Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grzywacz
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Founder LexiCon Tabletop Gaming Convention in Lexington and CinCityCon in Cincinnati!
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended part of a charity gaming marathon for "Extra Life" which seemed a perfect place to play a few new games. I brought Floating Marked, which I had picked up on kick stater.

Floating Market is a dice based game where you place your workers on boats to get fruits to win the game. You have extra workers that can get you money to buy fruit (it costs 4) or you can influence the dice to win the fruit outright if you are on the right boat. Boats have different numerical ranges that are a result of the dice thrown that round.

There was 3 of us, Chris, Richmond and Ally.

I went first and placed my worker on a high numbered boat and also put in my 12 sided dice in the pool to increase the overall roll.

Richmond also went for a higher numbered boat (the range just under mine) and put in his 10 sided dice.

Ally went lower and put in her negative 6 sided dice. On her next turn she also bought a negative 2 card to decrease the score more.

Chris and Richmond placed their workers on opposite sides of the river, if any of the boats on that side got fruit that round, they would get money.

The dice were rolled and totaled 6, with the negative dice and -2 maker, Ally won that round and also scored some extra money by having a worker on the next boat that scored fruit. Richmond also received money, but no fruit, because the boat was on his side of the river.

The next round Richmond scored more money by being on the right side and having a boat two or less away from the scoring boat. Chris paid a dollar and got to also get a fruit because his worker was next to the selected boat. Ally again was on the selected boat and picked up another fruit.

This continued to the last round where Richmond was able to purchase a fruit with his four dollars, just before Chris was able to purchase fruit, thus winning the game, since he had the required 5 different types of fruit.

The game seems very simple, but has a surprising depth of strategy to it. While it is somewhat lighter, still took some thought and once you learnt to play, will still take about 45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls