Subject: Game Setup - How many dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing very casually with my wife. We don't have a big collection.
If we want to play 6 characters, how many dice do we need for setup? And what do we set the Life to?

We've been doing 6 characters, 14 dice, & 15 life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
I'm playing very casually with my wife. We don't have a big collection.
If we want to play 6 characters, how many dice do we need for setup? And what do we set the Life to?

We've been doing 6 characters, 14 dice, & 15 life.
You can do whatever you want. (Up to) 15 dice with 15 life sounds perfectly reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can setup anyway you want? How do we keep it fair and balanced?

What's the appropriate life for 6 characters 12 dice? I feel like there would be some kind of rule to insure that the game remains balanced and properly paced when deciding how many dice and characters you use at setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "casual" game setup is 10 dice, 10 life, 4 characters per player. Tournament setup is 20 dice, 20 life, 8 characters. Unless you are just starting out, there's not much reason *not* to go with the Tournament rules.

If 10/10/4 is too limiting, feel free to try 15/15/6. As long as both players are using the same guidelines it should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no specific rules regarding the ratios of life, dice, and cards to use, but, as Paul indicates in his post, multiples of 5:5:2 seem to work well, but there is probably a certain degree of "that's the standard ratio so it must work well" to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
So you can setup anyway you want? How do we keep it fair and balanced?

What's the appropriate life for 6 characters 12 dice? I feel like there would be some kind of rule to insure that the game remains balanced and properly paced when deciding how many dice and characters you use at setup.
As people have said you're able to do what you want and it ends up fair as long as both sides are using the same format. When Wizkids talks about tournament rules, they basically mean standard playing format (not just competitive tournaments).

So most people, after getting the hang of it just go for the 8 cards, 20 dice and 20 life format. Usually the number of dice and number of life are matched. So if you do 15 life, go for 15 dice.

You'll find with 8 characters and 20 dice that you won't use all of them or even each character. Mostly you'll focus on specific favorites and only purchase some fringe ones to counter something you're opponent is doing.

So 20 dice and 8 characters isn't that challenging to manage. It's really about how many cards and dice you have at the moment.

Ultimately it balances out by how fast you want to play, how many options you want, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. That's what I was getting at with the ratio of life, dice, and cards.

The problem is with our collection. We have a lot of characters but almost all have 2 dice. Some threes. So we don't have alot of choices when it comes to satisfying that 15 or 20 dice with 6 or even 8 characters.

So I'm wondering if there is a better way to start the game utilizing the sets of dice we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lyons
msg tools
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
Thank you. That's what I was getting at with the ratio of life, dice, and cards.

The problem is with our collection. We have a lot of characters but almost all have 2 dice. Some threes. So we don't have alot of choices when it comes to satisfying that 15 or 20 dice with 6 or even 8 characters.

So I'm wondering if there is a better way to start the game utilizing the sets of dice we have.
I'm new to the game myself. I've played a couple of dozen games, maybe more.

With your collection you could try 4 characters, 9 dice, 9 life. That way you only need one 3 dice card for each of you.

Or, what would happen if you went with 5 characters with 10 dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:

You could buy a second copy of the same starter ... that would double your dice.

Other than that, I don't know shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also new to the game.
For the time being I only own this Uncanny XMen starter set.
The first game I played with my wife was according to the "training first game" on the rulebook (2 characters with 2 dice each - totalling 4 - for each player, and 10 life points). But that runs short once you know the mechanics.

Then we played with 3 characters with 2 dice per character, and 12 life points.

In the future, I guess we will do a draft to get 4 characters + 8 dice (2 dice/character) and will play to 12 or 15 points. Unless we learn to block better.
Because 10 life points sounds very few to me. Our games lasts 10 minutes or so when every other game we own lasts much longer than that written on the box.

Since it's for casual gaming, and I don't like collectable games, maybe we'll buy just a few more characters and another copy of some dice to boost some characters. But only 3/4 characters (at least at the beginning) help to speed the game and avoid AP. I guess once we get to know all characters cards we may want more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls