Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe its just me, but results(per rules) seems too simple and unrealistic.

Pros: More realistic and more random results.
Cons: Not easy to get results. Need calculator(or good math mind).

Or does this radically change gameplay/strategy/planning too much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GenChaos wrote:
Maybe its just me, but results(per rules) seems too simple and unrealistic.

Pros: More realistic and more random results.
Cons: Not easy to get results. Need calculator(or good math mind).

Or does this radically change gameplay/strategy/planning too much?
FWIW, you are only looking at one third of the combat system as the asymmetry comes when you add in hits and air ratios.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
This feels like complexity for the sake of complexity. When planning, I generally care about the number of die results that will cause my operation to fail (driven - generally - by the upper and lower bounds of the die results), so I don't think this actually adds more flavor to the die rolls (if anything, it smooths out the curve and reduces "tail risk". Which in my mind actually makes things less random).

Btw, back of the envelope, you made A/N slightly less bloody and ground slightly more bloody. Reason for that?

Edit: I hasten to add that extra randomness is not actually a pro in my book. I just don't think there is extra randomness in the proposed CRT, even for people who want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vignuzzi
Canada
Burritts Rapids
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus - another con, damage to units is very discrete in the game and this makes it less effective, not more.

I would expect that the curve, while visually pleasing, would actually require changes in much more than just the CRT as fractions will be dropped in most situations and the curve as shown will actually reduce the damage in most battles. For example, in ground combat, 1.5x of 12 is 18 and will take out 3 steps in an AA US Marine invasion. 1.4x is only going to take out 2, so the impact is much more severe.

This game sort of works on a base 6 (really more like base 12) for attack and defence strength. So using 1/4 increments works well. Moving to decimals will add precision but lack accuracy. Think of the CRT as a non-linear quantization of a smooth curve..

It's an interesting thought, but I don't think it will improve the game. There were other suggestions, published in C3i that modified the intel table and reaction distances to give more range there as well, but I think they, as with this, would end up creating a different game. It might still be good, but it would not be the same game.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
Btw, back of the envelope, you made A/N slightly less bloody and ground slightly more bloody. Reason for that?
The A/N graph with old values has 2 rises and 3 flats.
The G graph with old values has 3 rises and 3 flats.

So with that, I smoothed it the best I could. If someone has higher math skills, I would be more than happy to update the numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenChaos wrote:
RezardVareth wrote:
The A/N graph with old values has 2 rises and 3 flats.
The G graph with old values has 3 rises and 3 flats.

So with that, I smoothed it the best I could. If someone has higher math skills, I would be more than happy to update the numbers.
I think the point that other folks are making is that a smoother curve is not necessarily better or more realistic. It gets very complicated when you consider the other elements mentioned. The main message is that it's risky messing with one bit of the system in isolation.

By all means though, try it out in a few games and let us know how it compares to your experience with the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls