22 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Game Room Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Labbe
msg tools
Hi Everyone.

I am putting together some plans to build a game room. There would be a television on one wall with a sectional sofa in the middle of the room facing the tv. On the other side of the sofa would be a gaming table and some cabinets for storing games and glass cabinets for displaying some of my collectibles. I am looking for some decor primers from the group. Post some photos of your game room to showcase your space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
There can be no TV in a game room.

You may be drawing designs for a den, a man cave, a spare bedroom, or some such room where games can be played, but it is not a game room.
What an obnoxious comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

You may be drawing designs for a den, a man cave, a spare bedroom, or some such room where games can be played, but it is not a game room.
Trust me. I can be obnoxious.

My comment was less obnoxious than yours.

It is your opinion that a TV belongs in a gameroom? I don't see it. Please clarify, if you can.
I never said that. You are the one making the obnoxious absolute statement, not me. "There can be no TV in a game room." Like you are somehow the be-all and end-all judge of what does or does not belong in a game room. That is what makes it obnoxious, and quite honestly, idiotic. There is nothing obnoxious at all about what I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
motoyugota wrote:
...There is nothing obnoxious at all about what I said.
That isn't really for you to judge.

Having said that, can we get back to talking about game rooms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
...There is nothing obnoxious at all about what I said.
That isn't really for you to judge.

Having said that, can we get back to talking about game rooms?
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You are flat out wrong. If he think a TV belongs in a game room, then it belongs in his game room. You are the one that is judging things that you have no right to judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Trust me. I can be obnoxious.

My comment was less obnoxious than yours.

It is your opinion that a TV belongs in a gameroom? I don't see it. Please clarify, if you can.
I never said that. You are the one making the obnoxious absolute statement, not me. "There can be no TV in a game room." Like you are somehow the be-all and end-all judge of what does or does not belong in a game room. That is what makes it obnoxious, and quite honestly, idiotic. There is nothing obnoxious at all about what I said.
Don't forget to check with the Game Room Police so you don't install something illegal accidentally.

I didn't. Imagine my horror when all my books and my computer were seized in the middle of the night under the Someone on the Internet Doesn't Want a TV in Their Game Room So You Can't Have One Either Act 2015.

Thank goodness I managed to cancel my order for the TV I wanted to play video games on in my game room. Now I know that video games have no place in a game room and we're all better people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well mine is a work in progress and will be until I buy my dream house. but anyways some idea suggestions:
game boards as posters/wall art
some iconic lighting, I'm planning to have my main gaming table lighted up like the war room in dr strangelove*
A coat of arms if your the type
Perhaps even stained glass to put in your glass cabinet
up lighting if you got the right setup

*and yes I am that guy who will say "gentalmen please! you can't fight in here, this is the war room!" and with how compendative some of my friends are I will say it plenty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
Check out my Steam game moving app "Game Pipe" on GitHub: https://github.com/DjScribbles/GamePipe/releases
badge
Real holographic simulated evil Lincoln is back!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you've already gotten this far, but Ikea Kallax shelves are fantastic for board game storage (deep cavities so no games stick out).

A handful of portable end-tables are handy for people to keep drinks on. Any small portable surface will do nicely. This way, drinks and games can co-exist peacefully.

You can get some pretty awesome designs for gaming tables if you want to go all out, with removable table tops and a recessed cavity for the actual game to be played in; thus you can leave games setup inside the table, while you play different games on the tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loggiewarrior wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I am putting together some plans to build a game room. There would be a television on one wall with a sectional sofa in the middle of the room facing the tv. On the other side of the sofa would be a gaming table and some cabinets for storing games and glass cabinets for displaying some of my collectibles. I am looking for some decor primers from the group. Post some photos of your game room to showcase your space!
I wish I had that much room. Then again, my requirements for my game table would pretty much mean that I'm using something similar to my dining room table (about 3 ft x 6 ft). Add in room for chairs, and that's at least a 7x10 ft room.

That said, I can use several rooms for boardgames; but which one I'd actually use would depend on what's going on. My gatherings are typically parties, and not intentionally purposed as a game night.

The usual room (the sun room) I'd use for boardgames is separated from the TV room by a half wall (there's an open archway on the upper 4 ft of the wall... you can still see the TV ... but it would be hard to hear it). So the TV is not a big distraction; and any chatter from the boardgame would also be hard to hear from the TV room. The sun room is about 9x13, if I remember right. I use very sturdy IKEA shelves along one wall to act as a bench; and folding chairs and tables to fill it out.

If nobody is watching TV or playing Just Dance (which is the typical party activity we have), I can use the TV room instead. It's about 13x14, with sofas along two opposing walls, and a large square 2ft-high table in the center (about 3.5 x 3.5 ft).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kefauver
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a mini fridge in mine, so cool drinks are always at hand for my players. Nothing fancy, but it's nice so people don't have to trek all the way back to the kitchen for a refill in the middle of a fast-paced game.

Some sort of speaker system is also nice (even if it's just an ipod dock, etc) so you can put on some nice, soft mood music when you play.

I personally made a project out of making my own game table, though that's obviously not mandatory. Having a modular table is very nice, though, since you can, say, put two card tables together for a big game (something from FFG) and pull them apart for an intimate 2 player/4 player experience. Plus, if you're a tabletop game player, it gives the DM some workspace.

I have a TV in my game room personally, but it's not hooked up to anything that gets a signal. Therefore, it's only really used as a game aid. For example, a DM can use a laptop to throw a picture up on there to set the backdrop for a scene. And I can plug in some multiplayer game (Super Smash Brothers Melee or the like) if we want to unwind after a long game and don't feel like setting anything else up, or if someone arrives to a game night at that rough spot where you're far enough into the game you can't restart but still have some time to go. There's no risk of someone getting bored and turning on The Walking Dead or anything, and there's no remote, so you have to get up and turn it on. No temptation to casually do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game room is fairly small (in comparison to what you are describing here). It has a table (adjustable for size of group and size of game), good lighting (overhead light as well as some floor lights), a small electric fireplace heater (we keep our house pretty cool in the winter so I warm the room up early and then generally turn it off once we're all there as body heat keeps the room warm) and a small fridge (I keep stocked with water but if others bring their own drinks they can stay cold).

Not to fan the flames, but I don't have a TV in the room as that can be a distraction, but that's just my feeling. I also don't play music, have a computer, etc. However, if you don't have a PC in the game room you MUST have at least one person with a Smart Phone. When rules questions arise BGG is our first lookup. So...a PC or Smart Phones are important (IMHO).

I have side tables for snacks and drinks. The fridge is pretty conveniently located near the table (at the end of the largest shelf that sticks into the room) so that two people could reach it easily. My friend has his in the corner by his seat and he can get in and out without getting up - which is also very nice.

I'd say one of the most important things is lighting. You need good light that won't cause glare for certain seats. I've gamed at places where the table is near a window. The glare can cause people in 'the wrong seats' to have to twist and turn occasionally to see everything. I personally believe lighting is one of the most overlooked factors in a good game room.

Just my 2 cents...luck with getting in all setup. I think you'll find you're never quite happy with it and constantly want to tweak it to make it 'perfect' (or maybe that's just me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
loggiewarrior wrote:
Hi Everyone.

Maybe some nice wall art?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53019/minimalistic-poster...

ninja edit: http://www.mronthewall.com/category/store/prints/boardgames/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a TV in your game room, and nobody pays attention to the game you are playing because they are distracted by something on the TV, then you have a problem with your game group, not your TV.

There are plenty of board game-related use cases for a TV. And many more if you consider that you and your friends may enjoy video games in addition to board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
If you have a TV in your game room, and nobody pays attention to the game you are playing because they are distracted by something on the TV, then you have a problem with your game group, not your TV.
I strongly disagree: if there is a TV turned on in my field of vision I am distracted. Even if what I am doing is very interesting for me.

If one of the gamer turns on the TV, the problem is the gamer.
If the TV is already on and the gamers are distracted, the problem isn't the players but the TV being on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a TV mounted on the wall in my game room. I stream my laptop and phone to it so that I can show "How to Play" videos to people learning a new game. Sometimes that works better than my teaching the game, sometimes not. Also, the game room is where I sleeve cards, assemble box inserts, punch tokens when I get new games, etc. Therefore, having a TV in the room is useful again as I might watch sports, game review videos, etc. in the background while doing "game stuff".

That is a no brainer - definitely put a TV in your game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sir benji
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree, there's lots of uses for a TV in a gameroom, and we're already seeing integration between games and computers/tablets/phones (alchemists, xcom, etc.).

A TV is a bad term for it anyway -- they're screens/monitors that happen to have TV tuners integrated in them. (Sadly, I do not have a "game room" and the dining room -- where I do play games -- has no screen). I don't have any desire to stream traditional television in the game room, but I can see plenty of uses for having a computer with an output everyone can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My $0.02 regarding the TV; I think a TV can absolutely belong in a gameroom. More and more games are incorporating a screen in their mechanics.
I will say that I think a TV can be a distraction, whether it's on or off. A TV that's off usually reflects a distorted image of the room. So if you have the room and funds for it, put the TV in a cabinet, so it's hidden from sight when not in use. You can just use a cupboard with doors hiding the TV or something more elegant like a rising TV cabinet.
You could also opt for skipping a TV altogether and installing a roll-down silver screen on the ceiling and a beamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Stop Thief! fanMicrobadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
You're going to want something to absorb noise: plants, tapestries, cloth furniture, cloth window treatments. Something. Carpet or rugs can be nice on this front as well if you have hard flooring. Just don't get something particularly shaggy. You don't want to hunt for a downed blue Pandemic cube on your blue shag carpeting.

You might also find this video helpful: Dice Tower: Top 10 Game Room Essentials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb