Puerto Rico» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Third Time Play, Three People, The Beauty of Bad Decisions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty and I had eached played twice before, but this was Jessie's first time out.

Since our previous two plays have occured about 3 or 4 months apart, Marty and I are far from exceptionally promising govenor material. Also neither Marty nor I had won one of the previous games, although even having a couple games under our belt really helped up make some better decisions than Jessie. However, it was Jessie's randomizing acts that really made the game fun.

The results: yours truly with 23 points, followed by Jesse with 22, and Marty with 21.

The fact that people are allowed to make poor decisions seems to be the biggest critique I've seen posted of this game, and it seems sillier to me all the time.

I constantly had to change my plans because Jessie did something very unexpected and shifted all things around. This, to me, is a great success of the game, and furthermore failing to plan for her randomness would be (and was) an error on my part. Marty almost always acted like I expected him to (and I venture I threw Marty very few surprises), which could arguably make him a weaker player than Jessie (he did lose after all) because his "good choices" were predicable.

Incidentally, I wasn't sitting to the left of Jessie and still won.

Perhaps I'd be singing a different tune if I had lost, but I don't think so. Jessie certainly wasn't doing anything aggressively stupid, and her "interesting" choices definitely had me shifting gears and scrambling for a new course of action almost every turn, which to me equates to more fun than frustration.

Marty and I also have an unstated agreement among each other to not just use other players, especially newbies, as pawns in our continual war against each other. We tend to judge a game's success not in relation to the overall outcome, but to who finished better between the two of us.

Now a few words about the game play...

My "strategy" previously had been in shipping lot of cheap goods for the victory points (usually with the aid of a wharf). I actually wanted to try something different this time, but I guess old habits die hard, and I had three corn plantation when the game ended unexpectedly soon, in what might have only been the 9th round when we ran out of settlers.

Actually, it was I who "imminentized the eschatolon" (any Robert Anton Wilson fans out there?) by choosing the merchant to sweep up the remaining colonists and giving Jessie the last turn of the round to try and best what I thought was a more sizable lead.

This game, however, I paid MUCH more attention to choosing a card with dubloons on it, and fortunately I was lucky enough to often want to choose a coin laden card to further my "plans".

This was the first game in which I used a hospice, and I liked its effects, especially in speeding up the end, but also in making me a producing threat early on. I generally tend to play a good front game, but find myself struggling in the later rounds. This time I did have a staffed coffee roaster with two accompanying plantations at the end of the game, though I never got the chance to produce with them, so I think I would have had some more economic clout toward the end than I generally do as well.

Overall, it was a fun game because nothing worked out the way I was
Also just wondering if the three player games are always much shorter than 4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Re: Third Time Play, Three People, The Beauty of Bad Decisio
jollypirate wrote:
The results: yours truly with 23 points, followed by Jesse with 22, and Marty with 21.

Are you sure you are counting points properly? I just cannot imagine a game of PR ending with such low scores all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.