Subject: Don't want to read the rules? Check out the video here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... Where there's a URL, QR code, or both, that'll take you to a video of how to play the game. On one hand, some rulebooks are poorly written*, and some games are legitimately quite hard to learn just from reading it from the rules. OTOH, if it gets more people up and running and into the hobby, then why not?

Anybody bother with these? If so are they any good? Presentation, coverage, and at least better than the rulebook.

* although I'm skeptical they'd provide a video version of their rulebook on account that they probably have failed to acknowledge just how bad their rulebook was in the first place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Keyflower has a good video but I am not sure they produced it. That is what you mean,correct? Their rule book is lacking so I thought of it.

WatchitPlayed does the one I was thinking of. Rodney does good work. I like the guy. Boring and precise.

I know I have seen urls in books but can't remember which ones or if I watched them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
... Where there's a URL, QR code, or both, that'll take you to a video of how to play the game. On one hand, some rulebooks are poorly written*, and some games are legitimately quite hard to learn just from reading it from the rules. OTOH, if it gets more people up and running and into the hobby, then why not?

Anybody bother with these? If so are they any good? Presentation, coverage, and at least better than the rulebook.

* although I'm skeptical they'd provide a video version of their rulebook on account that they probably have failed to acknowledge just how bad their rulebook was in the first place
As mentioned by the previous poster, I do a series that is specifically videos designed to be a replacement for the rule book. I work with the publishers directly to ensure the videos are accurate and incorporate the latest errata, FAQ information.

You can find all the games we've features sorted by playlists here: https://www.youtube.com/user/WatchItPlayed/playlists?flow=gr...

Or if you would prefer a list format, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_It_Played

Our early videos are not as polished as our later ones, but they might give you a sense of what video tutorials have to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to second the Watch It Played videos.

These are fantastic resources and the first place I check when I want to learn a game. I also rewatch his videos if I'm about to teach a game he has covered.

Additionally, he has full playthroughs with his kids of some of the games which really gives you a feel for the game.

The one downside is that if you watch all of his videos (not just the ones you're looking for rules for) you find yourself wanting/buying a lot more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aiko van Wingerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the best example of this I've been subject to is the Android: Netrunner video tutorial. The Netrunner rulebook is, as many FantasyFlight manuals... Horrible at teaching people the game.

Their video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y) is wonderful though. It's quite flavorful (Besides the very cheesy catchphrases >.>

Minus points to FFG for not adding in a link or QR code to the video. I'm afraid that just the manual will turn people off of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm not going to break out y mice n mystics, mostly because i don't know where to look, but the WiP video was made in conjunction with the publisher and I am pretty sure the url is in the rulebook.

Again, he does a great job explaining and his over-enunciation is FAR less irritating than listening to someone play a fake game and repeat the word "um" a few hundred times.

I you happen back in here I only give you bad time because I like you, Rodney

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken to making how to play videos for my games, but I'm not sure if anyone uses them or if they really achieve anything the game doesn't.

They tend to be supplementary rather than replacements though, enough to get someone started and deal with the main game states but without explanations of every possible interaction or thing.

I do make an effort to include useful indexes in my rules to try to make it easy for people to look up details that interest them.

This is my most recent effort, it's for a simpler game, but I'm not sure how well it stands up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls