Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Ninja Camp fanMicrobadge: Ninja Camp fanMicrobadge: K'uh NahMicrobadge: Ron Swanson fanMicrobadge: The Flash fan
My week has come to an end. Thanks again to Jeremy for nominating me! I had a great time and hope I made my fellow geeks proud. Now I pass the mantle on to a great geek Jon Enns!

Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think my first contact with Jon was through a picture of his, probably similar to this one:

The table drew me in, Jon built it I believe, the fun that I could see this man having with I assumed to be his daughter. As I interacted with Jon a little bit more and followed his postings here on the geek I learned that he had only daughters, played games with them as much as possible, and you could tell he loved and cared for his family. That is what I want to do when I grow up!

Then beyond that, I think the most interesting contributions of Jon's to the 'Geek is his Cost Per Play Geeklists he does. Talk about a lot of work! It really shows though what we in this hobby constantly talk about, how we get more bang for our buck than other hobbies like movies, golfing, etc.

So enough praising Jon, here is what he has to say in introducing himself!

Quote:
Thank you, Adam, for nominating me as geek of the week. I was shocked and honoured to be asked.

I have loved board games and card games as long as I can remember. Probably the very first memories are playing Snakes and Ladders with my Mom as a pre-schooler. Through my growing up years I played the old classics: Monopoly, Sorry, Chinese Checkers, etc. whenever I could. It was not often enough because there was a 6 year gap to my next sibling and I grew up on a farm without much chance to play with other kids.

As a young adult I learned Crib and Backgammon and managed to play those quite often. I also had opportunity from time to time to play Risk, Monopoly, Stock Ticker, and all kinds of card games. When I met my wife and we got married in 1984 we played games together and with friends.

The kids started coming and I started teaching them games. Uno was a favourite. By the time they reached 10 to 12 I was teaching them Shogun (now called Ikusa).

Through all the years I managed to grow my collection little by little but it was in 2004 when I discovered "German" games that I really got enthused. At that point I had nearly 100 games. Now I have over 300.

Most of my playing these past 11 years has been with family. My kids, nieces and nephews, my mother. A little over a year ago my last girl and biggest playing partner, Lindy, left home. My playing has now evolved to more game conventions and other outings. My wife does not play much so I do what I can.

I like Euros likely the most, but I will still play pretty much anything. It is such a joke around here that my oldest daughter made me a mug that says, 'Did someone say "Game??"'

ONe other highlight in my gaming I would like to mention is 24 Hours to Play With Your Food. This is an event where teams are organized and come together to play games non-stop for 24 hours to raise money for a local charity that feeds homeless and runs several shelters and rehab programs. My daughter Lindy and I are "The Dad and Daughter Duo" and have personally raised something like $12,000 over the past 3 events. The last event raised around $37,000.00 with around 20 teams making up over 100 participants.
Jon's Two Truths & A Lie:
Poll
Which is the lie?
I scaled a dank, slimy log over raging water many feet below and then climbed up slippery mountain rocks to walk behind a 200 foot waterfall in Mexico.
I went to the same school as the man who was the inspiration for Homer Simpson.
I graduated high school second in my class with a 98% average.
      89 answers
Poll created by ooogene

Okay, I'll start the week off with some questions for John!

1. How long did it take you to build that amazing looking table?
2. What is your favorite gaming memory with your daughters?
3. What does your wife think of you being "Geek of the Week"?
4. You and I both love Railways of the World. What is your favorite map and why?
5. Do you ever come to the USA?
6. If your favorite hobby wasn't board gaming, what would it be and why?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Battle For Souls fan - I play on the side of HellMicrobadge: I play a Paladin!
Congratulations Jon!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jon! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jette Fire
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Who is your favorite board game reviewer, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Enjoy your week! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So well-deserved - congratulations, Jon! Your contributions to BGG are always a delight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
Congratulations Jon. Very well deserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooogene wrote:

4. You and I both love Railways of the World. What is your favorite map and why?
Ohhhh, let me see. Probably quite awhile. First I got old painted fir trim out of the 1910 elementary school in Herbert when it was destined for demolition. I stripped about 7 layers of paint off of it. Only then did I start building it. I would say over a week or something like that.

So many, this is hard. I think I have to include a few. Monopoly on the top of a 20 foot high stack of bales with the youngest two. Pirate’s Cove on the beach in Mexico while free camping. Clue Master Detective with all of them numerous times. Shogun with the youngest two one round every night before bed.

She says I am the geek of the week every day in her life. However, I don’t think she is entirely complimentary in saying this. whistle

I guess I still love the old original Eastern U.S.A. However, since I play so many game with 2 players and since I love Mexico, I would say that one is also top on the list.

Yes, I do. We are only 90 miles as the crow flies from the border. It used to be more normal to go across just for a day trip for something different to do but since 911 borders got less inviting. I have had a few of extensive trips and have visited most every state from the center to the west. Last time down was 1-1/2 years ago for my 30th wedding anniversary. We enjoyed it immensely!

Ohhh, well you see, it is board gaming and I,... is there other things? OK, reading perhaps. I still love me a good fantasy book. I just discovered Brandon Sanderson and cannot believe how good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Well I guess this is an easy one. Gandalf! I read LOTR the first time when I was 16/17 in Grade 11/12. First of all I could not believe how great this book was and secondly I, like I am sure most people, LOVED Gandalf. No wizard has held a candle. I have War of the Ring which I have played very little and LOTR, the co-operative which I like a lot despite not overly loving co-operatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Traveler wrote:
Congratulations!

Who is your favorite board game reviewer, and why?
Although I have read a lot of reviews here I guess I do not have a favourite. Long ago it used to be Tom Vassal and Shannon Applecline (from a different website). Now, I just read a handful for the particular game I am looking into (sometimes all of them) and try to take a cross section of opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for all the congratulations. It is truly an honour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Driving an orange VolkswagenMicrobadge: Procrastinator (image to be uploaded soon)Microbadge: Play a bird from your handMicrobadge: Polar bear blinking in a blizzard
Congratulations!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
Keep Playin'!
badge
I like games. I like Calvin and Hobbes. Oh, but I like games more.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jon! Always love seeing your pictures and hearing about your various gaming sessions with family. Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Men's Rights Activist
badge
The American Patriarchy ~ Keeping the Lights On for 100 Years! Thanks Guys!
Microbadge: BGG.CON attendeeMicrobadge: I'm a BGG zealot!Microbadge: BGG@SeaMicrobadge: Ernie and I go way back. We were all sepia in those days...Microbadge: BGG.Con
Enjoy your week, Jon!

All the best for your week of fame!

Laura
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
Microbadge: Blue Öyster Cult fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who fan - William Hartnell, 1st DoctorMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Flamme Rouge fan!Microbadge: Golden Geeklister
Congratulations Jon (Or was it Zebadee?) have a great week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: I love getting GeekMail!Microbadge: I have a heart for boardgames and boardgamers worldwideMicrobadge: I love G4GG lotteries!Microbadge: I love New York
Congratulations Jon! Firstly, can I say what an amazing contribution you've made with your efforts with your daughter through Play With Your Food - phenomenal! Now onto some questions

1db Euros are a genre I've found hard to get my head around; Ameritrash has been my bread and butter. Looking at my collection, what do you think would make a great Euro addition that I would enjoy and be suitable to two players?

2 If you could choose any living person to have at your home for dinner followed by a boardgame of your choice; who would it be, what's for dinner and which game would you play?

3 If you could have an official expansion for a game that you enjoy, what game would you have expanded and what would it implement?

d10-4 Without your input, what are the rest of your immediate family's favourite games to play?

5db What is your favourite corner of BGG to spend your time?

Look forward to your answers and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Congratulations!

Steam.

Toss up between Notre Dame and Railways Through Time.

Princes of Florence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
Congratulations Jon! Firstly, can I say what an amazing contribution you've made with your efforts with your daughter through Play With Your Food - phenomenal! Now onto some questions

1db Euros are a genre I've found hard to get my head around; Ameritrash has been my bread and butter. Looking at my collection, what do you think would make a great Euro addition that I would enjoy and be suitable to two players?

2 If you could choose any living person to have at your home for dinner followed by a boardgame of your choice; who would it be, what's for dinner and which game would you play?

3 If you could have an official expansion for a game that you enjoy, what game would you have expanded and what would it implement?

d10-4 Without your input, what are the rest of your immediate family's favourite games to play?

5db What is your favourite corner of BGG to spend your time?

Look forward to your answers and enjoy your week!
1. Euros are a genre I've found hard to get my head around; Ameritrash has been my bread and butter. Looking at my collection, what do you think would make a great Euro addition that I would enjoy and be suitable to two players?
Hmmm, maybe Lords of Waterdeep?

2. If you could choose any living person to have at your home for dinner followed by a boardgame of your choice; who would it be, what's for dinner and which game would you play?
This might be disappointing but I can’t think of any one person I would more like to enjoy a game with than my youngest daughter Lindy. We might have home made pizza and I would love to play Railways of the World Mexico map with her. But I would hope not to play just ONE game.

3. If you could have an official expansion for a game that you enjoy, what game would you have expanded and what would it implement?
Hmmmm, I think any of the games I enjoy that could use expansions already have them. Castles of Burgundy, Kingdom Builder, Airlines Europe, Railways of the World.

4. Without your input, what are the rest of your immediate family's favourite games to play?
Darlene - backgammon
Melissa - 10 Days in Asia
Ashley - Elder Sign
Stacey - Factory Fun
Lindy - Dominion

5. What is your favourite corner of BGG to spend your time?
geeklists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Congratulations Jon (Or was it Zebadee?) have a great week
Nothing boring about being called Zebadee!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Appreciate the little things in lifeMicrobadge: Billy Connolly fan - Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it onMicrobadge: GameChat League - Gelato Division: "Discover your favorite flavour!"Microbadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.
Mazel tov!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jon! I always enjoy reading your posts and gaming exploits, especially those with your daughters.

So, if we were ever to get together for a day of gaming, without question we'd play Railways of the World and Cribbage (a game I cannot think of without thinking about how many times you get to play it). So what is a game from your collection and one from mine that you would want us to play together?

I still want to create my own geeklist inspired by yours regarding the cost per play. That is a concept my wife and I talk about regarding our games all the time. Thanks for all your friendly comments on my posts over the years.

meeple Keep playing (and enjoy your special week!)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayboy wrote:
Thanks so much for all the congratulations. It is truly an honour!
And well deserved, sir! Hope it's a great week for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jon, have a great week!!!

Hey even the 'Riders won today, but we won't talk about their overall season record

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Enns
Canada
Herbert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
Congratulations, Jon! I always enjoy reading your posts and gaming exploits, especially those with your daughters.

So, if we were ever to get together for a day of gaming, without question we'd play Railways of the World and Cribbage (a game I cannot think of without thinking about how many times you get to play it). So what is a game from your collection and one from mine that you would want us to play together?

I still want to create my own geeklist inspired by yours regarding the cost per play. That is a concept my wife and I talk about regarding our games all the time. Thanks for all your friendly comments on my posts over the years.

meeple Keep playing (and enjoy your special week!)...
Well, from your collection I saw a number of titles I would like to play: Noter Dame, Bora Bora, and Kingsburg are all games I have only played once or twice and want to play again. Morels is a 2 player game I have long thought about and would love to play and Tzolk'in is a game I desperately want to play. So, I guess Tzolk'in, unless it sucks as a 2 player. If it does then, Morels.

From my collection, have you played Airlines Europe? It is a great route building game. If we go worker placement I love to teach people Amyitis. It is a great under appreciated game.

When are we doing this??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Congrats to one of my oldest GeekBuddies, I think I first "met" you via this geeklist, can't believe it's been 6 years since you've been maintaining it:
Tintin, Asterix and Muppet Avatars

I always enjoy your geeklists and photos, this one is probably my favorite of your photos:

A few questions:
1. What do you do "in real life"?
2. Is it hard to get games up in the Great White North? Do you have decent game stores or is it all bought online?
3. Would your daughter consider selling any more of those coffee mugs? whistle
4. Favorite game to play if you've only got 2 players? Why?
5. Do you think they will ever release another Tintin film? It's already been, what, 4 years since the last one, they keep pushing the sequel back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |