Subject: Mass Effect variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I had already posted in another thread that I`d try my hand at doing some cards based off the Mass Effect franchise.

Took a while for me since I underestimated the task, both in time and ambition

So here`s the modest result of my work, I`m hoping to get some advice in regards to playability and balance. Thanks in advance for any feedback, and here hoping that these cards won`t be of use to only me

[EDIT: 2016-04-19 - Retouched most of the cards to fix typos or make text bigger. Also added Aria, Kasumi, Grunt and Wrex.]

Aria T`Loak

EDI

Garrus Vakarian

Grunt

Jack

Kasumi Goto

Legion

Liara T'Soni

Liara T'Soni

alternate rare

Shepard

Fem Shepard

Tali'Zorah Vas Normandy

Wrex Urdnot

Thx all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Mass Effect fan, I am impressed, although your skill descriptions and combos need some fine tuning.

Furthermore, don't put multiple combos in one card, try to make combos straight forward. Also, combos should not be triggered using both classes and factions together as this is usually no different than just combo using classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for the feedback, I'll adjust the cards shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous guy. You have some AWESOME ideas, but some of the cards are a bit too busy.

Also, I'd advise against the Push/Pull Liara card. That Push effect is game-breakingly strong. Any effect that slows down the Villain deck is going to be overpowered unless it's an ultimate. Having a Common card with that effect and no-Triggers needed is just crazy. With a decently slimmed deck you could just permanently stall out the Villain deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Shepard:
for

for

for

for

Liara:
Swapped her uncommon:
for

for

Miranda:
for

for

for

Garrus:
for

for

Tali:
for

Looks better?
I'll update the OP when satisfied with the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO 7+ cost cards should be save for just rares. There is precedence, plus you don't want the HQ getting clogged with cards you can't afford. If you feel that the strength of the card warrants 7+, and it's not a rare it is probably overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
IMO 7+ cost cards should be save for just rares. There is precedence, plus you don't want the HQ getting clogged with cards you can't afford. If you feel that the strength of the card warrants 7+, and it's not a rare it is probably overpowered.
Agreed, that Miranda card should be a 6 at most, maybe even a 5 at a push. The gain for attack is heavily outweighed by the fact you're KO-ing a card for the rest of the game, so it doesn't warrant so high a cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for the comments guys, I'll correct them shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea contribution

EDI
Class: N7

Defense Matrix
Tech
3 Cost
2 Recruit

Whenever a card effect causes you to discard this card, draw a card.

Designed for Infiltration
Covert
4 Cost
2 Attack

Covert: Draw two card, then discard a card.

Nano-Repair
Tech
6 Cost
4+ Recruit

Choose a player. That player KO all Wounds from his hand and discard pile.
Tech: Discard a card. You get Recruit points equal to the card's cost.

Unshackled AI
Tech/Covert
7 Cost

Play a copy of each hero card in the HQ.
Tech/Covert: If any of the card copied is cost 7 or more, recruit that hero for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea contribution

Legion
Class: Geth

My name is Legion: for we are many
Tech
3 Cost
2 Recruit

A Tech hero of your choice in the HQ costs one less this turn.

Hacking
Tech
4 Cost
2 Attack

Tech: You may place a Tech card from your discard pile into your hand.

Geth Infiltrator
Tech/Covert
5 Cost
2+ Attack
2+ Recruit

Reveal the top card of the Villian Deck. If it has Ambush effect, you get +3 Attack. If it has Escape effect, you get +3 Recruit.

M-98 Widow
Tech/Ranged
7 Cost
8+ Attack

To play this card, you must discard two cards from your hand. You get +2 Attack for each Tech card you discarded this way.
Tech: Whenever a Villian's Fight effect would cause you to gain any Wounds this turn, you may discard a card instead. You get +2 Attack for each Tech card you discarded this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bloodwurm wrote:
Thx for the comments guys, I'll correct them shortly.
Costs corrected and I updated the OP with all my latest cards.
Forgot to redo Miranda's alternate rare so will do so shortly. Still looking for some proper art for her uncommon <sigh>.

@Misfiring: I didnt have much for both EDI and Legion, so I really appreciate your suggestions. Independently of if I come up with versions of my own, I think I'll get something out with yours as is, just to thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea Contribution

Wrex
Class: Urdnot Clan

I AM KROGAN!
Strength
1 Cost

Defeat a Villian of cost 3 or less for free, or you may KO this card to defeat any Villian for free.

Mercenary
Instinct
3 Cost
0+ Recruit
0+ Attack

Versatile 2

Clan Leader
Strength
5 Cost
2+ Attack
2+ Recruit

You get +1 Attack for each card played that has attack symbol, and +1 Recruit for each card played that has recruit symbol.

Krogan Battlemaster
Strength/Instinct
9 Cost
7 Attack

Put all I AM KROGAN! cards from the KO pile into your hand. If you have no I AM KROGAN! cards, draw two cards.
Strength Instinct: Whenever you defeat a Villian, you may draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea Contribution

Grunt
Class: Urdnot Clan

Pure Krogan
Strength
2 Cost
1+ Attack

Strength: +2 Attack

Charge!
Instinct
4 Cost
4+ Attack

Play the top card of the Villian Deck. If it's a Villian, you get +2 Attack.

Fortification
Strength
6 Cost
4 Attack

Whenever a Villian's Ambush or Fight effect would occur, you may reveal this card instead.

Krogan Berserker
Strength
8 Cost
8+ Attack

You may play the top card of the Villian Deck. If it's a Villian, you get +8 Attack.
Strength: You may gain up to 8 Wounds to get up to +8 Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
clembo2021 wrote:
Also, I'd advise against the Push/Pull Liara card. That Push effect is game-breakingly strong. Any effect that slows down the Villain deck is going to be overpowered unless it's an ultimate.
So I've been thinking a lot about this issue with my card. While I totally agree with the observations made, I'd like to keep the effect around. But I also don't want to make it a rare, nor would I want to make Liara's current rare an uncommon. So I came up with this little idea:

Upgradable: Means the card's effects changes depending on how many exact copies of the same card were previously played. The player can choose to play any effect for which the requirements have been met but only one effect can be played per card.

What do you guys think? It preserves the powerful telekinetic effect while making it hard to play (harder than a rare I would say).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not super happy with the art but it's been surprisingly hard to find her using her biotics.

Updated the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bloodwurm wrote:
@Misfiring: I didnt have much for both EDI and Legion, so I really appreciate your suggestions. Independently of if I come up with versions of my own, I think I'll get something out with yours as is, just to thank you
Payback Time!

EDI:

Legion:

Thx again for the suggestions misfiring, Grunt, Wrex and Mordrin coming up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Finally got to updating Miranda's rare alternate. Had completely forgotten about it. In the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Not to fond of Leading by examples art bring female Shepard while the rest are male. Perhaps use one the following art instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodwurm wrote:
clembo2021 wrote:
Also, I'd advise against the Push/Pull Liara card. That Push effect is game-breakingly strong. Any effect that slows down the Villain deck is going to be overpowered unless it's an ultimate.
So I've been thinking a lot about this issue with my card. While I totally agree with the observations made, I'd like to keep the effect around. But I also don't want to make it a rare, nor would I want to make Liara's current rare an uncommon. So I came up with this little idea:

Upgradable: Means the card's effects changes depending on how many exact copies of the same card were previously played. The player can choose to play any effect for which the requirements have been met but only one effect can be played per card.

What do you guys think? It preserves the powerful telekinetic effect while making it hard to play (harder than a rare I would say).
To me this card can either be useless or game breaking depending on how many you have in your hand. It is true that any effect that slows down the overall Villian progression is game breaking, however I think I know of a way to prevent this, thus I present my own idea on this:

Telekinesis
Instinct
6 Cost

Choose a Villian in the city. That Villian escapes. Rescue all Bystanders captured by that Villian.
Whenever a Villian escapes, if it has no Escape effect, you rescue all Bystanders captured by that Villian, and if that Villian has 6 Attack or less, you defeat that Villian for free.

I think this still has the pull and push effect of a biotic, but will not be game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My god that artwork! You have my deepest respect. Keep up the good work!

Two more characters:

Kazumi Goto
Class: N7

Tactical Cloak (uncommon)
Covert
0 Cost

When you recruit this hero, put it into your hand.
Place this card on a space in the HQ or in the city. If it's a Hero, reduce the recruitment cost by one. If its a Villian, reduce its attack by one. The effect applies to any player and lasts as long as the card remains.

Master Thief (common)
Covert
2 Cost

Choose a player and play a copy of the top card in his discard pile. If that card is a Tactical Cloak, put that card into your hand instead.
Covert: You may reallocate a Tactical Cloak card in the HQ or city to another space in the HQ or city.

Decoy (common)
Covert
3 Cost
0+ Attack
0+ Recruit

Do one of the following:
1. Choose a Villian in any player's Victory Pile. You gain +Attack equal to its Victory Point.
2. Choose a Hero from any player's discard pile. You gain +Recruit equal to its printed Recruit point.
Covert: You may discard a Tactical Cloak card in the HQ or city. If its in the HQ, reduce that hero's cost by 3 this turn. If its a Villian, reduce its Attack by 3 this turn.

Shadow Strike (rare)
Covert
8 Cost
5+ Attack

You may discard any number of Tactical Cloak cards in the city. You defeat all Villains and "gain" all Heroes in the affected spaces for free.
Covert: Whenever you defeated a Villian this turn, you get +5 Attack.

Aria
Class: Omega

I AM Omega!
Instinct
2 Cost
1 Recruit
1 Attack

Instinct: The next hero you recruited goes into your hand.

Don't F*** with Aria
Strength/Instinct
6 Cost
3 Attack

Once per turn, if you defeated an Enemy, gain a hero of equal or less cost based on the Villian's Victory Point from the HQ.

Biotic Lash
Ranged
6 Cost
2+ Attack
2+ Recruit

Once per turn, if you recruited a hero, you may defeat a Villian of equal or less attack based on the hero's cost for free.
Instinct: +2 Attack and +2 Recruit

Biotic Flare
Strength/Ranged
9 Cost
6+ Attack

If you defeated a Villian, all other Villians in the city get -Attack equal to half of this card's Attack.
Instinct: This card gets +4 Attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
EDI's Designed for Infiltration card should say "Draw two cards" not "two card".

Also, PLEASE keep working on this. I love Mass Effect.

Suggestion: Make alternate card art for Shepard for each card so that each has a ManShep and a FemShep version. For myself, I only ever play Mass Effect as my FemShep and would love all Shepard cards to have a female version of the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for catching that, I updated the OP with the fix for that mistake and an updated set for Shepard, for both genders

I haven`t had a lot of time to work on this lately, but don`t fear, I`m still interested in continuing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I just edited the OP with a refresh for all cards, fixed some typos, made text bigger, etc...

Also added new heroes: Aria, Kasumi, Grunt and Wrex.

Big thanks to Misfiring for all his great suggestions!

I also have all those cards in french if anyone is interested.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls