Steve Alston
United States
Brevig Mission
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warfighter Lovers,

I have recently purchased the game and only played a few times. While I really enjoy the game, I've been thinking about some house rules. I was curious about your thoughts on them, and maybe find out if you had any house rules. Here are some thoughts (for the record, at the time of posting this, I haven't tried any of them).

1. Attachments on weapons don't cost resource points. I.e. a scope, or suppressor doesn't cost points. Maybe this could only be applicable to weapons with rails? Just a thought.

2. Players may purchase a skill card that is equal to 1/3 or their resource points for free (rounded down). They may only purchase a single card though, so they cannot divide the points into multiple skills.

3. A modified campaign mode. In this case, players may convert kills into future skills (again for free). While I haven't really thought about this, I think for every 10 points, players gain 1 free skill point (which is able to be spent however the player would like. They may be saved. Skills gained this way become part of the player and during future missions, do not cost the player anything (however they are attached to a character in the game. When that character is KIA or on medical discharge, you cannot use him for the remainder of the campaign.

I realize that theses modifications make the game easier, but I am interested in seeing if anyone has tried playing like this and if it made a significant difference in their games.

Thanks, and please leave your thoughts about this and what you think would make a good house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Free attachments and discounted skills would make the game significantly easier. The campaign "gives" you "free" skills and compensates those by making the game harder. I mean just a few bonus points "costs" a significant disadvantage if you play with the situation report cards.

I mean if you feel you would enjoy the game more if it was easier, I can't stop you. However, I feel you would benefit more from choosing a more efficient team than by giving yourself bonus points. On the other hand, I will agree that the game can be difficult so a little handicap is a great way of making it easier while simultaneously giving you more sweet gear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Alston
United States
Brevig Mission
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Francisco I recognize that the game designer likes to balance benefits with game difficulty. For me, that doesn't really change anything. If you make the game 5 points easier on one side and 5 points more difficult on the other, you haven't really changed the equation. This way, there is a subtle change. Also, players don't have to do more than one of those modifications. Personally, with all the work you have to go through to set up the game and characters, getting destroyed after putting in all that time and effort is a little disheartening. I still really enjoy the game and thank you for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be insistent, but you might want to check out the situation report cards (from one of the newest expansions)

One of the users here was gracious enough to provide the full text of these cards https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462536/one-shot-one-kill-c...

Thanks
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb

I'll include one here for your convenience
xBino wrote:
Well Defended: +4 RP/+3 Hostile; Gain 4 RP and add 3 to the Objective's hostile value

For only 4 RP you have to add 3 points worth of hostiles, pretty harsh cry

Maybe using them to modify your game (while giving you few extra RPs to play with) will help.

The "Jam" optional rule is also helpful to squeeze out a few more points (I almost always play with it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Steve_Alst0n wrote:
I have recently purchased the game and only played a few times.
Warfighter is a lot about finding the right combination of soldiers, loadout, and soldier configuration (e.g. Solo Squad Leader, multiple player soldiers, etc.) when tackling missions. A great part of the fun (at least for me) is toying with this puzzle for each of the various mission/objective combos.

I would encourage you to continue exploring with what's available before moving towards implementing house rules, but there's nothing to stop you from doing so to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls