping flipping the next card on the deck to find his destination? Mostly curious since I like to conserve the deck because his speed will increase when it empties and he is already interested in the alarm space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe what you say is correct....

1) Action Rooms - If you think about it like a movie...you have 4 actions, you reach for the door to move into the room to use an action. Rather than open the door you reveal (flip the tile) that there's a deadbolt on the door. Now, the deadbolt requires 3 actions to bypass. You can use the 3 actions left or not to do so.

To me it's pretty straight forward in that regard when you consider everything happening in sequence.

2) The rules state that an alarm changes the guard's destination, and that new patrol destination cards are only revealed when a guard reaches the current destination.

So yes, set alarms off as you want to make the guard run like a madman back and forth without flipping new cards.

However, remember that for every alarm token on the floor, the guard temporarily moves 1 step faster, moving to the nearest alarm first. So you can seriously hinder your actions if you have a guard of 4/5 racing through hallways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
My two cents.

If you attempt to move onto a hidden tile and reveal a deadbolt, the stop icon makes you go back to where you started. You then could use 3 actions to enter the deadbolt tile (4 total).

You could peek first for 1 action, revealing the deadbolt tile, and then spend your 3 to enter (4 total).

Once the deadbolt is revealed, it always takes 3 to enter the tile (unless someone is on it).

Similarly, if the Keypad tile is revealed by moving, it will use the stop icon to shove you back. You then spend actions to find the code.

In both cases the stop icons are "triggered" by revealing the tile when moving...essentially you try to enter by "normal movement" (one action) and are surprised when the door doesn't budge. After either tile is revealed, you either spend 3 to enter or punch the code, respectively.

Notice these are the only two tiles that "reset" you back onto the tile you're moving from.

I'm not sure if this is how Tim intended the game to play. But to me, the rules are pretty clear. Just how I see it.

JF - I think we're saying the same thing, I just wanted to throw in the stop icon explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
I guess what I mean is that a move is one action, then the deadbolt is 3 actions. Does it cost the move action, and 3 extra actions to enter? (even if revealed). What you are saying makes kind of sense, I just wanted clarity. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
BestCheckedIn wrote:
I guess what I mean is that a move is one action, then the deadbolt is 3 actions. Does it cost the move action, and 3 extra actions to enter? (even if revealed). What you are saying makes kind of sense, I just wanted clarity. Thanks!
Whoops. I must revise my opinion...

Very clear in the rulebook, actually. The Stop Icon prevents you from entering a room IF YOU DON'T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS. Which to me means that if you reveal a deadbolt through spending an action to move, you COULD spend a second and a third action and enter the room. The action you use to move onto an unrevealed tile that turns out to be a deadbolt, or anything else, is "in the queue" so to speak...it counts towards whatever number of actions that are needed to accomplish the task. So unlike what I said above, I now think if you move with one action and reveal a keypad, that action is used to roll one die to attempt to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Cool thanks. So it just modifies the cost of a move action would be the easiest way to look at it. For the deadbolt instead of one, it's 3. Makes sense. Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Barrage fanMicrobadge: Mombasa fan - book Microbadge: Alubari: A Nice Cup of Tea fanMicrobadge: Teotihuacan: City of GodsMicrobadge: Tzolk'in fan
I was hoping someone would stumble onto my question in this discussion but it didn't happen, so....

Do actions used while fiddling with a Deadbolt carry over across turns? Say I move 1 spaces right and then peek to my right (2nd action) and see a Deadbolt room. Can I spend my last two actions bashing at the door and then enter with my first action next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
Centerville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Fowers Games fanMicrobadge: Sabotage fanMicrobadge: Latter-day Saint
No - you have to have 3 actions on one turn to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls